PDA

View Full Version : beginner ?s

???snakezCS
04-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi im new here and very excited about getting a garter but I have some questions to ask, if you don't mind.
1. Is it better to feed the snakes live food or frozen food?
2. Is purchasing a snake from a pet store ideal or should I find a breeder?
3. what types of vitamin supplements should I buy?
Thanks for your time!:)

Stefan-A
04-19-2008, 02:30 PM
1. Frozen/thawed. Live prey animals (rodents) can injure your snake and many parasites don't survive in the freezer. Others do. Apart from that, it's a matter of personal preference.

2. Find a breeder. Better snakes and cheaper.

3. Multivitamin + calcium. You don't have to, but I recommend it.

enigma200316
04-19-2008, 02:30 PM
well most feed theres frozen thawed food, and some feed live, but either in my opinion is ok cuz its the way of things...., as for purchasing breeders are the first source i'd use, and we have many on this site, then i'd go to a pet shop, and then wild caught if u can....., a multi reptile vit. is good, and again these are my opinions and there will be more to come just give it a few hours.......hahaha
hope this helps and welcome to the forum............

Zephyr
04-19-2008, 03:34 PM
1. Depends on the food your using. Obviously a rodent can harm your garter, but fish and worms can't. :P My garters seem to enjoy wrestling and hunting down live worms, but definitely do not use live rodents.

2. Breeder, wild caught, or at a reptile show are better choices. (Wild caught only if the snake appears visually healthy.)

3. What Stefan said.

adamanteus
04-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Ditto the above.:D

ssssnakeluvr
04-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Same here.....ditto to the above!

???snakezCS
04-20-2008, 12:56 PM
thanks sooo much!!!:)

mycolorfulheart
04-21-2008, 07:57 AM
just wanted to say that if you're catching a wild garter you should check the laws in your state.