PDA

View Full Version : Cod

Zephyr
05-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Is it safe for garters? I know it's a saltwater fish, so are there any special prep things I should do if I can use it?

Stefan-A
05-02-2008, 12:10 AM
I think I read on another forum that it's not okay, but I haven't been able to confirm it through other sources.

edit: Cod is on the list of species reported not to contain thiaminase.

Nothing needs to be done, if it's okay. The "only" difference between freshwater and saltwater fish, is how they regulate the salt levels in their system, so unless the meat has been soaking in saltwater, there's really nothing that needs to be done.

GGarter
05-02-2008, 05:01 AM
There should be no problem in feeding with cod.
I have fed my snake cod as a complementary diet, and it thrives well.
I don't feed fresh cod as they are prone to contain parasites.

The liver of the cod is very nutricious, although you should not feed liver too often due to the accumulation of ecotoxins in the liver.

Sputnik
05-02-2008, 05:19 AM
I know Cod is still sold in Fish and Chip shops over here, but isn't it an endangered species now? :confused:

Stefan-A
05-02-2008, 05:26 AM
It is classed as vulnerable. There are whale species with a "better" rating than cod.

GGarter
05-02-2008, 06:37 AM
There is a lot of different opinions on wether the cod is endangered. I don't know who classifies the cod as "vulnerable" but I know the fishery comission, and the fishermen, of the EU and the danish biologists have very different opinions on the matter. Fact is that the average size of cod in the north sea has decreased considerably over the last half a century or so. I'm an angler and spearfisherman myself so I just feed with meet located on the abdomen of the cod. Less waist the better.

gregmonsta
05-02-2008, 07:03 AM
If you boil the cod for ten to fifteen minutes it leeches out salt and destroys thiaminase. My first Ribbons were fed mostly on saltwater fish prepared in this way (as well as additional vitamin supplement in the water) and suffered no I'll effects. I nowadays stick to trout and pinkies (more natural garter fare ... and less fussing about).

Stefan-A
05-02-2008, 07:32 AM
I don't know who classifies the cod as "vulnerable" but I know the fishery comission, and the fishermen, of the EU and the danish biologists have very different opinions on the matter.
The IUCN. It's pretty conclusive that the Atlantic cod is in trouble.