PDA

View Full Version : The troublesome beasties ....

gregmonsta
03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Oh well ... I was looking at our ratsnake today and found a mixture of mitey thingies seeking to establish themselves :mad: little buggers. So, of course I checked my garters and luckily there's no signs of invasion ... this leads us to the origin of the beasties as the only thing that differs from the garter and ratsnake set-ups is that the ratsnake has been kept on Orchid bark.
From now on I'll be freezing the orchid bark prior to placing it in the viv and the big clean will begin tomorrow.
Penelope will be forced to swim in our bathtub for a good 20mins or so, all the viv furnishings will get the bleach treatment and the viv will get the ultimate scrub/disinfect of it's existence.
Thought I'd share this 'mite'y tale :rolleyes:

adamanteus
03-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Greg, if these are indeed snake mites, they haven't come in with the orchid bark, they have come with one of your snakes. Most likely the Rat as that's the one that's got them.

gregmonsta
03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
They don't look like normal snake mites .... they're not black ... most of these are white/transluscent and there seemed to be some larger brownish beasties too ...

adamanteus
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
They're probably just some soil-munching bug then... nothing to worry about!

gregmonsta
03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Groovy :) ... probably still clean the stuff anyway just to be sure ... don't like the idea of beasty colonies near our snacks.

adamanteus
03-25-2008, 06:19 PM
... probably still clean the stuff anyway just to be sure ....

Of course, but at least it's nothing 'nasty'.:)

anji1971
03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I've seen those little white bug-things in Toadie's tank a few times. They really are harmless, but they still make me feel all yucky inside! So by all means, clean the little monsters up!!:)

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-25-2008, 09:34 PM
lol I have seen these creepy little things too.... at one point i had them in my brazilian rainbow boa's cage and a whole bunch of them had made their way into the water dish and were floating on it in a HUGE colony of little water-proof buggies... all microscopically crawling all over one another on the waters surface trying to figure out how to get away...

drache
03-26-2008, 03:58 AM
the mites I got on my snakes are sort of colourless in their younger state

please be careful
the reason I've been semi-absent the past three days, is because I've been depressed and ashamed over the loss of my baby king as a result of complications from mites
the thing is - I checked
I had a recurrence in a few tanks and I've been checking and I fricking didn't catch it
my eyesight is poor and I've just not gotten around to get new glasses
so when I suspect mites, I show the snake to Mikhaila
in this case, she didn't catch it either

please be careful
it just sucks when it's too late

anji1971
03-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Oh, Rhea, that's so crappy!:(
But you don't need to feel ashamed -- you are only human, and mites are tiny and devious.
You checked, Mikhaila checked.......sounds to me like you did your very best, and it was just one of those sad, unfortunate events.
Sending hugs your way..........

drache
03-26-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm giving in and am going with preventative treatment from now on
no more taking chances

Zephyr
03-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Great. I found mites on my E. chopardi today. D:
Great. Just. GREAT.

Loren
03-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Orchid bark does occasionally get springtails in it. I get them every once in a while, but just change out the bark if they look thick. They havent caused any problems for me so far. Springtails are not blood suckers, they just live in organic matter like bark, so if thats what they are, I wouldnt be too worried. Here is a link, see if these look like what you have.What's That Bug? Springtails! (http://www.whatsthatbug.com/springtails.html)
That site says they feed on decaying matter and molds, and thrive in moist conditions. It also says there are over 2000 different species, so yours might look a bit different than some of the others pictured.
Freezing in airtight bags, or baking bedding in the oven should kill them.
Also, pay attention to if they are on the snake, or just in the cage. Mites/ticks would be taking the snake as a host.

gregmonsta
03-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Yup ... definately a mite infestation .... been doing a good job tho .... 1hour of bathing and viv gutting 4 days ago ... 3days ago strip of insecticide introduced (in a lightbulb box + removal of water dish) .... today another hour of bathing (drowned the suckas muhahahahaha) + viv gutting (found a mite graveyard in her hide = rentokill mothpaper doing it's job ;) ) .... everything is nice and clean now ... tomorrow the paper's coming out until wed and then a fresh dose will be used to destroy any hatchlings :D ... and, amazingly, there are no signs of any mites on the garters!!!

adamanteus
03-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Good work, Greg. They're a nightmare, aren't they?:mad:

gregmonsta
03-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Anoying as anything!!! I'll find a cure someday .... maybe a specially bred mite-eating snake :) .... anyone???

anji1971
03-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Good heavens, what a job...............I'm worn out just reading about it, Greg!!

adamanteus
03-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Anoying as anything!!! I'll find a cure someday .... maybe a specially bred mite-eating snake :) .... anyone???

