PDA

View Full Version : What can I clean a cage with?

Kurly1
06-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I just bought a used aquarium for my son's garter snake. I want to give it a good cleaning but am not sure what I can use to clean it. What can I use?

Thanks

adamanteus
06-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Household bleach is good.... but you must rinse it thoroughly to ensure no residue is left behind.

EdgyExoticReptiles
06-17-2008, 05:10 PM
natural habitat for reptiles is good
even if you do leave some behind its ok, 100% natural

infernalis
06-18-2008, 08:05 AM
My choice for final clean up is vinegar based glass cleaners. No ammonia fumes.

keeps the glass shiny too.

Wayne

anji1971
06-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I use a vinegar solution, and rinse thoroughly. Every once in a while, I notice that the silicone in the seams takes on a bit of an odour, and then I use the bleach, to freshen it up. Again, rinse thoroughly.
I've never had any ill effects from these.

Spiritwolf
06-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I use a simple mixture of water with a little apple cider vinegar added to it (I'm sure white vinegar would work too, though). Carefresh substrate is easy to clean out of a tank. I remove the Carefresh with a small broom and dustpan, then sweep any dust from the floor, then give the cage a good cleaning with the vinegar water mix, and let it dry, then add new Carefresh, fresh water, etc

Loren
06-29-2008, 01:42 PM
I also use bleach and water, followed by lots of rinsing. If I have reason to want to do an extra good job (like with a used tank from unknown background), then I mix the bleach a bit stronger, rinse longer, then fill it with fresh water for an hour or so to make sure the bleach is diluted and rinsed out- otherwise I can still smell it.