PDA

View Full Version : Help! snake with wound and ill!!!!

Squeaky10199
04-13-2008, 11:03 AM
hey i have a garter snake i caught about 5 days ago and it seemed to be doing great when i got it except that it has a burn wound or something on its side so i put neosporin on it to make it heal better. then yesterday i found her almost dead looking and she was breathing and blowing bubbles with snot type of substance coming from her mouth, and she is still doing it. i dont know what to do. she is puking it up too. i think it is a respiratory infection. i dont have a vet around here that could help so what can i do to save her? put her in a 5 gallon with an inch of substrate a heating pad and water? or an icu? i dont know what to do but im scared she is going to die and i dont want that so please help me.... asap

adamanteus
04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Nicholas. That certainly does sound like a respiratory infection. Obviously the best course of action would be to get to the vet as soon as you can. If that's not possible you should get her into a clean enclosure. Use kitchen paper as substrate, and provide only a small water bowl. Raise the temperature by a couple of degrees above the norm for this snake. Ensure there is plentiful ventilation.

Squeaky10199
04-13-2008, 12:45 PM
yeah there is no vet so i am going to do the tank thing. thanks,. and i hope this works.

Stefan-A
04-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Ensure there is plentiful ventilation.
..but no draft. :)

adamanteus
04-13-2008, 01:53 PM
As for the wound, you're doing the right thing already with the Neosporin.... just keep it really clean and dry.

jeanette
04-18-2008, 05:36 PM
i dont know much about garters but with respiratory infections in corns its a good idea to make the enclosure as steamy as possible a very humid enviroment will help to loosen any mucus that is stuck in its respiratory tract. as for the burn/wound wash it thoroughly in warm salt water, keep it clean and change its substrate every day. i wouldnt bother with neosporin. salt is a better more natural antiseptic to use with snakes unless you can get something from a vets.
good luck with making him better.

Tori
04-18-2008, 08:22 PM
With a respiratory infection you need to lower the humidity, not raise it. Raise the temp and keep it there at about 80 to 85 degrees day and night. Very small water bowl and don't use a lid that would hold humidity in. Good luck.

adamanteus
04-19-2008, 05:00 AM
As Tori says, the humidity needs to come down. That's very important.

jeanette
04-21-2008, 03:29 PM
its definately interesting to hear the differences in treatment from species to species .
great information :)