PDA

View Full Version : erm, newts?

CrazyHedgehog
03-22-2008, 07:25 PM
I have two female Italian crested newts, (Triturus carnifex)
One of which is growing a crest!!
I do believe I have one of each...oooohhh exciting!! (Only the males grow a crest during spring!)

Apparently they have to be about 3 years old before breeding, and I am not sure how old these are, I bought them from different parts of the country at different times last year...has anyone bred newts before?

Zephyr
03-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Um, my advice is provide a lot of still water with plenty of plants, keep the temps somewhat cool.
And in the case of a sex change, I'm not surprised seeing as they're amphibians.

CrazyHedgehog
03-22-2008, 07:36 PM
And in the case of a sex change, I'm not surprised seeing as they're amphibians.
LOL
I don't think its a sex change, I reckon I was sold it as a female as it didn't have a crest, but it was winter and it wouldn't have had a crest then! The last one I bought was from an older woman, she said she used to have a male (I was looking for a male) but she couldn't find it and thinks that it escaped. i just reckon she lost the female, but didn't realise!:o

Zephyr
03-22-2008, 07:41 PM
LOL
I don't think its a sex change, I reckon I was sold it as a female as it didn't have a crest, but it was winter and it wouldn't have had a crest then! The last one I bought was from an older woman, she said she used to have a male (I was looking for a male) but she couldn't find it and thinks that it escaped. i just reckon she lost the female, but didn't realise!:olol
Well, I'd say pump them both up, especially the female, on blood worms and black worms, chopped earthworm bits, maybe small pieces of crickets and roaches even. Get her nice and fat, because with 'Phibs, fat=eggs. :P

adamanteus
03-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I've bred all three British newts in the past. Feed them well, keep them clean, and provide the female with plenty of egg laying opportunies (Canadfian Pond Weed is good), the rst they can do for themselves.... it's easy from a husbandry point of view!

Zephyr
03-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Canadian pond weed... Anacharis?

CrazyHedgehog
03-23-2008, 04:45 AM
They have lots of one type of pond weed which is quite prolific, have had to thin it a couple of times, and a couple of pond plants with bigger leaves and roots.
I feed them on blood worm and occaisional crickets - what are black worm? can I really give earth worms too?
Oh and should I separate after egg laying? are they carniverous?