PDA

View Full Version : Herping?

abcat1993
01-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Maybe you should add a section about catching/finding wild snakes. That might be a hot topic in the spring/summer.:confused:

GarterGuy
01-09-2007, 12:21 AM
I'd like to see a section like that. It's always cool to see other people's field pics.

El Nino
01-10-2007, 11:53 AM
I can't wait for summer. Finding this site has really got me in acquisition mode.

Sid
01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Here's one more interested in field herping (big time).

Sid

boeh
01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Hi guys

If some of you have the time for some habitat pictures - please take some for us :)

Best,
Cyrill

abcat1993
01-10-2007, 03:57 PM
And when exactly is the right time to find garters everywhere?

CrazyHedgehog
01-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi guys

If some of you have the time for some habitat pictures - please take some for us :)

Best,
Cyrill

Theres a thread with lots of these in already..
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/enclosures/170-enclosure-pictures.html

abcat1993
01-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I think he meant in the wild.

GarterGuy
01-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi guys

Best,
Cyrill

No problem.....I wanted to start taking habitat pics along with the snake pics.

GarterGuy
01-10-2007, 10:57 PM
And when exactly is the right time to find garters everywhere?

Spring, Summer, Fall.....I find that the best times is to go out the day after a cool or wet night (not tons of rain, just light showers or drizzle). The snakes will be out in the sun the next day warming themselves up. Also, if you go after rains, you're more likely to see amphibians out and about....and garters looking for them as well. Usually if it's been really hot and dry out, you're not going to find anything unless you look around water areas.

abcat1993
01-11-2007, 04:13 PM
I can't wait until spring. When I go turkey hunting again (assuming I do) there is a pond maybe 50 yards in diameter with a good THOUSAND frogs. If you walk within 200 feet of it you start seeing frogs like crazy. Also there is a creek with a some rocky ledges looking into it where I caught what I'm pretty sure was a baby timber rattlesnake deer hunting. Good thing I didn't say "yes" when my dad said "do you want to keep it?".
WOOHOO 400!!!

CrazyHedgehog
01-11-2007, 07:05 PM
I think he meant in the wild.

ah, sorry, me speed reading and not digesting again!

nessy
01-15-2007, 12:00 PM
crazyhedgehog: what about snakes in britain? have you cought/seen any, or are all of them protected?

CrazyHedgehog
01-15-2007, 01:39 PM
There are three types of snake in the UK..

The grass snake, supposedly quite prolific, however I have looked lots and never found one...not poisonous...if caught will often play dead...

The smooth snake, extremely rare, very protected, quite viscous if caught but again not poisonous..

The adder, (or viper) the only british poisonous snake, poison can kill but usually only in the very young or very old and if not treated quickly..
You are more likely to die from the anti-venom, so a bite is usually treated with very heavy doses of anti hystamines, don't think there has been a fatality in many years..

There is also a good colony of escalapean snakes in wales...some believed escaped from the zoo, others believe that the romans bought them over....not native but doing well.

I often go on full days snake searching, not to catch or even disturb, but just for the chance to get a photo in natural habitat...never been lucky, so gives you an idea of how 'prolific' they are..

(Have found some interesting things on searching....a good view of young munchjack deer, different types of newts, frogs and toads, common lizards and slow worms... and the biggest garden worm I have ever seen! - I held it with both hands and it pulled its way back into the earth with out breaking, just leaving a dirty great big hole!)

nessy
01-15-2007, 03:24 PM
ahh, thanks for that. i've heard of your first three but not the escalapean snakes... i'll have to look into that

slow worm!! i've always wanted to see one of those, i've seen them on videos off google and it's so cool the way they blink!

i've heard that they can be found sometimes under corrugated iron, dunno if you've tried that...

CrazyHedgehog
01-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Slow worms are cool, very much like a small snake, they are about a foot at the very most for a larger one, but usually around 8 inches...Theier bodies are flatter than snakes and more rigid...

Cool video, showing slow worm giving birth, very similar to thamnophis..
Film clip - Slow worm giving birth to live young - Slow worm - Anguis fragilis - ARKive (http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/reptiles/Anguis_fragilis/Anguis_fragilis_09a.html?movietype=rpMed)

Yes, any large flat object left lying around that gathers heat, corregated iron, wooden planks, old doors... etc..Used to find them in wasteland behind a building site.., just pick up the rubbish.. they are fairly slow too so easy to catch..

abcat1993
01-15-2007, 06:03 PM
do they burrow? Also, are they common pets.

CrazyHedgehog
01-15-2007, 06:22 PM
yes it burrows under tree roots, and soft soil in the winter to hibernate, but basks under things in the summer...

Not many people have them as pets, not sure if it is allowed? The only ones I know of, are where they have been rescued from a cat or similar and are kept as pets for a time whilst their health is checked..

nessy
01-16-2007, 06:33 AM
yeah, slow worm's are prohibited for trade/sale in britain i think. i would love to keep one though, they're so cool.

crazyhedgehog: escalapean snakes? are they be okay to catch/keep if they aren't native? i tried to do a search on google but couldn't find anything... would love to know more...

