PDA

View Full Version : My snakes hate me!!!

TerriandClint
03-14-2008, 06:47 AM
I really think they do ... the last 3 times I've had Clint out of her tank she has pooped on me :( and now today, Penelope bit me!!!! :(

Stefan-A
03-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Yeah, they'll do that. :p

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-14-2008, 07:48 AM
make sure you hold clint a lot even if he does poop on you the more u hold him the tamer he will be when hes an adult

Snaky
03-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Well, snakes are still wild animals, even if you get them aquainted to you :D
Part of the 'charm' ;)

enigma200316
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
sorry but that is actually kinda funny, and gross.............;):D

mycolorfulheart
03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Raven musks me. It smells SO bad!

ssssnakeluvr
03-14-2008, 12:52 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of garters!!!!!! :D i was bitten about 6 times during todays feeding session and musked about the same number...:(

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-14-2008, 04:57 PM
nothing like the aroma of garter musk in the early morning when you're out in the field herping and you catch one....

GGarter
03-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Good to hear I'm not alone. My snake bit me and musked every time I tried to get a hold of it. as time went by it settled down and got more quiet. A trick I realized is that when you are picking it up be sure not to grab it but try to make it fall down on your hand if it for example tries to climb up the sides of the vivarium. Many of you probably noticed this years ago, I'm just thrilled that I found a way to handle my garter without bites and musk! :D

Stefan-A
03-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah, learned that trick with my first snake. :)

Interestingly, my tetra seems to have an opinion on which way I should hold my hand, too. Palm up is okay, palm down isn't. I can do pretty much anything as long as my hand approaches with the right side down. It's not a matter of what direction it's coming from either.

drache
03-14-2008, 05:23 PM
they do have preferences
and I believe some recognize people who cater to their preferences

Sid
03-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Guess I've been really lucky. I've only had one out of the many that I kept that was honestly mean. And I do feel the term for her was mean. Had her for a couple of years and every time the enclosure was opened her mouth went wide open and here she came.

All the others after just some short term handling have been OK. With skiddish one I lay my hand on them flat for a moment, then slip my thumb beneath them and have no problems.

GartersRock
03-14-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't really handle mine except to move them around, feed them, clean cage etc. I guess I just don't see snakes as pets you handle... And my garters NEVER bite/musk when I handle them once a week. ??
But my puget is the darn most dog like adorable thing in the WORLD of snakes, lol! But he doesn't seem to enjoy being handled. Yeah, he puts up with it, he doesn't bite or musk. But really I just leave all my snakes alone when it comes to handling. Just IMO. Thats what my two big ole dogs are for. lol! 67 and 38 lb greyhound and canaan dog and they sleep in the bed with me every night. lol!

Zephyr
03-14-2008, 06:21 PM
One of my easterns, Fatty, actually comes to my hand when I put it in the tank and proceeds to crawl onto it. It's probably the positive reinforcement. **If I put up with handling, I get a fishy! :D**

GartersRock
03-14-2008, 07:13 PM
One of my easterns, Fatty, actually comes to my hand when I put it in the tank and proceeds to crawl onto it. It's probably the positive reinforcement. **If I put up with handling, I get a fishy! :D**

Lol! :cool: Love it.

Zephyr
03-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Lol! :cool: Love it.Oh yes. :P
We went to the pet store today and she was checking out the fishies. XD
She had about 1/2 of her body extending outwards and the fish were looking at her and she was looking at the fish. Was very cute. :P The store owner gave me a rosy to feed to her there and she ate it. X3