PDA

View Full Version : Exo-Terra Enclosures.

dashnu
06-07-2008, 05:46 PM
So I own two of these bad boys and also want the PT-2163 for my pythons and I think the world of them.. HOWEVER my new guy I talked about in this thread : http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/garter-snake-lounge/3246-ahhh-he-bit-me.html got AWAY!! I was so pissed, he went missing yesterday and found today..

I search high and low yesterday I mean moved EVERYTHING even took apart my baseboard heat.. Nothing..

However today I went down the basement to get my girls blow up swimming pool and there he was!! What LUCK!

Anyways these Exo-Terra tanks have a "Rock Background" it also has "grooves" going down both sides of it to hide cables and in the top of the cage has holes... He popped right out of there.. I figured I would warn people because anything small can come out of them. You can close the holes by sliding a little lever over but truthfully I didnt even know it was there until I did some inspection of the enclosure to find out what the deal was..

Just a FYI.

adamanteus
06-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm glad you found him again, Brett.

dashnu
06-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm glad you found him again, Brett.

Thanks! Me to I was so grumpy after that :( ..... and what luck to find him again.. :D:D:D

drache
06-07-2008, 06:04 PM
good thing you found him and now you're one bit smarter too

Stefan-A
06-07-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm glad you found him. :) And thanks for the warning.

Sid
06-08-2008, 06:00 AM
Glad its safe and sound now. This can be a lesson for us all. Always check our enclosures very carefully for escape routes prior to introducing the snakes.

dashnu
06-08-2008, 07:00 AM
He is doing great now! I taped off all the holes and closed the little lever over them.. No Escape route now, or so I think :D

Last night he at a pinky and I woke up to a perfect full shed this morning.

The worst part of course is the thought of killing him, because bottom line you lose these guys in your house it would only be some time before they end up dead.

This is a pretty rare find for my neck of the woods and after reading about them even more rare that he was out in the open in my lawn... Which makes me think, I mowed yesterday and it took me 2 1/2 hours.. Before I began my snake hobby I could pull it off in 45 minutes. lol I'm a bit on the safe side now :) :)

dashnu
06-15-2009, 12:01 PM
So after using these terrariums for pretty much everything I own I wrote up a little securing guide on my forums (http://forums.herphut.org/securing-an-exo-terra-glass-terrarium-t19.html) about them. I can pretty much say you WILL loose your garters if you do not apply these steps. Hope this might help those of you who own or plan to own an Exo Terra.

brain
06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I can pretty much say you WILL loose your garters if you do not apply these steps.

Now that’s a good tip I have 6 of the 18x18x24 and 2 of the 12x12x12.
I was considering moving my sand boas out of the 12 x12 and moving in garters. Glad you pointed out the pit falls of the Exo.;)

dashnu
06-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Yea, like i said I learned the hard way :(

guidofatherof5
06-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Great "how to" guide on securing those units.
Nice job.

drache
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
yeah - great job