PDA

View Full Version : Spring!

reptileparadise
03-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, I guess most of you will have ended hibernation...How is spring coming along? Have you seen any snakes mate yet? Have you felt embryos? Or maybe even some young? (way early, but I saw some advertised...)

My year is coming along nicely.
I have seen some matings (marcianus, parietalis and today the atratus)
Above species where 'suspected gravid' a few days ago, so I weighed them...
The marcianus gained 10 % bodyweight (more then 30 grams)
The small parietalis female gained 24% (slightly more then 20 grams) en the atratus female gained a whopping 28% bodyweight! (just under 15 grams)

I'm hoping this really is a sign of gravi...hmmm, not gravity...gravidity? gravidness?...

so, come on! Lets hear some great babynews!

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-12-2008, 02:55 PM
my puget is gravid she looks a lot fatter at the tail region and shes gained like 15 grams (something like that) and the maritime is fatter and gained like 11 grams,
Im gunna post pics of the puget this weekend (even though shes green because of her chemical bath)

Sid
03-12-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm hoping all three of my adult Easterns (T s sirtalis) are gravid. The two larger females have gained a good bit of girth in the lower half of the body and the third, my youngest adult female, is definately gaining more than normal as well. So, fingers crossed:D.

enigma200316
03-12-2008, 04:12 PM
none of my garters are old enough yet not until next year, however I do have an eastern that is old enough,but I can't breed them because they are a native species........

stonyloam
03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
What spring?:confused: Still winter here brrrrr....:(

adamanteus
03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I think my marcianus female is gravid.... it's a miracle if she isn't, the amount of attention she's been getting from the male. She's certainly gained some girth. My largest female radix is also putting on some weight in the lower body, although I haven't seen any sexual activity from the radix.

enigma200316
03-12-2008, 05:31 PM
What spring?:confused: Still winter here brrrrr....:(

I agree, we're suppose to be getting more snow here...........:(

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-12-2008, 07:42 PM
I think my marcianus female is gravid.... it's a miracle if she isn't, the amount of attention she's been getting from the male.

James, this is the same way my marcianus are!!! the male never leaves her alone!!! He doesn't.. ever.. stop...

and yet i have not seen them actually hooked up, hopefully, something will come out of the weeks of him rippling himself thin. LOL.

Stefan-A
03-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Like I suspected, it was just wishful thinking that my female parietalis would have been gravid, even if she increased in weight by some 30% earlier this year. She will be weighed again, soon. But her general shape says she's not gravid, even if it's not the most reliable way to judge gravidity.

I wish I still had my male.

GarterGuy
03-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Nothing on my end.....the Pugets are too young and I don't know the sex of my Maritimes just yet. My female concinnus is ready to go, but don't have a male for her. Maybe next year.

Tori
03-13-2008, 03:30 AM
Guess it will only be my T.s. infernalis having babies this year. I don't have males for my T.s.pickeringi, T. marcianus"s, or my T.s.concinnus.

ssssnakeluvr
03-13-2008, 12:05 PM
well....only ones I have seen that were even interested so far were my dard red concinnus....hopefully my easterns, melanistic, and wanderings bred.....

Sid
03-13-2008, 02:08 PM
well....only ones I have seen that were even interested so far were my dard red concinnus....hopefully my easterns, melanistic, and wanderings bred.....
Don, keep me in mind on the concinnus. I need 1.1

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-13-2008, 04:07 PM
oh nvm my puget female is 21 grams heavier not 15

Snake lover 3-25
03-16-2008, 06:20 PM
wow she seems like she'll have quite a few young doesn't she?

ssssnakeluvr
03-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Don, keep me in mind on the concinnus. I need 1.1

will do!!! the mom and dad are both nice dark red....not dard as I typed earlier.....:eek: darn keyboard fairy keeps messing up my typing!!:D

adamanteus
03-16-2008, 06:27 PM
My concinnus are pretty darned red too, Don!:rolleyes::D

ssssnakeluvr
03-16-2008, 06:30 PM
well...yes they are....would be a problem sending me a couple babies tho....:eek:

reptileparadise
05-12-2008, 11:41 AM
ah, damn...I'm bummed right now...

Just weighed the "high red" parietalis female...It looks like she will be skipping a year...
She had her first shed of the year about a week ago en she lost 26 grams in 4 weeks...damn...
Looks like the cold spring around here really affected the garters...

adamanteus
05-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Sjoerd, does that mean no 1.2 babies for me?:(

reptileparadise
05-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm very sorry James...but yes, it could very well mean no 1.2 for you...:(
I'm still hoping mother nature is playing a trick with me, but I have to be realistic about it...One (defenitly gravid) female doubled her weighed in the last couple of weeks...The "high red" female has gained only 42 grams since the end of hibernation (8th januar)

adamanteus
05-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Oh well.... no problem. But I will place my order now for next year, please!:D

reptileparadise
05-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Got it!
I do have two other parietalis females. One of them is the snake that doubled her weight and the other one is the mother of the male that sired that lady. Very nice, but not nearly as pretty as the "red" female...

I've written you're "order" down James...It will not be forgotten! (I hope...)
We can only hope she takes a rest this year, to produce 50+ babies for me next year :D

adamanteus
05-12-2008, 12:03 PM
We can only hope she takes a rest this year, to produce 50+ babies for me next year :D

I hope she does, Sjoerd. I will wait for her, I don't want my parietalis from anywhere else.:D

reptileparadise
05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Its an honour James!

EdgyExoticReptiles
05-12-2008, 04:38 PM
reserve 1.2 for me next year too if they dont produce this year

adamanteus
05-12-2008, 04:40 PM
reserve 1.2 for me next year too if they dont produce this year

Have you considered the shipping costs, Reed? Sjoerd lives in the Netherlands!

EdgyExoticReptiles
05-12-2008, 07:56 PM
world meeting 2010 :D

Have you considered the shipping costs, Reed? Sjoerd lives in the Netherlands!

drache
05-14-2008, 07:14 AM
now there's an idea
if we order snakes from Europe as a group, then the Europe to here costs will be much reduced
I know that the tetra fans will still miss out, but there are other fantastic thamnophis in Europe, such as the Mexican species we can't get in the US and Kuno's fantastic atratus and . . . and natrix species too
perhaps that is something we could time to coincide with the world meeting

reptileparadise
05-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Yup, group buyings is always an good idea. The only thing is getting the paperwork done. I have absolutely no idea what needs to be arranged...where to arrange it, what the papers would cost etc.etc.

reptileparadise
05-18-2008, 08:40 AM
alright, some better news then...

Everything and everyone is of to a slow start this year. But it looks like we might have some babynews soon! One of my parietalis females shed on the 16. februari. She mated and shed on the 21. march again (mated again).
16. februari is now about 3 months ago, and she stopped eating :) She isn't about to shed and she's very restless...Now I'm getting restless as well!