PDA

View Full Version : Worms, Etc.

beaniesmommy
06-17-2008, 04:55 PM
We have tons of worms in our backyard here in Washington. How do I know which ones are safe and which are bad?

Oh and I got some Herptivite vitamin supplement by Rep-Cal for the snakes does any one have any experience with this?

How in the heck are you getting them to eat fish fillets? I can't get my WC snake to eat anything that isn't moving around.

I have been feeding my cornsnake the same diet except more... It that OK?

GartersRock
06-17-2008, 05:00 PM
You've been feeding your cornsnake worms??

adamanteus
06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Corn Snakes (certainly captive ones) eat a diet of appropriately sized rodents.

Snake lover 3-25
06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
idk about corn snakes diets.... but make sure that neither you OR your neighbors use weed killers or other pesticides because the worms eat them and they can kill your snake!!!:eek:

beaniesmommy
06-17-2008, 05:13 PM
No, I haven't been giving anything worms because I don't know which ones are good and bad. That is why I asked.... ;)

They have both only been eating pinkies or fuzzies. I was looking to vary the diet of my garter but was having some issues with the fillets (trout, salmon, tillapia).

I was pretty sure the diet of my cornsnake was fine, I am more concerned about my garter getting a well rounded diet.

adamanteus
06-17-2008, 05:16 PM
It surprises me, Andrea, that they won't take the fish... they're normally pretty keen. Try wriggling it around in front of them. Or get them 'in the mood' by feeding them a pink, then offer the fish.

Snake lover 3-25
06-17-2008, 05:16 PM
we had this thread a while ago... and if i remember correctly the snakes can determine which are good and which are bad and will leave the bad.... i feed mine the big ones!!!!:D:D

adamanteus
06-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Don't quote me... but the ones you find in your yard are always the good ones, aren't they? I've never seen a 'red wriggler' (compost worm) in my garden.

GartersRock
06-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Arent red wrigglers ok as long as they are raised for food?

Snake lover 3-25
06-17-2008, 06:05 PM
idk but i think they may be bad for them.... but like i said b4 someone in an earlier thread said that the snakes choose the good and will not eat the bad AKA red wigglers!!!!:D:D:D

Stefan-A
06-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Don't quote me... but the ones you find in your yard are always the good ones, aren't they? I've never seen a 'red wriggler' (compost worm) in my garden.
Ha-ha, I'm quoting you. ;)

The ones you find in soil are good, the ones you find under rocks, under leaves and anywhere else just below the surface or among decomposing plant matter (composts, for example) are usually bad. The big ones are good, the small ones are bad. ;)

beaniesmommy
06-17-2008, 11:20 PM
That is a little scary... Sometimes I find big ones under paver stones sometimes smaller in the dirt... Hum... Maybe no worms for my garter. Can I buy something specific at a store?

:rolleyes:

EdgyExoticReptiles
06-18-2008, 12:03 AM
fishing stored will often sell little tubs of like 12 nightcrawlers which are huge and definatly safe

That is a little scary... Sometimes I find big ones under paver stones sometimes smaller in the dirt... Hum... Maybe no worms for my garter. Can I buy something specific at a store?

:rolleyes:

infernalis
06-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Sporting goods department at wal mart, 36 pan fish worms $2.95, 24 Canadian crawlers, same price. open and check them in the store, I brought home a bunch once, and the fridge at wal mart had broken down, resulting in a bunch of dead worms.

Wayne

KITKAT
06-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Ha-ha, I'm quoting you. ;)

The ones you find in soil are good, the ones you find under rocks, under leaves and anywhere else just below the surface or among decomposing plant matter (composts, for example) are usually bad. The big ones are good, the small ones are bad. ;)

Not true in my neck of the "woods". I actually went to a website that gives identification by species... and I have never found a red wiggler on my property. Under logs and boards, I find Nightcrawlers of varying sizes, and the worms that live deeper in the soil, but never red wigglers.

I am also lucky that both my husband and my neighbor are practicing organic methods on our properties. My neighbor has a tiger, and they are very sensitive to chemicals. I do avoid the area near my front porch, where I use detergent to clean our litter boxes.

Snake lover 3-25
06-18-2008, 09:24 AM
wait your neighbor has a tiger!!!????:eek:

KITKAT
06-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Good worm identification site:

WormWatch (http://www.plantwatch.ca/english/wormwatch/about/key/intro.html) click on "start On-line Key"

Lori P
06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Kit Kat, did you say your neighbor has a tiger? Like-- a tiger?? lol

drache
06-19-2008, 01:22 PM
I remember when that tiger moved in, but I couldn't find the thread where KitKat wrote about it
yes - her neighbour has a tiger

adamanteus
06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I remember when that tiger moved in, but I couldn't find the thread where KitKat wrote about it
yes - her neighbour has a tiger

I think it's in 'Oh So Quiet'.

KITKAT
06-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Kit Kat, did you say your neighbor has a tiger? Like-- a tiger?? lol

You might be interested to know that there are more tigers in the USA, in private ownership, than there are in the wild and in zoos combined.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/rowdy_062207_3C.jpg

Lori P
06-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Well, that is indeed a tiger. How... odd. Guess you're reeeeeeaaaaaaalllly nice to those neighbors.... lol!!!!

