PDA

View Full Version : hello from W. Michigan

bulrush
04-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm new here but have been catching some type of garter snake in our local park for the past 3 springs. Last Sunday my son and I caught 3 garter snakes that were the typical black color with 3 yellow stripes.

I have posted an ID request for another snake which I think is a garter, but have not found a pic of its coloration on the internet.

Thanks.

adamanteus
04-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Chuck, and welcome to the forum.:)
I had a look at the photo in your other thread... looks almost like an Eastern 'Flame' to me... lucky you!

enigma200316
04-11-2008, 04:03 PM
hello and welcome chuck................

Sid
04-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Welcome to a great forum, Chuck. I'll take a look at your other post.

I agree with James....T. s sirtalis- Flame morph of an Eastern. Easterns do most commonly have dorsal strips, but it's not very unusual to find specimens where it is totally absent. On the left of this page, click on the "care sheet" and scroll down to common garter. You'll see a photo of one Eastern that is a deep green and no strips at all.

Zephyr
04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Actually, I'm going to be the rebel and say it's not a flame. It's what one of my guides calls the "northeastern" morph, notice that all the red is between the scales as opposed to on them. Usually specimens from our area have a little bit of the red, but some of them, such as yours, have quite a lot! *High red.*
Did I mention I'm from MI as well? :D

drache
04-11-2008, 07:26 PM
welcome to the forum, Chuck
I'll go check out your snake on the other thread . . .

anji1971
04-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Hello, and welcome! That snake looks similar to my Eastern, but the red markings are in a fairly wide band compared to mine. I don't think it's a flame though.

zooplan
04-12-2008, 12:35 AM
hello again to Michigan, Chuck.

Tori
04-12-2008, 04:35 AM
Welcome Chuck, I am another from West Michigan. I have been out hunting every weekend for the last couple of weeks and haven't found one garter yet. I'm guessing you are further south than me. We still had snow on the ground week before last and all this week it has rained. I have a young female that looks just like your find!

Tori

Odie
04-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Chuck :)

KITKAT
04-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm new here but have been catching some type of garter snake in our local park for the past 3 springs. Last Sunday my son and I caught 3 garter snakes that were the typical black color with 3 yellow stripes.

I have posted an ID request for another snake which I think is a garter, but have not found a pic of its coloration on the internet.

Thanks.

Hi from central Ohio...

Do you have a pic of the unknown snake?

bulrush
05-05-2008, 10:31 AM
I posted some pics in the General forum. Please look there. Just do a search with my username "bulrush". That should pull up my posts I initiated.