PDA

View Full Version : sexing

garterchick
06-29-2008, 06:42 PM
ok, due to recent events i have lost complete faith in my reptile shop sexing guy, so i need to learn how to do it myself. i tried "popping" the ones he labeled males but, to be honest, i didn't see anything. i looked on line for sexing probes and found some sets that include very small probes, but i don't know if they're small enough and how i would use them safely.
any advice?

Snake lover 3-25
06-29-2008, 07:07 PM
i really wouldn't pop or prob unless you are really experienced..... it can seriously hurt them.....:(

anji1971
06-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I've also heard that popping only works within a few hours of birth?
Don't quote me there, it could be a bit longer, but I'm fairly certain there is a limit to how long you can use that method.
And probing does sound risky..........not sure what to tell you, Tina.
I can tell what most of my babies are by the tails, even though they're tiny. The differences still seem to be there. Again, I could be completely off in that judgement too,:rolleyes: but it worked for Deejay when she was a baby!

ssssnakeluvr
06-29-2008, 09:26 PM
they can be popped in the first couple weeks after being born. probing can cause serious injuries if not done by someone experienced....

adamanteus
06-30-2008, 06:02 AM
I always sex my snakes by appearance alone these days. Sometimes you get it wrong, but I'd rather be wrong than risk causing an injury.

infernalis
06-30-2008, 06:37 AM
I always sex my snakes by appearance alone these days. Sometimes you get it wrong, but I'd rather be wrong than risk causing an injury.

That's where I am at... I have several "unsexed" snakes that I refuse to shove a probe up their vents, even if I was a pro, if the snake wiggles just right while that thing is up their butt, NO NO NO I won't do it.

Since my only breeding projects are Garters, and once they are even slightly grown, features like head width, neck thickness, and tail can distinguish the difference, not to mention, I order all my snakes pre-sexed.

The REALLY important animals are kept in a way that the sexes cannot get mixed up, so breeding plans can be made without question.

garterchick
06-30-2008, 08:08 AM
but how do i know which snake babies are males or females before i sell them?

drache
06-30-2008, 03:25 PM
you'd either have to wait until they're a bit older
or hm, . . . I don't know