PDA

View Full Version : No April Fool's joke

count dewclaw
04-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Found this little "guy" in my yard today.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/garter6.JPG

This is the first one I've seen outside this year. I tried to shoo him over by the snowdrops for a picture, but he didn't want to cooperate.

reptileparadise
04-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Very nice! Would love to find some garters in my backyard!

Stefan-A
04-01-2008, 12:27 PM
It was almost perfect weather for finding snakes today. It was sunny and warm and almost completely calm. Should start looking through maps of the area and see if I could find any places that would be likely to have dens. :)

Did you know grass snakes often form mating balls, just like garters? :)

ssssnakeluvr
04-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I tried looking this morning.....can't find them in the snow!! :mad:

count dewclaw
04-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Did you know grass snakes often form mating balls, just like garters? :)

No, I did not. But that's pretty cool. A few years ago we witnessed a mating ball of garters in our yard. The kids thought it was weird :rolleyes:

adamanteus
04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
I didn't know that, Stefan. I've witnessed quite a few wild matings, but never seen a mating ball. I guess it would depend on population densities?

Nice picture, LeAnn. The only thing in my back yard is the shadow of my house!

Sid
04-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Great photo, LeAnn. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Stefan-A
04-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I didn't know that, Stefan. I've witnessed quite a few wild matings, but never seen a mating ball. I guess it would depend on population densities?
I think it depends on how far north you are. A shorter summer forces them to hurry up and also reduces the number of places where they can survive the winter. So a lot of grass snakes inevitably end up in the same place.

adamanteus
04-01-2008, 01:19 PM
That makes sense. You don't have a picture do you?

anji1971
04-01-2008, 05:15 PM
It was almost perfect weather for finding snakes today. It was sunny and warm and almost completely calm. Should start looking through maps of the area and see if I could find any places that would be likely to have dens. :)

Okay, now that's just not fair -- it's warm enough to find snakes in Finland and here I'm still freezing my butt off!:mad:

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
its nice and sunny down here in california :D

Okay, now that's just not fair -- it's warm enough to find snakes in Finland and here I'm still freezing my butt off!:mad:

Stefan-A
04-02-2008, 12:42 AM
That makes sense. You don't have a picture do you?
I think I have part of a Swedish nature show on VHS. :)
It's mostly random sources.