Zephyr
06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Can... Can I name him Favio? :D

infernalis
06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
here kitty kitty, nice kitty:)

ssssnakeluvr
06-19-2008, 08:17 PM
here kitty kitty, nice kitty:)

yea....nice kitty!!!! what do you feed a 500 pound tiger????? anything he wants!!!!!! :cool:

Snake lover 3-25
06-19-2008, 08:40 PM
lol wow is it tame???? can they handle it???? why would you keep a tiger???? watchdog????:confused:

infernalis
06-19-2008, 08:51 PM
I have a couple neighbors you can toss in there:rolleyes:

Snake lover 3-25
06-19-2008, 08:54 PM
ME too!!!!:D:D:D

Lexa
07-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Is it even legal to keep a tiger in anything except a zoo?

adamanteus
07-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes it is Alex, as long as you have a licence.

Garter_Gertie
07-04-2008, 02:01 PM
The worms we have here under leaves, logs, rocks, down in the soil a bit are also okay. It's where Winnie came from besides. The only worms I've collected and give to her are the ones I've gone right outside the Visitor Center and gathered up. They come little, big, bigger. All sizes, but they're what I've always just called "worms." The skinnier smaller ones seem to be different than the larger ones. But what do I know? I've no idea even what a red wiggler is.

I'll prolly do the Wal-Mart worms for Peepers and Jeepers. But NOT the nightcrawlers since I've read they can come out either end; the back end killing the snakes. I'll get what we call angle (short for "angler," as in fishing person) worms. The smaller ones. It will take more at a feeding but I'm not going to risk the live o'MY kids!

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 02:04 PM
the night crawlers are fin to use just cut them into like 3 pieces they dont crawl around very well then
i use night crawlers to feed george she loves them
but if u dont cut them up feed your snake the *** end that way they will want to crawl towards the mouth and your snake will just swallow it back down until the worm dies inside

Garter_Gertie
07-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Kev, THANKS! Note to self: Nightcrawlers ARE otay if cut up so they can't crawl.

I appreciate the info, Kev.

Zephyr
07-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Be wary; the angle worms might be red wigglers, which are toxic.

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
ya plus they are rally cheap to you will see what im talking about after you cut them up but if your snake doesn't repond to the lack of movement try hand feeding and wiggle it around a bit

Garter_Gertie
07-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Oh, Zepher? Really. Thanks. I can tell by the red stripes or lack of, correct?

Zephyr
07-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Red wigglers are considerably tiny for worms, they sometimes have a piece of yellow inside the end of their tail, and they are striped.
http://www.mygreencorner.com/templates/mgc/images/redwiggler1.jpg
They look more red too; if the worms you're getting are african nightcrawlers, which I have used with no problems, the whole worm will be about 10x more purple.

KITKAT
07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
lol wow is it tame???? can they handle it???? why would you keep a tiger???? watchdog????:confused:

Sorry I was away and did not answer.

This tiger is partially tame, but no one enters his enclosure... ever! There is a perimeter fence that is four foot out from the inside fence, so no one can touch him.

There is also a small chamber that he goes in to eat, and when it is time to clean the enclosure, a door is shut, and while he eats, the neighbor cleans.

But I HAVE petted his back! He will lie down next to the inner fence, and allow my neighbor and I to scratch his back. We never do this close to the business end, though!:eek:

He eats 10 pounds of meat per day, usually chicken. The tiger eats the chicken pieces bone and all.

infernalis
07-07-2008, 03:34 AM
I'll prolly do the Wal-Mart worms for Peepers and Jeepers. But NOT the nightcrawlers since I've read they can come out either end; the back end killing the snakes. I'll get what we call angle (short for "angler," as in fishing person) worms. The smaller ones. It will take more at a feeding but I'm not going to risk the live o'MY kids!

They have been eating wal mart pan fish worms for a year:D 36 in a plastic tub for $3 and it lasts for some time, Cheap food.....

Garter_Gertie
07-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Wayne, have they had fish or pinkies, or both? I wonder how they'll like bunny drumbsticks? :D

infernalis
07-07-2008, 06:38 AM
fish & worms.

No Pinkies yet. They are still rather small snakes, and I have several animals that will ONLY eat mice, so I save my pinkies for them.

Garter_Gertie
07-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Red Wigglers will not survive our cold winters. So I've no fear of those I'm pulling out of/off of the ground at the park. And it appears they're not used as bait worms up here, either. But I will still check the angleworm containers, however.

Garter_Gertie
07-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Today Winnie had her FIRST EVER f/t fuzzy. The store was outta pinkies and I was worried the fuzzies would be too big. SILLY me! :D

Winnie wanted nothing to do with it so I just put her on the table and got busy talking to Dave and then he says, "She's starting to get interested."

So I grabbed the fuzzy tail and started dragging it backwards, away from Winnie who's now on HYPO ALERT! Picked the fuzzy up and STRIKE! Silly girl swollowed it butt first, but had NO problems.

That is the biggest meal she's ever had. Nice sized lump. She was out (Zzzzzzzz) in less than a minute and I gently put her back in her tank. She snuggled on her rock and went to sleep.

Will give her another one this coming Sunday.

Thass my girl! I love her so much!