Well,there's a Snake Mite... why not a Mite Snake?:D

Stefan-A
03-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I think there might actually be a parasite that preys on mites.

Stefan-A
03-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Avocado: Persea Mites: Predators of Mites—UC IPM (http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/C008/m008bpmitepred.html)

Okay, so it's the wrong kind of mites they attack, but it gives hope. ;)

adamanteus
03-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Stefan once again proves he truly is 'The Google Master'!!:D

Stefan-A
03-29-2008, 07:26 PM
My Google-Fu is strong! :D

False Scorpions (http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/fscorp.htm)

adamanteus
03-29-2008, 07:28 PM
My Google-Fu is strong! :D

With me, it's more of a 'Google-Fool'!!:D

anji1971
03-29-2008, 09:25 PM
With me, it's more of a 'Google-Fool'!!:D

Funny! I'm in the same boat -- can't even do a search properly. I always end up with all kinds of crap I'm not looking for, and I don't know how to sort it all out, so I usually just give up!

Stefan-A
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Really? I didn't even put any effort in finding the correct sources. But there are predatory mites, that will feed on snake mites.

Loren
03-30-2008, 01:07 AM
and, amazingly, there are no signs of any mites on the garters!!!

Were they on the garters at first, when you first started treating them? Or were they only in the bedding? Or are you just talking about after all the treatment and bathing?

gregmonsta
03-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Only the ratsnake got them .... the garters have been clear all along :)

gregmonsta
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm still in combat .... not sure how well the rentokill moth-paper is working ... another bath today .... this is what I'm fighting against!!!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/mitey.jpg

Lori P
04-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah... that's a Gregmite for sure. They only inhabit Gregs. No cure but to send your snakes here to Virginia.

adamanteus
04-01-2008, 06:56 PM
No cure but to send your snakes here to Virginia.

Via Manchester!

gregmonsta
04-02-2008, 04:37 AM
*whistles* .... starts rubbing himself with bleach and mothpaper ....

anji1971
04-02-2008, 07:10 AM
*whistles* .... starts rubbing himself with bleach and mothpaper ....

Well, I don't know if that will keep the 'Greg-mites' away, but if Terri sees you doing that it may scare her!!:p:D:p

gregmonsta
04-02-2008, 06:22 PM
You kidding ... she's the worst kind of Greg-mite there is .... *reaches for the 'Provent-a-mite' lol ....

Incidentally we have now ordered Provent-a-mite after all the rave reviews we've been reading on the net :)

Snake lover 3-25
04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
well... you'll be prepared for next time... if it ever comes!!!:)

gregmonsta
04-02-2008, 06:28 PM
It'll hopefully stop the little blighters dead this time .... We're still finding plenty of them around. The provent-a-mite will make sure that we break the life-cycle completely :D

Snake lover 3-25
04-02-2008, 06:29 PM
maybe i should get some... just in case... after all... it is the season... is it not????

drache
04-03-2008, 06:43 AM
yeah - provent-a-mite it is over here as well
just make sure you don't inhale any
a friend of mine ended up with horrible respiratory problems from a whiff of that stuff
I take a deep breath, exhale while I spray and then swiftly proceed to the other side of the room
and remember to remove your tarantula (I forget - do you even have one?)

gregmonsta
04-03-2008, 04:02 PM
lol ... nope :) I'll be exiling all the animals from the room .... the cats get the hallway ... the garters the bathtub ... and the ratsnakey will get a 2hour handling session :D