PDA

View Full Version : How to make my snake swallow medicin

bergandersen
04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I need some good advise on how to make my snake swallow his medicin. I received two types of medicin from my vet today. Both fluid.
I gave him the first dosis today. Used at plastic syringe, without needle of course, and gently sprayed it down his mouth. He´s a small snake and it was almost impossible. I think half of the medicin ended on my fingers.

Any good ideas ?

adamanteus
04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Is the snake eating, Rene? If it is simply put the medicine inside the prey item. If it's not eating, I guess you're doing it the right way... it will just take a lot of patience!

bergandersen
04-29-2008, 02:51 PM
It´s not eating, unfortunately. Thanks...

Stefan-A
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
I suppose force feeding is also out of the question..

adamanteus
04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Good point, Stefan. Is the snake large enough to take a small pinky?

Lori P
04-29-2008, 06:52 PM
When my vet dewormed my snakes, he pushed the syringe a good bit down the throat... slowly, gently, but far enough so they didn't spit it up. And pushed the medicine in very slowly. Good luck! :-)

Zephyr
04-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Also, remember that snakes have that tube... Forget what it's called, but it allows them to breathe when feeding and when their throat is full. I would buy a longer syringe, holding the snake firmly behind the head, open the jaws and stick the syringe as far down as the snake will be, considerably, comfortable with.

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-29-2008, 07:48 PM
what I have used.. is if you go to an aquarium store or a hardware store... and get the thinnest flexible tube you can... make sure that you wash it out WELL before you use it and after... attach it to the end of your syringe and be gentle, but firm, about the way that you administer the medication. Make sure that you pump some into the tubing before you put it in the snakes throat so taht you dont pump a bunch of air into him... he won't appreciate that!!!

Zephyr
04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
what I have used.. is if you go to an aquarium store or a hardware store... and get the thinnest flexible tube you can... make sure that you wash it out WELL before you use it and after... attach it to the end of your syringe and be gentle, but firm, about the way that you administer the medication. Make sure that you pump some into the tubing before you put it in the snakes throat so taht you dont pump a bunch of air into him... he won't appreciate that!!!
LOL
Would make the snake look like one of those little hot-dog shaped balloons! XD

count dewclaw
04-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Also, if you can get one, a fine gauge IV catheter flexible tubing (without the needle) would work. Shannon's idea is probably less expensive, though.

Stefan-A
04-29-2008, 10:18 PM
One problem with extending the syringe, is that it's going to be harder to give the correct dose. But it's still worth trying.

count dewclaw
04-30-2008, 05:13 AM
If the extension is full and the syringe is filled to the correct dose the snake will get the correct dose. The amount in the extension (whatever you use) basically stays there. Hope that makes sense.

drache
04-30-2008, 06:57 AM
here one can get these little flexible tubes that can be put on a syringe instead of the needle
even the regular vet has them
but if the fluid has a tendency to gel or thicken in any way, then it's not easy to use them
good luck with your little one

anji1971
04-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Wow, I hope you can work something out for the poor thing!
Sounds like quite a tough job.............I hope I never have to give my snakes meds - I'd be a nervous wreck!

bergandersen
04-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks...It seems there is no easy way to do it...Damn

jeanette
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
just an idea but couldnt you lube the syringe so it will slide a little way down the snakes throat? dont know what you would lubricate it with though.
the snake is gonna fight you all the way with this one i think :(
never had to force feed medication before, except on my kids and that was bad enough lol.
hope you can figure it out, let us know what you come up with, i'd be really interested to know.

Spiritwolf
06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
It is possible to tube feed a snake. Your vet should be able to show you how to do it.

infernalis
06-29-2008, 05:26 PM
patience, and more patience... My puget was on meds.

He was a pain, but we made it.:)