PDA

View Full Version : Trapping

Snake lover 3-25
04-04-2008, 08:45 PM
is there a way to live trap snakes? How could you catch one if it got lose in your house? how can you live trap them outside? Any ideas would be helpful...:D

stonyloam
04-04-2008, 10:38 PM
this may give you some ideas.
Appendix B: Control tips for common nuisance species in New York - Snakes (http://nwco.net/08-AppendixBNuisanceSpecies/8-15-Snakes.asp)

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-04-2008, 10:41 PM
SNAKE GUARD - The Original Snake Trap (http://www.snakeguard.com/)

zooplan
04-05-2008, 12:50 AM
SNAKE GUARD - The Original Snake Trap (http://www.snakeguard.com/)
that is very dangerous to baby snakes.
In the beginning of my garter breed I´ve lost some of my first babies because they were traped by a glue tape as an accident.

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-05-2008, 11:31 AM
yea, I'm really not a fan of the whole snake stuck to glue idea. they call that humane? sure it's humane as opposed to killing the snake, but come on now... glue? howabout just leaving the snakes alone or gently moving them with a long stick, instead?

reptileparadise
04-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I personally don't think glue traps are humane...There must be a reason why they are forbidden in a country as Holland!

Besides that, I've seen quite some animals get caught in glue traps. Gasoline will help to get them off, but just try to imagine how that must feel...With all the fumes!

Snake lover 3-25
04-05-2008, 12:44 PM
ick... i would never use a glue trap... one of my wild caught snakes got caught on some tape and it was very hard to get her off and it must have been very painful for her... but at least i didn't tear her skin... i couldn't imagine what i'd do then...:(

GGarter
04-05-2008, 03:57 PM
My garter got stuck on a piece of duct tape as it tried to break free from its old enclosure. That was not fun, I soaked it in warm water and was able to pull of the tape millimeter by millimeter... Glue traps is definately not a thing I would ever consider using....

I reckon a cardboard box with a small crack in the top and maybe some damp clothes in the bottom would be a better alternative. When the snake is about to shed, it will search for a source of moisture and will crawl into the box and will, to some extend, be trapped inside it.

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-05-2008, 05:41 PM
yea... I am really upset over this product. how would you like to be glued to a box and then have vegetable oil or gasoline poured all over you. and then thing that gets me is that on the site it says "and the snake will generally be able to free itself in about 1 hour"

generally????

they call that humane? thats disgustingly wrong. I hope I never meet a peson who has put one of these traps to use. I had an escaped baby garter almost die because it got stuck on duct tape.

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
yea i dont use them either just found it online

Zephyr
04-05-2008, 07:03 PM
What I've seen people use are just holes in the ground or hiding spots to "trap" snakes. It's not that hard to take on a cornered snake. :P

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-05-2008, 09:47 PM
oh also what works pretty well is i got 8 2 1/2' x 2 1/2' black mats on my hill, they work great because they provide a dry shelter with heat

anji1971
04-06-2008, 09:28 AM
I've been thinking of putting a couple of old mats down out in the field near my house. I've seen a garter or two over there -- not too many there, but maybe they'll find my hiding spot and lurk around under it once in a while......

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-06-2008, 09:53 AM
do you have flames in ur area?

I've been thinking of putting a couple of old mats down out in the field near my house. I've seen a garter or two over there -- not too many there, but maybe they'll find my hiding spot and lurk around under it once in a while......

charles parenteau
04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
When i was yong i have a corn snake that live 12 years,he escape so many time .I fond a couple of time wrap around the fridge motor,or I put heating pad under a cartoon in a corner of the basement ,it work 2 or 3 time...

anji1971
04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
do you have flames in ur area?

I only wish, Reed, I only wish!!:p
No flames, they're over in Quebec.

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-06-2008, 10:13 PM
oh, all the cool garters around where i live, ca red-sideds, santa cruz garters, san fran garters, coast garters are like 45 mins away from me :(

I only wish, Reed, I only wish!!:p
No flames, they're over in Quebec.

count dewclaw
04-07-2008, 05:32 AM
oh, all the cool garters around where i live, ca red-sideds, santa cruz garters, san fran garters, coast garters are like 45 mins away from me :(

That's a whole lot closer than a 5 hour plane trip! But there nice Easterns here, so I'll try not to be too envious.

Snake lover 3-25
06-07-2008, 09:08 PM
we should make a trap....... all of us on the site...... that have wild snakes around or snakes lost in our house....... should try a bunch of things and post which ones work best....... for example....
we could make a sort of minnow trap with one flat side and place bait and some hides in it....... i put some fish in a baggie once to get my snake out from under the fridg once and that worked...... so anyone have any ideas for a harmless trap that we could make and test????:D:D:D:D

drache
06-07-2008, 09:42 PM
try this page and feel free to add to it
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Finding_a_Lost_Snake

Snake lover 3-25
06-07-2008, 09:48 PM
cool we can add our tested traps to that!!!!! do you have any ideas to try out???:D:D

jeanette
06-09-2008, 02:42 PM
drink bottle trap!!!! large drinks bottle and some soft plastic tubing or a cloth tubing, secure the tubing to the neck of the bottle on the inside of it puncture the bottle with holes so it can breath. put your snakes favourite food in it, earth worms or pinkies, the snake should crawl inside the bottle for the food and be unable to get out again.
the plastic tubing should be flexible enough that the snake can push its way through.

Snake lover 3-25
06-09-2008, 03:02 PM
yay at least someoe has an idea!!!!!!! any more????:D:D:D

i'll have to try to make that this weekend jeanette!!!!!:D:D:D

jeanette
06-09-2008, 03:03 PM
ive heard it works, ive not yet tried it but let me know how it goes :)

Snake lover 3-25
06-09-2008, 04:22 PM
okay will do!!!!!!:D:D:D i hope it works too!!!!!....... oh........ maybe someone with a larger population could do it as well????? i have to remember that i've only found two snakes so far this year and i kept one of them....... and i go out EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!

infernalis
06-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Without question, any glue, mechanical or electrical traps are all evil devices, and should not exist.

The best way to "gather" a snake is just to lay out hides. Old road signs, fridge doors, plywood and other flat items work well.

The best method of recovery inside the home, sheer luck.

I found it a whole lot less stressful to just secure the little buggers in the first place.:D