PDA

View Full Version : i need help

codyy
02-19-2008, 09:25 AM
my parents wont let me buy a snake but they said if i can catch one i can keep it if its not big and every year i catch about 10 garter snakes and i have a 20gallon tank,i dont want to hurt the snake so how can i catch it right like, if its under a rock when i lift it should i grab its tail or what, and also i cant buy and thing for it but will garter ssnakes eat cray fish because i can catch them all sizes, and last what should my tank be like how mutch water and what are some kinda things i can make or ideas,thanks

Stefan-A
02-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Welcome aboard, Cody.

Garter snakes won't eat crayfish. Fish, mice and worms are okay.

adamanteus
02-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Hi Cody, and welcome to the forum.:)

EdgyExoticReptiles
02-19-2008, 01:08 PM
you wouldnt want to grab it at the end of the tail it would spazz out try grabbing it in the middle, you need a water bowl big enough so that the snake can curl up in it, a hide (anything the snake can hide completely under), a fake plant and or climbing sticks, and some type of substrate that you can find at your local pet store or use paper towels/newspaper (thats what i use)
hope that helps
Reed

codyy
02-19-2008, 02:48 PM
thanks i have some old reptile bark from my old green anole but i have a fish tank and theres like 40 gupies in it because we never bought any other fish will they eat those and also do i just put a few fish in the bowl and let them swin around or put one in once a week or w/e it eats weekly?and does the water bowl have to be with chloreen free water or can it be from the foset?

adamanteus
02-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Yes, your Garter will eat guppies. I would put a couple in it's water bowl, see how you get on with that. Water from the faucet is fine.:)

codyy
02-19-2008, 03:05 PM
cool, wiht green anoles my parents keept geettin mad cause they ha to buy distilled water,what kind of garter snakes can be found in oklahoma?any bright colored ones,and anyone have any tips on where to look to catch them? just liek under rocks or trees and al thankssrry for alla the questions

codyy
02-19-2008, 03:15 PM
what kinda of garter snakes can i find in oklahoma and,where shoudl i look if im wanting a smaller like 1/4 grown garter,and whats the best time to look caus eive been waiting for liek 2 months know iu thinki i can start looking in march?

codyy
02-19-2008, 03:19 PM
i dont understand fully how to talk on here i rite stuff and it shows up then i looka t it again and it's gone adn sorry im start typingbetter,what kind of garter snakes are in oklahoma?whereshould i look to catch babies,and when and last can i start looking for snakes in march because ive been waiting for 2 months know

enigma200316
02-19-2008, 03:20 PM
welcome to the forum Cody..................:)

adamanteus
02-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Cody, here are a couple of links to help get you started. You'll love it here, we have a great bunch of guys, very helpful, very knowledgable and good fun too. Enjoy!

http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/1008-guide-posting-pictures.html

anji1971
02-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Hello, and welcome!! Good luck in your search for a garter, although it seems that you might want to wait until it warms up just a little! When the weather starts hitting in the 60's, they'll start popping out of their little winter hideouts. Hope you catch one!:)

KITKAT
02-19-2008, 11:37 PM
One method to finding garters is to put out "drop boards". Get some old pieces of plywood or some other wooden boards that are fairly wide, and put them at the edges of fields, weed patches, under pine trees (where the lawnmower won't hit them) or along streams, rivers, or ponds.

Wait about a month after you put the boards out, and then go to them and flip them to see what is underneath. You will find evidence of the meadow mouse, the shrew, earthworms and pill bugs, and eventually you may find snakes, salamanders, and toads.

It is important that after you flip the board, you put it back EXACTLY where it was, with the same side down.

The best time to put out drop boards is in spring, when the temperatures are at least 60 degrees.

Be persistant and patient... the longer the boards are there, the more critters will start using them for shelter. I got a pregnant (gravid) garter from a drop board two years ago, in May.

drache
02-20-2008, 07:27 AM
welcome to the forum Cody

codyy
02-20-2008, 09:21 AM
thanks ill try that but also my grandparents own a house in newalla with a like 20 house neighborhood thats relly seperated houses, since the ice storm they havent been able to pick up the wood and its been laying around and trees are rotting and stuff and he had boards and rocks all over i might try to look throught most of the rocks and stuff, he also said that when he mows(riding lawnmower) a bunch of baby snakes come outnof the ground by the house so im see if i can find one,