PDA

View Full Version : how much does a garter snake weigh?

pafsnake
03-15-2008, 10:25 PM
i am doing a project for school and need to know how much (or the range) garter snakes weigh. i've looked all over the 'net and haven't been able to find anything... help!

enigma200316
03-16-2008, 09:06 AM
well I'm not sure, but it has to do with age, size, how well it eats, what it eats, if its male or female......there are people here that do record weights
so come guys someone needs some help.............:D

Lori P
03-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Good question... what's an average weight spread? Sorry I can't help but look forward to the response!

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-16-2008, 09:37 AM
i have no idea do you mean within the same species? because it it wasnt the average weight would b way off

Loren
03-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I have a gram scale- if I get a chance later today (and remember), I will weigh my smallest(a wittle baby checkered) and largest(3 feet long Sierra) garters. I dont have any big ol heavy females to weigh though.

Loren
03-16-2008, 10:31 PM
I have a gram scale- if I get a chance later today (and remember), I will weigh my smallest(a wittle baby checkered) and largest(3 feet long Sierra) garters. I dont have any big ol heavy females to weigh though.

Ok. So, its like this.
I tried to weigh my little checkered garter this evening, but he is now living inside my scale.
So, I put the whole scale in his enclosure, and I will just have to wait till he hopefully comes out.
The greatest part of all, he ate recently- so he might just decide to chill out in there until he is hungry again- you know, after he poops- in my scale.:eek:
I'll keep y'all posted.

Anyhow, Lets just say a baby garter can weigh as little as 5 grams, on up to about 10g ( .18 - .35 ounces). An average adult weighs in in the 75- 150 gram range(2.6-5.3 ounces), and large females may exceed 300 grams(over 10 ounces). I am guestimating the best I can based on the known weights on many of my various types of snakes( I have about 60), compared to the sizes that I know many garters get. But I bet I'm ballpark.
Hope you can read this in time for your report.

Odie
03-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Pafsnake :)

Stefan-A
03-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

Stefan-A
03-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Anyhow, Lets just say a baby garter can weigh as little as 5 grams, on up to about 10g ( .18 - .35 ounces). An average adult weighs in in the 75- 150 gram range(2.6-5.3 ounces), and large females may exceed 300 grams(over 10 ounces). I am guestimating the best I can based on the known weights on many of my various types of snakes( I have about 60), compared to the sizes that I know many garters get. But I bet I'm ballpark.

Babies 1.5 - 3.3 grams, I think, depending on a lot of factors. Grabbed from a table in the Rossman et al book.

Maybe it would be good to compile a list of some sort, of members' snakes' ages, weights and lengths? At the very least, it would show how much variation there is.

Loren
03-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Babies 1.5 - 3.3 grams, I think, depending on a lot of factors. Grabbed from a table in the Rossman et al book.

Yeah, I knew baby garters were tiny, but I forgot just how incredibly tiny they can be.

Lori P
03-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Ok. So, its like this.
I tried to weigh my little checkered garter this evening, but he is now living inside my scale.
So, I put the whole scale in his enclosure, and I will just have to wait till he hopefully comes out.
The greatest part of all, he ate recently- so he might just decide to chill out in there until he is hungry again- you know, after he poops- in my scale.:eek:
I'll keep y'all posted.

ROFLMAO!!!! Sorry-- but omg-- too funny!!!!!!!

adamanteus
03-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Ok. So, its like this.

Loren... too funny!!:D:D

reptileparadise
03-17-2008, 02:00 PM
hahaha, that really is too funny!

next time, you might wanna weigh him/her in a small bag, or a cricketbox

Loren
03-17-2008, 03:33 PM
hahaha, that really is too funny!

next time, you might wanna weigh him/her in a small bag, or a cricketbox
Yeah, I usually do, but I didnt feel like taking the extra minute to find one.

Stefan-A
03-17-2008, 03:35 PM
So that wasn't just a joke? :D

adamanteus
03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Did the Checkered come out yet, Loren?:D

Loren
03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Did the Checkered come out yet, Loren?:D
Not as of an hour ago. :mad::D

drache
03-18-2008, 04:24 AM
what kind of scale is it?
I don't think any snake could make it into my scale, but then we haven't tried . . .

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Ok. So, its like this.
I'll keep y'all posted.

LOL that is too funny

Loren
03-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Ok. So, its like this.

Well, to give an update, he went in the scale on the 16th- It is now the 19th, and he finally came out.
All is well. :cool:

I dont know if he pooped in it or not, dont really care to tell the truth.

I never did weigh the little bugger.

anji1971
03-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, I'm glad he came out!! That was an odd little adventure..............guess it's better not to weigh him for a while!:p

drache
03-19-2008, 07:48 PM
glad he came out
snakes are very patient creatures
I'm sure time is completely different for them
those three days were just a little nap for him

Loren
03-19-2008, 10:36 PM
glad he came out
snakes are very patient creatures
I'm sure time is completely different for them
those three days were just a little nap for him

I would LOVE to be able to nap for about 3 days right now. Alot of "hard stuff" going on in my life right now.

But, I figured from the first day that it would probably be 3 days or so. So I was ready to wait. I just really needed to use the scale for some mice.

drache
03-20-2008, 03:29 AM
life is what goes on while you're dealing with emergencies
wow is that a reframe of my Mark Twain quote?

Lori P
03-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Loren, very glad he decided not to take up permanent residence. And I'm sending you a big ((((((((hug)))))))) to offset some of the dratted hard stuff. :-)

Loren
03-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Loren, very glad he decided not to take up permanent residence. And I'm sending you a big ((((((((hug)))))))) to offset some of the dratted hard stuff. :-)
Very appreciated Lori.:)

Lori P
03-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Well, take your hand off my butt.

LOLOL:D:D:D

Loren
03-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, take your hand off my butt.

LOLOL:D:D:D

If I had a dime for every time I've heard that...