PDA

View Full Version : Slug disaster! *HELP*

Zephyr
04-27-2008, 06:05 PM
So today I rounded up some non-pesticidal leopard slugs from the garden plots. I also had a good garter experience, which I'll post later.
Anyways, I dropped a few of the slugs in for my garters and Cinnamint attacked with gusto. She tried to take on a larger one but couldn't grip it, afterwards she began bleeding at the mouth. I believe she broke some teeth, so I cleaned her mouth up. Do snake teeth grow back?
In the midst of this chaos, Fatty grabbed Sedge about 1/2 inch above the vent, thinking she was a slug from some slime left on her. So I eventually got Fatty off by sporadic and firm pressure as well as using a pair of skinny tweezers to help get her teeth off. Fatty's jaw looks stretched and she keeps opening it, will she be okay? Her mouth is very slightly agape, but not as much as some of the other garters with problems I've seen. Sedge was bleeding lightly from where she was grabbed, so I cleaned her up and put some neosporin along the length of her injury. Will these guys be okay?
Also, I recommend only feeding very small slugs, because garters do not seem able to grip larger ones. Which reminds me, Cinnamint swallowed a mouthful of concentrated slug slime. Will she be okay?

Zephyr
04-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Anyone? I'm kinda freaking out. D:

ssssnakeluvr
04-27-2008, 06:18 PM
he should be fine....he would have eaten a bunch of slime with the slug anyway.

drache
04-27-2008, 06:33 PM
gosh
that sounds stressful
sounds like your snakes will be fine though

anji1971
04-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Oh good Lord, Kyle..........what an adventure!:eek:
I think they will all be okay, although I have no idea about the dental issue with Cinnamint. But for the most part, jaws realign, bites heal, and slug slime digests.
I tried feeding a slug to Deejay way back, and she ended up with nothing to show for it but a mouthful of slime too, and a very disgusted-with-her-owner type of expression on her face!
I don't think garters really tend to go for slugs anyway. Save them for the Dekay's, they're actually made to eat them, and they enjoy them more as well!:)

ssssnakeluvr
04-27-2008, 09:12 PM
well, they do like them.....my wanderings used to pig out on them. never had a problem with them taking them.

anji1971
04-28-2008, 06:43 AM
well, they do like them.....my wanderings used to pig out on them. never had a problem with them taking them.

I wonder if different species of garter are more apt to like slugs? I only have the two Eastern's I've had to go by, but it definitely was not a success!!:p

drache
04-28-2008, 07:02 AM
neither my eastern nor my parietalis would go for them
my eastern who eats everything tried and spit it out
then she spent five minutes rubbing her face everywhere - it was sort of funny

enigma200316
04-28-2008, 07:12 AM
never tried it and don't think I will after these stories...hahaha
and sorry Kyle but it is a bit funny about the whole slime think.....;)

ssssnakeluvr
04-28-2008, 09:13 AM
I've had several radix also take slugs ok.....

Charlet_2007
04-28-2008, 09:22 AM
next time i wouldn't feed them in the same cage tho..

Snake lover 3-25
04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
yeah... i always feed in seperate cages and then bathe them afterwards to prevent things like this and also smell...

person365
05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
It was bad I was at the house when it happened it was total chaos

Zephyr
05-26-2008, 11:32 AM
It was bad I was at the house when it happened it was total chaoslol
Hello Johnny. :P
Yes, it was total chaos. The garters seem to have learned that slugs = bad. :P
Nice quote Johnny. XD

jeanette
05-26-2008, 02:50 PM
wow Zephyr, sounds like you had a rough time. the garters should be fine, ive seen similar injurys with other snakes and they do tend to recover well. I dont know if Garters regrow their teeth as many other snake species do but they should be fine regardless. just keep an eye on them for a couple of weeks untill you are sure they are feeding as normal. Hope everything is ok.

drache
05-27-2008, 06:13 AM
hi Johnny, friend of Kyle
nice to meet you

Spiritwolf
06-29-2008, 09:59 AM
My easterns HATE slugs. The only thing they really like is earthworms. I do usually trick them with f/t pinkies that have been put into the earthworm container, then I roll the pinky around on a worm before feeding the snake, so the pinky smells like earthworm instead of (in snake opinion) stinking of pinky!