PDA

View Full Version : My Garters Are Fasting??!!

bigboss081
02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
My two garters refuse to eat, and ive had them for almost two weeks. I force fed my eastern one, but my ribbon is stubborn as heck, and wont open his mouth no matter what. Ne advice/help??? Thnxx!:confused:

EdgyExoticReptiles
02-21-2008, 11:38 PM
sounds like they need to be brumated

My two garters refuse to eat, and ive had them for almost two weeks. I force fed my eastern one, but my ribbon is stubborn as heck, and wont open his mouth no matter what. Ne advice/help??? Thnxx!:confused:

ssssnakeluvr
02-21-2008, 11:51 PM
force feeding should be a last resort. if you have only had them for 2 weeks thats not unusual...they generally take some time to acclimate to their new home. ribbons can be real picky anyway. if they have lost no noticeable weight they are fine...snakes can go long periods without eating.

Sid
02-22-2008, 02:53 AM
I agree with Don. It often takes some time for a snake to settle into a new enviroment. Minimize anything that stresses them, like handling, until they start eating.

Josh
02-22-2008, 12:33 PM
sounds like they need to be brumated
no garter need to be brumated it helps though. I mean its a natural process but its not an answer for not eating rather then the reason.

Lori P
02-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Vince, just give them more time, and don't force feed. Do you know what they were eating before you got them? What have you tried so far?

adamanteus
02-23-2008, 04:57 PM
As the other members have said..... two weeks isn't very long, don't force-feed them yet, it will be counter productive. Leave them in peace as much as you can, and just keep offering different food items every few days.

bigboss081
02-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Vince, just give them more time, and don't force feed. Do you know what they were eating before you got them? What have you tried so far?

They both have been eatin goldfish according to the store employee, and thats what ive been bying, bu the fish just end up dead, w.o bite marks or nething

Lori P
02-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Well, here's a few things I've picked up from the experts here...

Remember, goldfish are bad. If you think your guys will only eat live fish (and some only will, at the beginning) then switch to minnows or guppies. And think about the fact that your snakes are only as healthy as the food they eat, so feeding sickly or dying fish is not the best way to go... many of the feeder fish from the stores are stressed and underfed. It's a good idea to bulk up your feeder fish if you can, on a healthy diet, in a clean tank before feeding them. Don't leave your feeder fish in the snake's water dish more than a couple of hours; if the snakes haven't eaten, take the fish out and try again in a day or two. Certainly don't leave them until they die.

Or, you can try what others here have found successful: try feeding strips of trout or salmon. Some will go right for it, some you have to tempt into it. If yours show that they are stuck on feeding on live fish, you can put pieces of trout or salmon in the water dish with the live fish, and often they will grab a piece of that when going for the live fish.

Often, you can get them from feeding on live fish, to being willing to grab a piece of trout/salmon dangled in front of them, to being willing to grab it off a dish... and then go to scenting frozen/thawed pinkies with the fish and having them eventually move to pinkies. It's a process; it takes time.

For right now, give them some time, only offer the fish for a couple of hours every few days, and see how it goes. I'm sure I left something out so someone else will fill it in for you.

drache
02-26-2008, 04:10 AM
Vince
you got some good advice there
two weeks is really nothing for a snake
give it some time
just offer them minnows every three days or so and take them out, if they don't get eaten
when they're not in a feeding dish, I keep live minnows in a small bucket and change some of the water twice per day
keep us posted
I'm not far away, so I can take a look at your critters, if it goes on too ling

Odie
02-26-2008, 05:41 AM
I agree with Don. It often takes some time for a snake to settle into a new enviroment. Minimize anything that stresses them, like handling, until they start eating.
Yes, 2-3 weeks seems about right with my Experiences ;)

Serpentine99
02-26-2008, 02:16 PM
just keep trying different stuff, and be patient, they'll eat when they're ready.

bigboss081
02-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Vince
you got some good advice there
two weeks is really nothing for a snake
give it some time
just offer them minnows every three days or so and take them out, if they don't get eaten
when they're not in a feeding dish, I keep live minnows in a small bucket and change some of the water twice per day
keep us posted
I'm not far away, so I can take a look at your critters, if it goes on too ling

ok thnx alot! nd everyone else wo helped..!

Haerodiel
03-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I have a snake that I've had for 3 weeks now, and it's still not eating. It's a Dekay's and wont eat the worms or crickets I've tried to give him. I hear they love slugs and snails, but I don't have any of those around my house, and I don't think they sell them at pet stores. What should I do? Or is it still not time to worry?

adamanteus
03-23-2008, 03:51 PM
You should be able to find slugs, they are pretty much ubiquitous. Try putting out pieces of orange peel overnight. In the morning you should find slugs hiding underneath. If this works, offer the snake the small fawn/beige coloured slugs, I've found that they seem to be a favourite with Storeria.

anji1971
03-23-2008, 07:22 PM
If you go out at night, and turn over rocks, slugs are often hiding underneath. As long as it's not close to freezing, they'll be around!

Haerodiel
03-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I've already checked the places and rocks I remember seeing slugs years ago (I can't remember the last time I saw one) and not found any. I'll try the orange peel, though. Thanks! But it just started getting cold at nights again, so I don't know how successful that will be. It only just started getting cold, too! Drat the weather...

adamanteus
03-24-2008, 03:29 PM
If you place the orange peel in more sheltered spots.... along the base of a wall for example, rather than in an exposed position, you might still be lucky. Fingers crossed for you.:)

Stefan-A
03-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Can you get your hands on a few snails? Achatina fulica isn't that uncommon in the pet trade.

edit: Nevermind, they're illegal there.

adamanteus
03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Wouldn't they be a bit big for a Dekays, Stefan?

Stefan-A
03-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Full-sized adults, yes. At least in one piece.

adamanteus
03-24-2008, 03:39 PM
How about slug or snail eggs? You can find them in the winter. I never offered them to a Dekays, but they might be acceptable.

drache
03-26-2008, 04:51 AM
a friend of mine says, he's had success getting them to take can-o-snail, the stuff from the petshop
I'll ask him how he serves it

Haerodiel
03-26-2008, 10:21 AM
a friend of mine says, he's had success getting them to take can-o-snail, the stuff from the petshop
I'll ask him how he serves it
Hmm, that's interesting. Well, I'm putting out orange peels tomarrow night to see what success I get with catching slugs. Its been cold the past few nights and it will be tonight, but its going up into the 50's tomarrow night, so that's why I wait. :)
*crosses fingers*

Haerodiel
03-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Well, I caught several snails, and I put a couple in Aidas' tank. He treated them the same way he did the worms. He looked at them, sniffed them, then left them alone. He would crawl over them and not pay them any mind. But I left them in there, and unlike the worms, the didn't start imidiately dying.

Then just this morning I looked in there, and both of them are gone! And Aidas is bigger around the middle! Yay! I'm very excited. I finaly found him something he'll eat!

Thanks everyone for the help!