PDA

View Full Version : only vomits when ate pinkies

kenn777
02-18-2008, 10:51 PM
help.. it vomits only when it ate pinkies.. i fed him house lizards and it didnt vomit... is it ok?

drache
02-19-2008, 04:26 AM
I don't know - has it done this before?
were the pinkies in good shape and fully defrosted?
what kind of garter is it?

Stefan-A
02-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Is this the juvie Cali king? Vomiting definitely doesn't sound okay.

Lori P
02-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Did he only vomit that one time? If so, can you try pinkies again but make sure they are warm and that the snake is at the right temperature? And make sure the pinky is not too big... was it a mouse or rat pinky you tried?

kenn777
02-19-2008, 06:21 AM
yes.. this is the juvie cali... i've tried live pinky and small white mouse.. it kept throwing up.. i fed it a bigger house lizard, and it does throw up.. is it ok 2 keep feedig him house lizards? it just shed this morning.. yesterday it ate a house lizard... whe a snake is ready to shed, is it true that it lost its appetite? but mine's not... is it normal?

Stefan-A
02-19-2008, 06:27 AM
whe a snake is ready to shed, is it true that it lost its appetite? but mine's not... is it normal?
Certain individuals, yes. I have four garters (and once upon a time, a corn) that will, most of the time, eat even during the blue phase, but I also had one that wouldn't eat at all once the eyes started to get cloudy.

Lori P
02-19-2008, 06:36 AM
yes.. this is the juvie cali... i've tried live pinky and small white mouse.. it kept throwing up.. i fed it a bigger house lizard, and it does throw up.. is it ok 2 keep feedig him house lizards? it just shed this morning.. yesterday it ate a house lizard... whe a snake is ready to shed, is it true that it lost its appetite? but mine's not... is it normal?

Wait, did it throw up with the larger house lizard or NOT throw up? Sorry, just trying to understand... :-)

kenn777
02-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Wait, did it throw up with the larger house lizard or NOT throw up? Sorry, just trying to understand... :-)

not throww up.. but with the pikies, it "stragle" them first.. but not w/ the house lizards

Lori P
02-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Well, then, I'd say feed him the house lizards for now and maybe try the pinkies later on again... maybe in a month or so. But someone else may know better. The thing with the lizards is they do carry a lot of parasites... but the snake has to eat something... keep us posted!!

kenn777
02-19-2008, 09:49 PM
i the last 2 days, the snake keep soaking.. is it alright? is it ok for him to keep eating lizards?

drache
02-20-2008, 07:26 AM
he may be going into shed
a lot of soaking can also indicate mites
if you see tiny black specks floating in the water bowl, it's the latter

kenn777
02-21-2008, 01:48 AM
yes.. i saw some black stuffs in the water.. he just threw up a lizard.. this time, he strangle the lizard first... i assumed that everything that he strangle, he vomit it...

drache
02-21-2008, 06:36 AM
I think you need to give him mite treatment
there've been a few discussions on mites and how to get rid of them:

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/341-mites.html
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/1566-help-mites.html
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/urgent-care/1978-mites.html

many of my snakes stopped eating when they had mites and I think it affects their ability to digest properly
I hope this helps
and good luck

kenn777
02-23-2008, 11:08 PM
i was told to feed him chicken meat, boneless... is it true?

EdgyExoticReptiles
02-24-2008, 12:17 AM
no i wouldnt do that, first i would deal with the mites and then give his systems a little while to heal then try feeding him again

i was told to feed him chicken meat, boneless... is it true?