PDA

View Full Version : How big for pinkies??

matg87
04-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Hey

Im currently feeding my 9inch chequered garter snake on Lance fish. How big will the snake need to be before it can handle a pinkie? I feel at the moment he is a little small for such food!

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-22-2008, 08:05 AM
he could take a pinkie cut in half (vertically)

Hey

Im currently feeding my 9inch chequered garter snake on Lance fish. How big will the snake need to be before it can handle a pinkie? I feel at the moment he is a little small for such food!

ssssnakeluvr
04-22-2008, 11:05 AM
he should be able to take small pinkies just fine. my 5 inch checkered baby ate a newborn pinkie, so yours should be fine!

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-22-2008, 03:48 PM
yea my 8 inch easterns are already eating whole newbord pinkies... and a checkered with a wide head like they have should be able to take day old pinks no problem!

adamanteus
04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I never like my snakes to swallow the maximum size they can cope with. I generally split the pinkies lengthways to make feeding easier and quicker.

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-22-2008, 05:21 PM
I never like my snakes to swallow the maximum size they can cope with. I generally split the pinkies lengthways to make feeding easier and quicker.

this is true! i still do this for the most part... but BOY is it gross!!! pinky slop everywhere! i got squirted in the face by a bladder yesterday...............................

adamanteus
04-22-2008, 05:25 PM
i got squirted in the face by a bladder yesterday.

Nice. Thanks for sharing that, Shannon.:rolleyes: Although there are people who would pay good money......... let's not go there.

When I split pinkies, I use a fish filleting knife, it's so sharp there is no mess at all.... like a hot knife through butter.

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-22-2008, 05:42 PM
oh man me too i love my fillet knife, it works extremely well when cutting salmon, goes right through

Nice. Thanks for sharing that, Shannon.:rolleyes: Although there are people who would pay good money......... let's not go there.

When I split pinkies, I use a fish filleting knife, it's so sharp there is no mess at all.... like a hot knife through butter.

Zephyr
04-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Thankfully I've never had to cut anything in half. Just buy the appropriate size in the first place. :P

Snake lover 3-25
04-22-2008, 06:30 PM
this is true! i still do this for the most part... but BOY is it gross!!! pinky slop everywhere! i got squirted in the face by a bladder yesterday...............................

Why dont you try cutting them wile they are still frozen????:confused: that's what i do... i just use a really, really big nife:):D that way there's no mess or trouble!!!!:D:D:D

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
lmao... I have been using a pair of hair-cutting scissors that is just for the purpose of dismembering thawed pinkies and fish. It is a clean cut... its jus their guts go EVERYWHERE.... but boy do my baby garters love guts...

drache
04-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I cut mine frozen
any reasonably sharp, non-serrated knife will do
the guts still turn soft when the thaw, but there's no squirting at all
the messiness doesn't start until the snakes drag the stuff around

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-22-2008, 08:49 PM
lol i hope u dont cut ur hair with those

lmao... I have been using a pair of hair-cutting scissors that is just for the purpose of dismembering thawed pinkies and fish. It is a clean cut... its jus their guts go EVERYWHERE.... but boy do my baby garters love guts...