PDA

View Full Version : legallity of selling garters

grdn1014
01-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi, I live in IL near Chicago in the states, and i heard a few states have passed some laws pertaining to the sale of particular garters, especially ribbons. Anyone have any information or know where I would be able to find more information about the laws of my state or states around me.

I breed corns and I was considering getting a pair of ribbons to increase and vary my stock a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Gordon

Cazador
01-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi Gordon,
I'd give the Illinois Department of Natural Resources a call, and ask them your question. Here's a link to their regional offices, including one in Chicago.

DNR (http://dnr.state.il.us/about/officeadd.htm)

Here's a link to the fish and game departments for all 50 states, in case you want to find the right info for your neighboring states.

States Fish and Wildlife Departments (http://www.lib.washington.edu/fish/fandg/fandglist.html)

How about letting us know what you find out when you're done, okay?
Rick

grdn1014
01-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Ah, thanks so much! I'll be contacting them sometime during the week and I will defiantly get back on that.

Elliot
01-21-2007, 09:02 PM
You might have a hard time finding any ribbons, they're fun snakes though.

grdn1014
01-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Yes, I have had a hard time finding a good breeder, or at last resort a supplier, with at least 1.1. Why is this?

Elliot
01-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Well there are no morphs that I know of, they don't live as long, and garters are just generally "prettier" and easier snakes. I like my ribbon, but the problem is the only ones you can get are parasite-infested wild caught animals. I guess they just never caught on. Rant over.

ssssnakeluvr
01-22-2007, 09:48 PM
I am hoping to get a couple breeding pairs of the red striped ribbon this summer.....:)

grdn1014
01-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Hm, they are cute little animals but if they are, in fact, how you describe them Elliot then they dont sound worth the time, money, or risk of parasites getting to the rest of my snakes. :mad:

Maybe I will try to get a trio of garters. What appealed to me most about Ribbons is their semi-aquatic lifestyle. Half the fun of having an animal is overdoing the tank display. :p

suzoo
01-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Hello Grdn1014, I have Garters, and mine are in the water almost as much as my Ribbon snake was. And my Ribbon wasn't as personal (friendly), always moving away from me, but my Garters won't leave me alone :)
So personally I prefer the Garters. You may try a pair of each and see which you like better.