PDA

View Full Version : My T. ordinoides has eaten! And so has my Coast "Blue"!

Steven@HumboldtHerps
06-06-2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions regarding the feeding of Northwesterns. I have not witnessed any consumption of earthworms or slugs;the slugs tried to make it out the screen, so I opted to skip that meal type for now; and the worms, well, they are still in there somewhere (probably loosening the substrate) - I mist ("fog") the cage daily. And sooooo..... I put some tadpoles in SalmonBear's bowl. He has gobbled up a larval treefrog (Pseudacris regilla) and a larval red-leg (Rana aurora). This diet will last till the tadpoles turn, and then I'll try frog-scented pinkies.

Also pictured is my blue Coast Garter (not sexed yet) on its 2nd pinkie. What a piggy!

http://www.humboldtherps.com/images/2008-06-05HCHSimage-Northwestern_Garter_salmonberry_feeding_on_tadpole-_WC_Hunter_Creek_Area_Del_Norte_County_.JPG

http://www.humboldtherps.com/images/2008-06-05HCHSimage-Coast_Garter_blue_feeding_on_2nd_pinkie-_WC_Mad_River_Pump_Station_near_Arcata_CA.JPG

Snaky
06-06-2008, 03:32 AM
Always good to hear if they've eaten. Hopefully they're off to be very good eaters now :)

drache
06-06-2008, 04:08 AM
congrats
eating is a good thing
Salmonbear is beautiful

Sid
06-06-2008, 04:19 AM
Congratulation, glad to hear all is going well.

Thamnophis
06-06-2008, 07:26 AM
That is good news!

Both snakes are very beautiful!!!

Lori P
06-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Great to hear they're eating!! Salmonbear is a really handsome snake. :-)

Steven@HumboldtHerps
06-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes, even amidst all the red morphs I have come across, SalmonBear wa the best looking ordinoides with the highest contrast in colors.

In case you are wondering, I made up the name (my wife thinks its just plain silly) since the orange-yellows reminded me of our local salmonberries (sort of a watery salmon-colored "blackberry"). And right now salmnonberries are ripe, and the local black bears are devouring them; you can see seeds in all the poo! Anyways.... salmonberry, bears.... whatever!

adamanteus
06-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Salmonbear is quite beautiful. Great news that he's eating, I'm surprised he wouldn't take earthworms though.

jeanette
06-06-2008, 01:19 PM
great news :) :)

SpyrotheGartersnake
06-16-2008, 02:05 PM
where did you get a blue coast garter from? because they look beautiful and i was looking for one for about a month and found nothing breeders i knew didn't have the species.