PDA

View Full Version : Sealent for Rigid High-Density Polyethylene

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
im making quite a few cages out of HDPE because its cheap and fire extinguishing, im going to make them out of 1/4" HDPE, its the thickness all my freinds use and it works great (light and sturdy) what sealant should i use? do you think the stuf they use for glass terrariums u buy at stores would work? and what do they use? and if i put it together with screws do u think it would crack?
thanks,
Reed

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
glass aquariums are put together with silicone. other than that i don't know what else to reccommend!

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-17-2008, 08:45 PM
thanks, ill use that when i make the cresteds all glass enclosures

glass aquariums are put together with silicone. other than that i don't know what else to reccommend!

Loren
03-17-2008, 09:37 PM
I've never worked with the stuff Reed, but what I would recommend, besides more research, is to make a small sample cage, or at least a cage section, and experiment with it. Then, when you make them, if possible, try to make one and put it in use for a bit to see how it works- if you can have the patience (which can be tough).
Screwing 1/4 inch stuff without cracking sounds tough. can you possibly get some 1/2" x 1/2" hdpe (or similar) in lengths, and put it in the seams to run your screws into, through the 1/4' panels? It would be easier to seal, and give it rigidity. And predrill everything.
I know I learn little tricks every time I build a rack system, and I'm glad they all didnt turn out like the first one, although it does work.

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-17-2008, 09:55 PM
ok ill make a baby cage for the ones that ill be getting from don and test it out, most of the people i know who have these type of cages used 1/4" so ill try silicon sealant and see how it holds up to pressure and humidity

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-17-2008, 09:57 PM
whats a plastic welder somewhere said to use that

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-17-2008, 10:05 PM
oh and it said it cant be cemented does that mean no silicon?

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-17-2008, 10:14 PM
ok so if i made the bottom 1/2" and the sides still 1/4" i could use screws, i could try the silicon first, i can always take if off right? thanks,
Reed

stonyloam
03-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Silicone should work. Just rough up the mating surfaces a little. Buy it at the hardware store in caulking gun tubes, should be a lot less expensive.

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-17-2008, 10:49 PM
ok thanks if it works it saves me $80

Silicone should work. Just rough up the mating surfaces a little. Buy it at the hardware store in caulking gun tubes, should be a lot less expensive.

Sid
03-18-2008, 03:43 AM
To answer your other question, Reed. I done recommend using screws, while it can be done, 1/4" would be very east to crack if you over tighten the screws. Good luck with the project.

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
ok so ive made many drafts on paper and this seems the best
the sides top and bottom will be glued with silicon, the front glass thing will be hinged on by 8 hinges on the right side (to make it stackable) then on the left side i will have 2 locks to keep the glass thing closed, im using plexiglass for the garters enclosure because it can be drilled into, but for the ackies im guessing i should use glass so it doesn't get scratched from the lizards claws?
and how do you suggest putting the heat light in? can the cord be inside the cage?
do you think i could use some left over strips and glue them to raise the cage an inch so the cord can come out?