CrazyHedgehog
01-16-2007, 07:27 AM
You wouldn't find anything because I spelt it wrong!! Sorry...:o
correct spelling is..Aesculapian Snake
I used to work at the zoo, I was a locust breeder! thats all I did all day...
but we used to wander the zoo at lunch time, and the staff were often called to remove one from the play area, or picnic bench area...they are a largeish snake, the ones I saw were around 5 foot, and damn viscious.:eek: .I wasn't going anywhere near one!

If you do a search with the correct spelling you will find lots about it...:rolleyes:

suzoo
01-16-2007, 07:39 AM
I agree with garterGuy!
Also Early Spring on the first warm day. They are usually the first snakes out of hibernation, and if you know where they den, they will be sunning themselves on rocks, boards, etc. and are usually real slow, docile, and easy to catch.
Suzoo

CrazyHedgehog
01-16-2007, 07:41 AM
I agree with garterGuy!
Also Early Spring on the first warm day. They are usually the first snakes out of hibernation, and if you know where they den, they will be sunning themselves on rocks, boards, etc. and are usually real slow, docile, and easy to catch.
Suzoo

Unfortuneately just not in the UK...:(

suzoo
01-16-2007, 07:53 AM
CrazyHedgehog, yes, sorry, as they are very fun to catch. Your Slow Worm looks like our legless lizard. I enjoyed clip of it giving birth! Babies are prettier than Mom.
Suzoo

CrazyHedgehog
01-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Your Slow Worm looks like our legless lizard. Suzoo

LOL A slow worm IS a legless lizard... probably same thing!

suzoo
01-16-2007, 08:01 AM
CrazyHedgehog,
The Aesculapian baby snakes looked aggressive too, do you know if they tame down in captivity with handling?

suzoo
01-16-2007, 08:05 AM
I can't wait for summer. Finding this site has really got me in acquisition mode.

Me too!! Me too!!! Isn't Spring yet??
I have the nerve to ask that in the worst ice storm we've ever seen in Springfield, Missouri! lol:o

CrazyHedgehog
01-16-2007, 08:50 AM
CrazyHedgehog,
The Aesculapian baby snakes looked aggressive too, do you know if they tame down in captivity with handling?
No idea I am afraid...

abcat1993
01-16-2007, 04:10 PM
How many snakes have you found in the wild? I've only found 2 (my garter and a timber rattler which I sat on and almost kept as a pet). But then again, I haven't really been looking and it was that garter that I found that got me interested in looking for snakes.

Sid
01-16-2007, 05:39 PM
How many snakes have you found in the wild? I've only found 2 (my garter and a timber rattler which I sat on and almost kept as a pet). But then again, I haven't really been looking and it was that garter that I found that got me interested in looking for snakes.

In 2006 I found over 120 snakes:D . This isn't including frogs/ toads, lizards, salamanders, etc.:
Southern Ringnecks
Northern Ringnecks
Redbellied Snake
Eastern Worm Snakes
Eastern Kings
Mole King
Black Racers
Black Rat Snakes
Corn Snakes
Brown Snakes
Copperheads
Rough Green Snakes
Northern Water Snakes
Red-bellied Water Snakes
and of coarse a few Easter Garters

Sid

suzoo
01-16-2007, 08:30 PM
In 2006 I found over 120 snakes:D . This isn't including frogs/ toads, lizards, salamanders, etc.:
Southern Ringnecks
Northern Ringnecks
Redbellied Snake
Eastern Worm Snakes
Eastern Kings
Mole King
Black Racers
Black Rat Snakes
Corn Snakes
Brown Snakes
Copperheads
Rough Green Snakes
Northern Water Snakes
Red-bellied Water Snakes
and of coarse a few Easter Garters

Sid

WOW!! Someone out there like me?? I thought I was the only one!!! My kids even think I'm weird. lol
I forgot to mention the Northern water snake I have, I plan to release her in late Spring. She was so tiny when I found her late this last fall, I didn't realize how fast they grow, she's huge already, and hate everyone but me. lol Funny how they get to know you.
Suzoo

GarterGuy
01-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Last year I found,
Timber rattelsnakes
Northern copperheads
Eastern gartersnakes
Black ratsnakes
Black racers
Northern watersnakes
Northern ringnecks

.....hmm think that's about it...also did an outwest trip where I found a Gopher snake. This next year I've got trips planned or in the planning for the panhandle of Florida - Outerbanks, NC - Manitoba, Canada - and tons of day or weekend trips to spots around PA, MD, DE, VA, and NJ.

suzoo
01-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Last year my kids and I caught Gartersnakes, Texas Brown snakes, Eastern ringnecks, Rough Green Snakes, Northern Watersnakes, Prairie kingsnakes, Speckled Kingsnakes, A Gravid Blue Racer we immediately let go, 1 coachwhip we also let go immediately as he was nasty tempered, and several Hognosed which are a lot of fun! We love to catch and release snakes. All were found close to our home. :) I can't wait for Spring!!!

abcat1993
01-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Now that I think about it, I know that there are tons of snakes at both of my grandparents cottages. My dad grew up at his parent's, so he would know, and my friend at my mom's caught watersnakes/garters in his pond filled with toads and frogs.

OH, baby