PDA

View Full Version : hello ... my enclosures

mikm
01-15-2007, 10:06 AM
I house 2 colonies of 1.2 PNW garters ... red spots & puget sounds ...

GarterGuy
01-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Nice looking cages......hope to get some nice stuff set up for my snakes hopefully in the next month or so.:)

Gijs & Sabine
01-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Very nice indeed !!!:)
What floor substrate is it you're using ? And does it work ok for you ?

Best wishes,
Sabine

mikm
01-15-2007, 04:13 PM
hello and thanks so much for the kind words !! the top cage has a smaller piece version of CareFresh type bedding. Works especially well with smaller/younger animals. The bottom cage is filled w/compressed pellets of paper. I just tried this stuff in the bottom cage for the first time a week or so ago so I'm not sure if it's going to work out or not yet. I enjoy keeping small display colonies. For my own interests I decided to change up the inside decor whenever the mood strikes. Provides more incentive for those thoro cage cleaning times :))

thanks again !

Cazador
01-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Looks great! How are you heating them?

Thamnophis
01-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Looks like they have very beautiful terrariums.

mikm
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
heat ... the cages are 3'X2' ... I have had them for quite some time now and they were my very first design. I employed the services of someone advertising custom made dense plastic cages. I use Ultratherm Heat Pads 11 x 17 I got from the Bean Farm along with a temp controller. One of the heat pads is underneath a cage but the second in inside the cage covered by a few layers of white duct tape. With the temp controller in place the heat feels good to the touch. With a solid top and sides I do not seem to lose too much heat. Hot end is always very high 70's with low end at very high 60's. Any/all suggestions are most welcome ;))

Cazador
01-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Suggestions? Now, how is anybody going to come up with a suggestion better than using white duct tape? It can't be done. A couple of the people on this forum have inspired me to make my first malmite enclosure, but I've had reservations about putting a heat pad inside it. You seem to have come up with a good, working plan. I've toyed with the idea of putting a sheet of glass over the heat pad inside the vivarium, but I hadn't solved the issue of a snake being able to get under the glass with the heat pad. I also considered recessing a portion of the floor to accomodate the heat pad and glass, but I was concerned about water settling into the malmite. You're a genius, Marian! I think you've solved this problem. Thanks again,
Rick

suzoo
01-16-2007, 08:44 PM
You guys are all GREAT! Dang-it, now I have to redo my vivarium! lol

mikm
01-17-2007, 09:01 AM
hey there Rick ... you *guys* are alot of fun around here !! Now that duct tape comes in colors I've become more receptive to it, lol ;)) I have had the duct tape covering that heat pad for years and it's worked out great with the heat controller. I did build a few cages out of wood then melanine but all were just too heavy, unnecessarily so. As such, in my head, I went thru all of the various heating concerns as you have. You might want to check out this thread </TITLE> <link rel="stylesheet" href="/master.css"> </HEAD><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff" TEXT="#000000"><FONT FACE="Arial" size="2"> <!-- NOTE: consider related fdse files when revising--> <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; c (http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/wnw.pl?read=485827) ...

best of luck to you :))
marian

suzoo
01-17-2007, 09:24 AM
You guys are all GREAT! Dang-it, now I have to redo my vivarium! lol
So sorry, when I said "guys" I really meant "people"! :o

mikm
01-17-2007, 09:36 AM
no, no ... I was not referring to your post at all !!! I always say *guys* or *dudes* but occasionally I run across a woman who objects to it so I always try to remember to put those words in quotes or something ... seems to satisfy all :))

no offense taken ... enjoy your day !!!

suzoo
01-17-2007, 09:45 AM
no, no ... I was not referring to your post at all !!! I always say *guys* or *dudes* but occasionally I run across a woman who objects to it so I always try to remember to put those words in quotes or something ... seems to satisfy all :))

no offense taken ... enjoy your day !!!

lol and ditto!