PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sweden

Loise
07-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Hello there!
How nice of you to check this newbie out!:p

I´m a gal from sweden, right now I "only" have and breed cornsnakes and are looking forward to some day be a Thamnophis owner.. in first hand I´m interrested in Sanfrancisco Garter.. for now:rolleyes: I guess you al know the addiciton with snakys!! *lol*

well I guess this was my short intro here.. now I just looking forward to learning LOTS and LOTS on this site!!

Tudels!!:D

ssssnakeluvr
07-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the forums....I am jealous...bing outside of the U.S. you can get the San Franciscos.....Beautiful snakes!!!!!

Boots
07-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the addiction...I mean forum! :)

Welcome to the forums....I am jealous...bing outside of the U.S. you can get the San Franciscos.....Beautiful snakes!!!!!

I have to wonder whether the San Francisco garter would still be on the endangered list if they included of all the snakes’ being breed in captivity.

Of course if they removed the snake from the endangered list, I am pretty sure it would disappear from its native habitat.

Jason

ssssnakeluvr
07-28-2006, 08:40 PM
They probably don't count thse since they aren't in the U.S. in the wild.... I'm sure they would disappear from the wild if they were removed!!!

ssssnakeluvr
07-28-2006, 08:53 PM
i am also incurably addicted!!!!!!! :D

Electrokate
07-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Welcome! I too envy your right to the SF garter though I can actually say I don't really care if my garters are SF or concinnus as long as they are red and black. (: I like the more checkerboard appearance of some of the others too.

Can you get California red sideds? They are also nice. Maybe someone from this list can mail you a few snakes (not the SF of course), I don't know what the legal issues are with that but I also breed killifish and we have successfully mailed fish to your country as well as received them. Long as they are not CITES listed it is fine.

Here people outside the small group of garter enthusiasts generally view us as kind of weird for not keeping large snakes. They think garters are for beginners and kids. Is it that way there or do you get respect? I don't really understand it, that is like saying parrots are more cool than finches. Of course bird people do that too. I like animals that can't harm my other animals if they escape since I keep fish and birds, and that can be housed humanely easily. The fact that they can fairly easily be bred is nice too!

Kate

Loise
07-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Here people outside the small group of garter enthusiasts generally view us as kind of weird for not keeping large snakes. They think garters are for beginners and kids. Is it that way there or do you get respect? I don't really understand it, that is like saying parrots are more cool than finches. Of course bird people do that too. I like animals that can't harm my other animals if they escape since I keep fish and birds, and that can be housed humanely easily. The fact that they can fairly easily be bred is nice too!

well it sound much the same as over here *lol* As I only ceep cornsnakes at the moment I´m a little geegy girl :D conserning al the tuff- bigsnakes, venomus and big lizzard people.. but when it comes to the cornsnake people I´m kind of the pesty littel "know it al" girl :p that gets mad when people inbreed and sickens the lines och just make up new names to sell a few snakes.. :mad:

mayby when I get a few Thamnopis I´ll get some respekt from the cool guys, cuz here there are fairly few breeders/ceepers.. but realy... who cares!!;)

Electrokate
07-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Hi,
I too hate all the little cutesy names people make up... you can change color by feeding certain things to animals and of course people will photograph under different or special lights plus use photoshop to enhance color. I keep marine fish tanks and there is one type of tiny anemone type creature that grows in colonies, the people who keep "zoanthids" are obsessed with the naming of each color combination. They have even gotten into the absurd, like "armor of god" for red or "blue orgasim" (the kid can't even spell orgasm) or "baby got back" whatever the heck that is supposed to say... You can change the color of these creatures with different light bulbs, and cash value is determined by color. Here is the page full of them if you need a laugh:
http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=pnGallery2&func=main&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=15
I wish people would actually just learn the genus and species and then say "orange with green fringe and purple mouth". What is so hard about that? I have been told I need to name a couple I have. I say they are called "Fred" and "Jane".

Corn snakes can be beautiful but I didn't get into them because all the names confused me! I like red and black together, and brilliant colors in general.
Kate

Loise
08-01-2006, 02:38 AM
wow.. those names are realy kreative!!:p

Electrokate
08-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Hmm. I thought they were just plain stupid! (: Makes the corn snake naming seem sane eh?
Kate