PDA

View Full Version : can you feed them pork?

Snake lover 3-25
04-02-2008, 01:49 PM
can you feed your snakes "corn fed pork tenderloin"?

Snake lover 3-25
04-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Oh and the pork IS raw... it shouldn't be marinated right???:confused:

ssssnakeluvr
04-04-2008, 11:38 PM
well....I wouldn't....pigs aren't a normal part of their diet...and pork needs to be thoroughly cooked to prevent transmitting parasites....trichinosis is bad..tiny worms that burrow into you!!!

zooplan
04-05-2008, 01:16 AM
to feed tenderloin could allways be only a small part of a healthy diet.
I īve never fed pork to my snakes and I think there are no serious data avaliable.

Stefan-A
04-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Too much fat for long term use, but I don't know if trichinosis would be an issue as well.

3/4 of my snakes took strips of beef without scenting, but with a little hesitation.

reptileparadise
04-05-2008, 04:17 AM
There's a dissease called Aujeszky (Pseudo rabies) which can be very harmfull for dogs. I have no idea what this virus will do with snakes, but I wouldn't risk it.

count dewclaw
04-05-2008, 08:17 AM
well....I wouldn't....pigs aren't a normal part of their diet...and pork needs to be thoroughly cooked to prevent transmitting parasites....trichinosis is bad..tiny worms that burrow into you!!!

Once they burrow into you, they form cysts within your muscle tissue - very painful!

Bay_area
04-05-2008, 09:16 AM
can you feed your snakes "corn fed pork tenderloin"?

Not if they are Jewish snakes...

Deuteronomy 14:8 The pig is also unclean; although it has a split hoof, it does not chew the cud. You are not to eat their meat or touch their carcasses.

LOL! My wife loves pigs, we even had a potbellied pig @ one time. I think that is why she married me:rolleyes:. Anyhow, no disrespect intended for the chosen race. I just could not pass up using the verse that my wife has said sooooo many times.

Snake lover 3-25
04-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Not if they are Jewish snakes...

Well i guess that one's out... LOL!!!!!:):):):)

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-05-2008, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't feed my garters anything that is so un-natural such as beef or pork. It's not something they would normally be eating. I can't see justification in feeding those things when there are plenty of other readily available and more natural sources of food for our snakes. Fish, worms, and small rodents are all things that are both plentiful and inexpensive for us to acquire and are natural prey items of garter snakes and when you mix up the three, there really is no need at all to use beef or pork.

adamanteus
04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
What about cheese, or houmous?:)

Stefan-A
04-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I can't see justification in feeding those things when there are plenty of other readily available and more natural sources of food for our snakes.
Nitpicking can be taken to the extreme in this case, too. Amphibians are the main food for most garters, not fish, worms or rodents. Most fish, rodent and worm species we feed garters aren't even their natural prey. Mus musculus and Lumbricus terrestris aren't native to North America. Neither is the natal rat, the brown rat, the gerbil or the hamsters.

The snake's body won't know the difference between natural and "unnatural" food items, as long as there isn't something about them that makes them unsuitable as garter food. Such as thiaminase, present in certain fish species that one could assume would be a part of the wild garter's diet. Or parasites, which amphibians can be expected to carry.

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-05-2008, 05:47 PM
i had amphibians in that original list, but I took it out when I decided that someone would probably be up my butt about parasites.

adamanteus
04-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Most years I feed my Garters on frogs that I rear from 'rescued' spawn. I never recommend it to others because I'm aware of the risks.... but I've never had a problem yet. Sometimes I wonder if it's something of an urban myth.....
Anyone have actual experience of parasite problems from using amphibians as Garter food?

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Fish, worms, and small rodents are all things that are both plentiful and inexpensive for us to acquire and are natural prey items of garter snakes

I would like to make very clear that my intention in writing this was not to say its what garters eat the MOST of, but they are things that garters do naturally predate on. When I am herping outside and I see a big robust female garter swinging from the tail or utters of a cow I'll think about beef :)

until then, its fish worms pinkies and the occasional wood salamander for my garters!

Bay_area
04-06-2008, 09:08 AM
When I am herping outside and I see a big robust female garter swinging from the tail or utters of a cow I'll think about beef :)

ROTFL!

I caught a bunch of tree frogs when I was out one time to feed to the garters, I fed a couple to them the next day & put the rest in an aquarium to feed to them later. The frogs are so cool looking that they have become pets, so I can not feed them to the garters now. I have the aquarium set up next to my bed now with the frogs, salamander, newt & a spadefoot toad. NEVER GET ATTACHED TO THE FOOD!

Stefan-A
04-06-2008, 11:19 AM
When I am herping outside and I see a big robust female garter swinging from the tail or utters of a cow I'll think about beef :)
I could show you a big robust female garter swinging from my finger. Doesn't mean I'm on the menu.

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-06-2008, 11:22 AM
I could show you a big robust female garter swinging from my finger. Doesn't mean I'm on the menu.

well I would most certainly hope not... sounds like a very naughty garter snake needs some manners :)

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-06-2008, 11:23 AM
ROTFL!

NEVER GET ATTACHED TO THE FOOD!

HAHA, my mom does this way too often. she gets SO upset and calls me cruel and heartless when I feed things to the snakes. I keep explaining to her that I would be cruel and heartless if I let them starve!

Stefan-A
04-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I bet if you genetically engineered a 30 gram cow, not a single garter could resist it either. :p

aSnakeLovinBabe
04-06-2008, 11:26 AM
yea, the majority of my garters will bite at anything small and moving even without smelling it...

Lori P
04-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I bet if you genetically engineered a 30 gram cow, not a single garter could resist it either. :p

Yeah... sigh... but they'd be so darned hard to milk while waiting to feed them off... :D

Snake lover 3-25
04-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Most years I feed my Garters on frogs that I rear from 'rescued' spawn. I never recommend it to others because I'm aware of the risks.... but I've never had a problem yet.

me too... i feed them the new toads down by the pond... they love them!!!:)