PDA

View Full Version : feeling for babies

big J
05-31-2008, 01:50 PM
HI guys could someone please explain how to feel a garter for babies. I have a gravid sirtalis and it is her first litter. She is an 06 and was of realy good size before she became gravid. I'm not expecting to many babies, seeing that it is her first year of breeding. I think one of my pudgets is gravid but she isn't showing to much. I'm not sure if it is her first year breeding but I am guessing it is cause she is a little on the small side.

Sid
05-31-2008, 02:14 PM
I continue feeding as usual except I let them eat as much as the want.

Sid
05-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Sorry, I misread your question. As the female progresses you can rub you finger down her belly and feel the lumps.

EdgyExoticReptiles
06-01-2008, 12:07 AM
haha pudgets.. its pugets btw, how many garters do you have again? 50 right? are the mostly sirtalis?

big J
06-02-2008, 02:33 PM
sorry I"m late, I had to work pretty late yesterday. I've got about 50 give or take a few. most of them are babies to subadults some are wild cuaght rescues from neighbors who are terrified of snakes. The only ones I am breeding this year are the pugets, some extremely green sirtalis, checkereds, and some hybrids I bought at a show last year. The hybrids are checkered crossed with what the guy said was a texas garter. they look more like a checkered cross with a radix to me. I will try to post pics soon I'm having camera problems.

Sid
06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
sorry I"m late, I had to work pretty late yesterday. I've got about 50 give or take a few. most of them are babies to subadults some are wild cuaght rescues from neighbors who are terrified of snakes. The only ones I am breeding this year are the pugets, some extremely green sirtalis, checkereds, and some hybrids I bought at a show last year. The hybrids are checkered crossed with what the guy said was a texas garter. they look more like a checkered cross with a radix to me. I will try to post pics soon I'm having camera problems.
The hybrids you bought last year, were they by any chance purchased at the show in Columbia, SC? If so they are a cross between an Albino Checkered and a Texas Garter.

drache
06-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I thought the marcianus is a texas garter . . . ?

Sid
06-04-2008, 02:32 AM
I thought the marcianus is a texas garter . . . ?
Rhea the common name "Texas Garter" is a subspecies of sirtalis, the T. s annectens. We don't have photos of them in either the care sheets ot the Photographic Library, but they are dark brown with a red dorsal strip.

drache
06-04-2008, 02:39 AM
thanks Sid
you're up early too
I looked and decided that I really really want one
it's a good thing they're not so easy to find because I'm not supposed to want any more snakes right now

Zephyr
06-04-2008, 11:59 AM
thanks Sid
you're up early too
I looked and decided that I really really want one
it's a good thing they're not so easy to find because I'm not supposed to want any more snakes right nowI believe one of them members on here found them living near his apartment...

drache
06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
I believe one of them members on here found them living near his apartment...

oooohhh
okay, thanks
you don't remember who, do you?
I wonder whether they're allowed to leave the state

big J
06-06-2008, 02:01 PM
sorry i'm late again guys work has been killing me lately. And yeah I did buy them at the SC Colulmbia show last year. I Also picked up a pair of checkered albino babies. that show is 10 times times better than the raliegh show. That's pretty much the only two show within decent driving distance from where I live