PDA

View Full Version : need help buying snake.

DMGrier
03-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi guys new here names Devon. I'm in the Navy and I am currently stationed here in Bremerton, Wa. I'm very excited cause the wife has finally gave the ok for me to get a snake and for her peace of mind I chose the Garter snake cause there small plus when I was a kind I use to play with them in my grand fathers field when I was a kid. But I have some questions if you could help me out. I have never seen a garter snake for sale so could you tell me where I might be able to find one? And how much should I pay for one? Also what kid of habitat do I set up for them? finally what do I feed them and how often? Thank you for any information its greatly appreciated.

adamanteus
03-30-2008, 03:38 AM
Hi Devon, and welcome to the forum.:) This is a pretty good starting point to learn about Garter Snake care.
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Main_Page#General_Care_Sheets

Sid
03-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Welcome to the forum, Devon. The link that James has posted will get you started in the right direction on Garter snake care and housing. We do have a classified section here and a number of the members will start having baby snakes for sale soon. You can also check the internet for local Reptile Expos in your area.

zooplan
03-30-2008, 04:18 AM
Welcome to the forum, Devon.
There are differnces in law about keeping Garter Snakes in the US.
You should check what is allowed in Waschington.
Maybe you can go out herping near by your home too.

Lori P
03-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Welcome, Devon, hope you enjoy it here. Read thru the care sheets and then ask away. :-)

enigma200316
03-30-2008, 08:05 AM
welcome to the forum Devon, and good luck............:)

DMGrier
03-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Well thanks for the welcoming. That link was very helpful and I actually only have three questions. what is thiaminase that they can get from goldfish? And do you or do you not want to place the water dish over the heating pad? What is better the heating lamp or the heating pad? I really appreciate the help.

adamanteus
03-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Thiaminase is an enzyme which prevents the snake from utilizing the thiamin in it's diet. Thiamin is essential for the synthesis of calcium in the body.

If you place the water bowl directly over the heat source you may find the humidity is too high. Best not to.

The choice between heat lamp or heat pad is a personal one. We have members who utilise both methods... and debate it regularly! As long as the temperrature is controlled, either method of heating is good.

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I prefer lamps, because though many say it is not needed, I use spot lamps that have UV output. If snakes get sunlight in their natural habitat, I think they need it in captivity too.

But, many say they dont soo... who knows! :)

Zephyr
03-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I use a basking light, but no UV. The snakes seem to like basking as opposed to hiding and heating up there.

anji1971
03-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum!:)

gregmonsta
03-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Lol .... I have UV for light ... a spotbulb for daytime heat .... and heatmat for nightime cozy spot.

Odie
04-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Devon :)

drache
04-10-2008, 08:24 AM
hi, Devon
my snakes have a basking light with something underneath that they can climb on, so that they can have some choice as to how warm they get
welcome to the forum