PDA

View Full Version : $$ for rat

charles parenteau
04-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Here you must be rich to feed your boa...
What the price for a juvenile to big rat... since the sheapest pet shot is closed... the price for juvenile to adult size rat is 7.99$ can 19.99can a rabbit.

I work a lot,I can affort to buy rat,friends of my cannot ??

smell to bad to breed rat or mouse..

adult mouse 2,99$$can pinkies 1.50 $$ My steak aaa 25.11 $$ can/lbs.
what the deal????

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-06-2008, 08:14 PM
at my pet store all frozen mice are 50 cents and if you get 300+ Adults there 25 cents each. and live is 1$ for all mice

anji1971
04-06-2008, 08:19 PM
In Canada, everything seems to cost more, and I think in the province of Quebec, it goes up even higher.
I think frozen mice are about 79 cents to $1.00 here.

Loren
04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I raise enough rodents to feed my 60 or so snakes, plus enough extra rodents to sell to my 2 buddies to feed their 200 or so snakes (total). The profit from them pays for raising them all,including the ones I use, plus a few dollars to cover crickets and stuff.
Yes they stink, especially when there are a couple hundred of them. They stink really bad by cleaning day(every weekend). But my building is separate from the house, and raising my own is the only way I can really afford to feed so many snakes right now.

GartersRock
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Where are you located?? Try rodentpro.com! They are GREAT! I save THOUSANDS of dollars every year with them. I wouldn't otherwise be able to have so many snakes.

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-07-2008, 06:30 PM
rodentpro.com!!!! I highly reccomend also :D

Loren
04-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I have also use rodent pro. My advise for people with smaller collections is to find a buddy, or a few of them, to split orders with. If you can fill an order to nearly 100% of a full shipping box, it greatly lowers the total cost per rodent shipped. A nearly empty box versus a full box costs almost the same to ship- (alot).
Each bag of rodents shows % of box filled on your cart, so you can do some easy math to split the shipping cost up.

Serenity
04-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm not a boa owner nor will I ever be just because of the cost of thier care. But I am a pet rat owner so I guess my opinion is a little biased.

But my understanding is that it is dangerous to feed live mice or rats or any other animal to a snake as the snake as well as the rat could become severely injured and the snake could become sick. Some people say that some snakes won't eat things that are already dead but i'm personally not convinced. I think snakes can become accustomed to food that has be previously and humanely killed for food.

There's also alot of ethical issues with breeding rats for the sole purpose of snake food. Rats are extremely complicated to take care of. The often suffer from Upper Respitory infections and other illnesses that could be harmful to a snake.

I"m not just saying these things because the thought of feeding a live rat to a snake makes me cringe. You have to consider the well being of all the animals involved even the feeder animal.

zooplan
04-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I only order food by weight.
Yesterday I did order so I know the actual prices:
smelts 2,40 Euro/kg
baby-mice 90 Euro/kg
baby-rats 60 Euro/kg

adamanteus
04-08-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm not a boa owner nor will I ever be just because of the cost of thier care. But I am a pet rat owner so I guess my opinion is a little biased.

But my understanding is that it is dangerous to feed live mice or rats or any other animal to a snake as the snake as well as the rat could become severely injured and the snake could become sick. Some people say that some snakes won't eat things that are already dead but i'm personally not convinced. I think snakes can become accustomed to food that has be previously and humanely killed for food.

There's also alot of ethical issues with breeding rats for the sole purpose of snake food. Rats are extremely complicated to take care of. The often suffer from Upper Respitory infections and other illnesses that could be harmful to a snake.

I"m not just saying these things because the thought of feeding a live rat to a snake makes me cringe. You have to consider the well being of all the animals involved even the feeder animal.

Some very good points there, Bethany. I have always found that most snakes can quite easily be weaned onto dead prey. I don't agree with the practice of feeding live animals unless it's absolutely necessary, although I know there are people who do this as a matter of routine.

As for breeding rats for the sole purpose of snake food, I can't see why that would be a problem. As long as the animals are properly cared for while they are being raised.

drache
04-08-2008, 06:35 AM
all my snakes except for one take dead prey - and the one that doesn't now, will too eventually
my supplier, the mouse factory, is slightly more expensive than rodent pro (not much)
they may be interesting to a person with not so many snakes and no chest freezer, because their per bag counts are smaller