PDA

View Full Version : Feeding tips

larean
04-19-2008, 10:42 AM
I just experienced a little miracle.
My baby corn snake escaped some time ago (a few months ago, I think), and after about a month of searching and setting up traps I gave up.

Today, at work (petstore) my colleague asked me if I had lost a corn snake, because he had found one just outside my door. I now have it in a little enclosure to reduce stress with a dead pinky in case it wants to eat (it certainly needs to!). But apparently it doesn't:(. It's also slightly lethargic, and doesn't react very much to touch/movement. On the bright side, it does move, and occasionaly flicks its tongue out.

What I wanted to ask was: are there any tips on how to make it eat, which is what it needs right now, after having spent most of the winter (!) probably starving.

I'm quite astonished by the endurance of the poor thing, surviving winter (freezing) not eating for months (I can't imagine he found any pinkies) and ending up at the other side of our house, on the street. That was probably how it survived, by staying in a house to keep warm.

Stefan-A
04-19-2008, 10:49 AM
I'd imagine what it needs most right now is water. Does it seem dehydrated?

I guess the same feeding tips as usual apply. Using much smaller food items than usual might help, as well as braining the mouse. And heat.

larean
04-19-2008, 12:18 PM
No, he doesn't seem dehydrated, eyes are looking good, skin is ok as well, he's just very skinny.Water is of course present, but he doesn't seem interested in that, either. It is certainly warm enough.

He just tried to strike at me, which is positive, I guess.

Braining? Does that involve smashing?

Stefan-A
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Braining involves taking a sharp object (I've used a nail) to puncture the top of the skull. Then you gently squeeze the skull until yellow stuff comes out.

larean
04-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Right...

I'll try:)

anji1971
04-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Christiaan, I sure hope he starts to eat and gain strength for you soon.
It is always amazing when long lost snakes are discovered, still alive! Best wishes......:)

larean
04-20-2008, 03:48 AM

He drank a hell of a lot, and is more active now, so I think it will be all right.
He even defecated today, but it's a little too fluid. I hope he'll start eating soon; he wasn't very interested in the pinky brain. I 'm going to try again today.

reptileparadise
04-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Good luck with getting him / her to eat!
As Stefan said, braining is often a good method of getting them to eat.
You could try using electrolytes in his/her water. It should make the snake feel hungry again. It doesn't always help, but often it does...

larean
04-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks

Would it be safe to put vitamin supplement in its water? Because it is drinking a lot now. Still no eating

adamanteus
04-20-2008, 12:48 PM
You could put the multi-vits in the water, it couldn't hurt. But the scent of them might put him off drinking.

larean
04-22-2008, 01:23 AM
He ate!!

I tried the hot and humid technique yesterday: placed him in a cricket box on a heat mat, with some kitchen roll, a dead pinky and a spa bottle lid of water.

This morning (about 10 min. ago) I opened the box and almost immediately had a well fed, rattling and active cornsnake dangling from the tip of my finger:)

I expect everything to be ok now.:D

drache
04-22-2008, 04:16 AM
congrats
what a great outcome
still hungry for your finger too . . .

larean
04-22-2008, 05:57 AM
hungry indeed:)

anji1971
04-22-2008, 06:47 AM
That's great news!!! Well, maybe not so great for your fingers, but still.............:D