PDA

View Full Version : New Member- Just Got a Garter

racheletc
06-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Everyone!

I just got a garter snake and want to verify id and that my enclosure is ok. I have about 40 T's, but no snakes, so I have a couple quick questions.

I believe I have a western garter snake. It's about 18" long. I have no idea if it is cb or wc as I am at least the third (and last!) owner.

Pics of snake and enclosure are below, if someone could let me know if my id is right and my tank looks okay (it's a 10 gallon tank with screened top).

Quick questions are: I live in SoCal (just south of LA in the beach cities) do I need to provide a heat source in tank as it does not really get outside of the temp ranges indicated in the care sheets? Also, how often should I feed it?

Any help is appreciated.

Rachel

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc21/waitwill/P1010001.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc21/waitwill/P1010003.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc21/waitwill/P1010002.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc21/waitwill/P1010004.jpg

adamanteus
06-21-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi Rachel, and welcome to the forum.:)
Your new snake looks like an Eastern (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis) but these don't occur in the wild where you are..... Did you buy this snake or catch it?
Love your set-up by the way.

Stefan-A
06-21-2008, 03:07 AM
Welcome aboard, Rachel. :)

It looks a lot like my T. sirtalis parietalis, but T. sirtalis sirtalis would be my second guess.

A heat source would be recommended to get a temperature gradient, and you can feed it once or twice a week.

drache
06-21-2008, 03:56 AM
welcome to the forum
my guess is also Eastern
your enclosure looks real nice
it may be a bit difficult to keep clean though

infernalis
06-21-2008, 05:06 AM
Hello Rachel, welcome to you and your snake.

Looks like a very nice set up:D

Sid
06-21-2008, 05:24 AM
HI Rachel and welcome to a great forum. Nice Garter and setup.

el lobo
06-21-2008, 05:46 AM
Looks like a T. sirtalis SOMEthing to me....enclosure looks just fine!

gregmonsta
06-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Welcome garter friend :D

Garter_Gertie
06-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Welcome, Rachel. :D

I know! I know! I know! My first definite, correct ID! It's an Eastern! Ittiz the spit an image of Winnie! Yup! Definitely an Eastern. My first ID! :D

anji1971
06-21-2008, 07:04 AM
Hello, and welcome! I like that snake, very nice colours.:)

Zephyr
06-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi and welcome! You have an eastern garter snake, Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis for sure.

EdgyExoticReptiles
06-21-2008, 11:43 AM
it does kinda look like a parietalis but i guess it could be an eastern..

Zephyr
06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
it does kinda look like a parietalis but i guess it could be an eastern..
I've seen this coloration in wild eastern males a few times. The light brown on scale row 1 and the green between the scales above it gives the ID away.

EdgyExoticReptiles
06-21-2008, 11:56 AM
idk does look an awfully like stefan's female parietalis... and my old male that i sent to tina..

I've seen this coloration in wild eastern males a few times. The light brown on scale row 1 and the green between the scales above it gives the ID away.

Stefan-A
06-21-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't see any of the green you mentioned. In fact, the only thing I can name right now, that would set it apart from my female (perhaps it's more like the male I had) parietalis, is the fact that the bars above the lateral stripes are the same yellow as the rest of the snake. But those bars appear to be the same shape and have the same regularity as on several parietalis I've seen and the sirtalis sirtalis I've seen so far that have had even a remotely similar pattern, have all had pretty much solid black on top of its head.
Despite it's name, a red-sided doesn't necessarily have red on it.

racheletc
06-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info everyone:)

I got the snake when I bought a bunch of new tarantulas from a friend - it was 'thrown in', but I think it's really cool so am planning on keeping it. If it's Eastern, I have no idea idea how it got here, and I have no way of knowing if it was cb or wc and simply traded around. I am about as far west as you can be in the continental US.

It was in a much smaller KK when I got it, so I hope he likes the new digs. I'll get a heat rock for it tomorrow (we're having a heat wave right now, so it's 90F outside).

If they're anything like T's, you probably can't have just one, so I'm looking forward to having more.

Rachel

Zephyr
06-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't see any of the green you mentioned. In fact, the only thing I can name right now, that would set it apart from my female (perhaps it's more like the male I had) parietalis, is the fact that the bars above the lateral stripes are the same yellow as the rest of the snake. But those bars appear to be the same shape and have the same regularity as on several parietalis I've seen and the sirtalis sirtalis I've seen so far that have had even a remotely similar pattern, have all had pretty much solid black on top of its head.
Despite it's name, a red-sided doesn't necessarily have red on it.
The striping and the coloration on row 1 give it away. The green I'm talking about is in between the checkering on the higher scale rows. (Appears sort of white-ish.) From my experience, parietalis don't have the kind of tan-brown coloration on row one. The specimen also resembles the following eastern specimens; *One's mine and one's Don's.*
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/6688/img0146vp3.jpg
http://www.donsgartersnakes.net/images/yeleast.jpg

Zephyr
06-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info everyone:)

I got the snake when I bought a bunch of new tarantulas from a friend - it was 'thrown in', but I think it's really cool so am planning on keeping it. If it's Eastern, I have no idea idea how it got here, and I have no way of knowing if it was cb or wc and simply traded around. I am about as far west as you can be in the continental US.

