PDA

View Full Version : My First Garter

tyler_johnson0309
04-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I picked up my first garter yesterday from a local pet store. i live in middle tennessee so i was a little hesitant to buy a garter snake since you see them all the time in the sumer here. but since they were selling them for only 10 dollars. and boy am i happy! they were feeding it goldfish at the pet store which i thought was cool. so i got home set up his tank and put 3 goldfish in his bowl. by this afternoon all 3 were gone. so he obviously is eating well. but is it common for them to eat this much? especially after moving just a little over 24 hours ago? so the first thing i checked out was alternative food sources because the thought of going to the pet store everyday to buy goldfish wasnt very appealing. are there any that you have found to work well for you. i would like to stick with live food just for the wow factor. i have a leopard gecko and a corn snake as well. i tried to feed him one of my geckos meal worms but showed no interest. also i was thinking about breeding since i have been interested in breeding reptiles for the past couple of years. i currently have him in a 10 gallon aquarium would it be ok to put in 1 or 2 more? also im not sure if it is a boy or a girl if i happen to get another boy will that cause conflict? i know this was a long post and im sorry but im just very excited and trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks

adamanteus
04-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi Tyler, and welcome to the forum:). Congratulations on your first captive Garter.
It would be wise to get him off Goldfish as quickly as possible, as they are toxic. Trout or salmon pieces are an excellent alternative. You will find that Garters don't eat invertebrates such as mealworms. Try nightcrawlers.

Odie
04-28-2008, 02:17 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Tyler :)

count dewclaw
04-28-2008, 05:34 AM
Hello and welcome. Check out the articles page (see tab above) it has a caresheet to give you alot of the information you're looking for.

Stefan-A
04-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Welcome aboard, Tyler. :)

anji1971
04-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Hello and welcome!:)
Definitely get your garter feeding on something other than goldfish! Try nightcrawlers -- they usually love them.
I think a 10 gallon tank is fine for now, but it will not be fine for more than one, or if you have a female. She'll grow too big for that tank eventually.

enigma200316
04-28-2008, 07:21 AM
welcome to the forum, and you have had good advise, you will find all you need here and if there is any questions don't be afraid to ask, thats what we're here for...........................:)

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-28-2008, 08:00 AM
a 29 gallon is a good size for a pair, oh and u must post pictures of your snake :) its the rule

Snaky
04-29-2008, 03:47 AM
Welcome to the forum and have fun here :)

Snake lover 3-25
04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I found that every snake i have caught loves tilapia and will take it right away... mine dont like salmon... but i haven't tried trout...:D

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-29-2008, 08:42 PM
all of mine find trout to be quite tasty!