PDA

View Full Version : so im going to brumate him...

Squeaky10199
03-08-2008, 08:59 PM
i was told that my garter is not eating because of the winter times so i should brumate him for a month or so. just to get his appetite back. what im going to do it turn off her light for a week to make some difference, then put her down stairs for some time. i dont know how cold it is because i dont have a thermometer to check temps but downstairs is pretty cold compared to my room.i think the temps are in the low 60's. is that ok for a short brumation? or does it have to be colder? what temps do i have to have it to brumate?

ssssnakeluvr
03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
You probably want it down in the 50's, maybe even 40's. I have found garters outside in the 60's. Make sure that the snake hasn't eaten for at least 2 weeks before putting him down. undigested food will ferment and kill the snake. if you don't have a thermometer...one easy way to tell if it's too cold is to put a glass of water in the garage and if it freezes then it's too cold. garters are very cold tolerant. make sure to check the snakes weekly to make sure the tank doesn't have condensation (you do need to leave a water bowl in there) and for weight loss. the snake will crawl around and be active, however less than normal.