PDA

View Full Version : Photo period and temps

Zephyr
06-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Well, it's been over 90 here for the past week, so we've had the AC on. The temps in my room have stayed a consistent 82 degrees during the day, so I've been leaving my reptile lights on in the mornings for basking and then turning them off around 1-ish. *About 5 hours basking time.* Is this alright for my herps? There's plenty of ambient light in the room, but my mother is worried about electricity, and with the lights on the tanks get around 90. *Which my adult female albino checkered and coastal ribbon seem to like.*

jeanette
06-09-2008, 05:44 PM
where your albino is concerned it doesnt need uv infact it is dangerous for all albinos as long as they have natural light they should be fine

Zephyr
06-09-2008, 05:50 PM
where your albino is concerned it doesn't need uv infact it is dangerous for all albinos as long as they have natural light they should be fineUm... I'm not using UV. And from a discussion with a qualified veterinarian, albino snakes are not negatively affected by the sun's rays. What I'm concerned about is whether or not the lack of a basking light through out the day section of their photoperiod will affect them, seeing as up until the temps went so high I had the light on most of the day.

jeanette
06-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Um... I'm not using UV. And from a discussion with a qualified veterinarian, albino snakes are not negatively affected by the sun's rays. What I'm concerned about is whether or not the lack of a basking light through out the day section of their photoperiod will affect them, seeing as up until the temps went so high I had the light on most of the day.
shouldnt affect them at all

Snake lover 3-25
06-09-2008, 05:53 PM
i don't turn on my lamps when it's this hot..... i just leave my blinds up..... and mine seem to do fine.......:D:D:D

Lumpy
06-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I have a full spectrum UV light and during the day, the tank is a steady 85F with the humidity running around 50%. I turn the light off when the sun goes down, and it cools off 5 to 10 degrees.

Lump

Snake lover 3-25
06-09-2008, 06:44 PM
really?????? i keep mine around 75 cooling 5-10 degs at night........... with the humidity around 35-45........... :confused:

Lumpy
06-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Well, the Garters living in my area would average about the same temp during the day in summer. Humidity might be a bit lower, but more variable.

I would think North Carolina would be more humid still. My Dad lives in Myrtle Beach, and it gets nasty hot and humid down there.

Lump

Elliot
06-10-2008, 12:59 PM
really?????? i keep mine around 75 cooling 5-10 degs at night........... with the humidity around 35-45........... :confused:

You mean 75 during the day? That's probably a bit too cool. You should probably aim for the low to mid 80's.

Loren
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
My reptile room is 84 during the day and anywhere from 72 to 78 at night- depending on the time of year.
Many of the snakes also have belly heat in the rear of the cages, but only the lizards, and my ground snake, have heat lamps, and only the lizards have full spectrum.
The only light the rest of the reptiles get is from the lizards lights lighting the room slightly.
The windows are covered in insulation panels.

Everybody seems to do fine this way- been like this for a couple years. They eat great, and grow well. Even the racers and garters.

Eventually I will install undershelf lighting for all the tanks for my viewing pleasure, and might make them come on with a timer for a few hours just to give the snakes a real daytime.

Snake lover 3-25
06-10-2008, 04:08 PM
You mean 75 during the day? That's probably a bit too cool. You should probably aim for the low to mid 80's.

Really???? but it's not that hot outside.......

anji1971
06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I've always kept my tanks in the living room, at normal house temps -- 72-76F. Some days in the summer before the AC goes on, they get a bit warmer, but in general, they've always seemed to be pretty happy.
Although some species may prefer warmer temps.......