It was in a much smaller KK when I got it, so I hope he likes the new digs. I'll get a heat rock for it tomorrow (we're having a heat wave right now, so it's 90F outside).

If they're anything like T's, you probably can't have just one, so I'm looking forward to having more.

Rachel1. Don't use heat rocks. Use a basking light. Also, with 90 degree heat ambient room lighting will be fine.
2. I believe I know you. You sound like one of the tarantula people from the roach forum. XD

Stefan-A
06-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Those two both lack the sharply defined bars and they have the typical sirtalis sirtalis spots along the lower margin of the lateral stripe.

adamanteus
06-21-2008, 12:31 PM
I have no idea idea how it got here, and I have no way of knowing if it was cb or wc and simply traded around.

My guess is that it has been captive for a while and has worked it's way from the east. Whatever, it's a nice snake. With the temps you're experiencing just now, I wouldn't bother with an additional heat source.

You're right, these things are addictive.... This is your first Garter, not your only Garter!:D

Zephyr
06-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Those two both lack the sharply defined bars and they have the typical sirtalis sirtalis spots along the lower margin of the lateral stripe.Notice on her specimen how rows 1 and 2 mix, especially anteriorly, and how further down the body the black coloration becomes prominent on row one. I have no doubts that it's an eastern. :)

Stefan-A
06-21-2008, 12:36 PM
It has been noticed, and it's not uncommon in parietalis. I have no doubt that it may not necessarily be an eastern. ;)

crzy_kevo
06-21-2008, 01:32 PM
hey there and welcome to the forum
enclosure looks like a lot of work but very nice indeed and your garter is beautiful too

adamanteus
06-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Stefan, Kyle..... I guess we'll never really know which one of you is right. :) To quote Rossman et al (and Sjoerd)...

"This genus has long stood in the minds of herpetologists as a synonym for chaos..."

Zephyr
06-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Stefan, Kyle..... I guess we'll never really know which one of you is right. :) To quote Rossman et al (and Sjoerd)...

"This genus has long stood in the minds of herpetologists as a synonym for chaos..."I can see World War III coming out of this... Let's all agree it's T. sirtalis. ^^

Stefan-A
06-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I wonder if Rachel will find that quote useful.. ;)

adamanteus
06-21-2008, 02:02 PM
I wonder if Rachel will find that quote useful.. ;)

I'll PM her what it really is!;):D

Stefan-A
06-21-2008, 02:06 PM
I'll PM her what it really is!;):D
A duck? :D

racheletc
06-21-2008, 02:16 PM
There are arguments like this all the time on the T forums. Choas indeed...

T sirtalis sounds good to me:)

Odie
06-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Rachel :)

Lori P
06-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Welcome Rachel! Your snake is beautiful, and your set up is great. :-) Hope you enjoy it here!!

jitami
06-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Welcome Rachel! We had a tarantula for a few years... pretty cool critters. I have a feeling you'll enjoy your new snake too. I'm in northern Ca and yeah, you really don't need an additional heat source. In fact, with a 10 gallon tank and warm ambient temps it may do more harm than good. I almost cooked our little guy when we first got him... poor fella had crinkly scales and was constantly climbing the glass trying to escape the heat. I have a 20g long now and do use a basking lamp on one corner, but I use the lowest watt bulb I could find and have it raised about three inches above the screen lid. It keeps the basking spot in the high 80's low 90's and the far end tops out at about 82. Not really enough gradient, but it's the best I can do with this set up and the snake tolerates it well. He's usually up on the basking spot. However right now he's hiding under paper towel substrate. I was gone all weekend and hubby turned the air conditioning down to 68 degrees F. I didn't figure this out until late this morning when I couldn't figure out why I was freezing! Trying to warm the snake tank up, but snake still burrowed... poor guy! It should be feeding day, but I'm going to wait until he decides to come out of his hide and warm up... sigh...

lestat
06-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Hello and wellcome to this wonderfull site. Any questions you need answering about garters, this is deffinately the place for the answers. Your snake and set up are very nice.

racheletc
06-23-2008, 05:29 PM
I'lll likely go with the basking light jitami as soemone else recommended that as well. It's still very hot in SoCal, but I'm very close to the ocean so the temps should fall into the normal 70's F soon.

Thanks everyone for your help! This site is really friendly:)

beaniesmommy
06-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Welcome! I am a new snake owner too and you are right this is some of the kindest, most intellegent people in one place you will ever come across!