PDA

View Full Version : UK Shipping

Spiderqwan
12-10-2006, 05:00 AM
Does anyone know of any UK retailers breeders or suppliers that will deliver snakes, for future reference. I assume that shipping in from other countrys is gonna be a nightmare, do you need special licences and such .

abcat1993
01-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Sorry, don't live there

nessy
01-05-2007, 01:31 PM
i checked around the northwest when i was looking to buy my snake, and i'm sure there was one of the biggest reptile dealers in the country somewhere withing greater manchester... which is only local so i'm sure deliveries won't cost that much. although i didn't go that far for mine.

look on the yellow pages: definitely a big reptile shop somewhere...

a few of my local petshops are selling "indonesian garters"... seems quite common. Very cheap. was £15 last time i went. search for it on this forum; i've asked about them before. maybe try checking your local small petshops? you'll be surprised lol, i was!

CrazyHedgehog
01-05-2007, 03:04 PM
a few of my local petshops are selling "indonesian garters"... seems quite common. Very cheap. was £15 last time i went. search for it on this forum; i've asked about them before. maybe try checking your local small petshops? you'll be surprised lol, i was!

Are they not the back fanged ones that are poisonous and not really garters at all?

Stefan-A
01-05-2007, 03:10 PM
They don't belong to the same genus, but apart from that they should be very similar. Rear fanged and venomous, yes. Wouldn't go so far as to say that they aren't garters.

CrazyHedgehog
01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Are they garters then?
I thought they were part of the water snake family?
Do you know the proper name of them..as in Thamnophis......?

Stefan-A
01-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Xenochrophis, I think. Or Amphiesma.

OK, I take it back. "Keelback" seems to be a better name than garter snake.

CrazyHedgehog
01-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Anyway in answer to the original question, Chloe often has babies!!
I am hoping more for next year as most of mine are still quite young..
I think we would both deliver to Manchester for fare...
There is a guy in Manchester who often advertises, I think his name is Chris...

The tropical rain forest in Rhyl has about 3 or 4 different kinds in at the moment, all look healthy and every time you go into thee pet shop, they are cleaning tanks out, always clean and well looked after, I have bought a few from him, all doing really well. Prob won't deliver, but get a mate to drive you...it s worth it...

Cazador
01-05-2007, 03:59 PM
The Indonesian garters (misleading common name) deliver eggs instead of live young, so that's something to consider if you're thinking about buying some.

nessy
01-07-2007, 08:52 AM
if you haven't read this post, it's very informative: http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/95-indonesian-garter.html?highlight=indonesian+garter

CrazyHedgehog
01-07-2007, 10:26 AM
hmmm... still not convinced..

I am getting mixed information from the internet searches, some saying lovely and calm, never bite and not venomous to others that say things like...(and I quote):

"However, since a sister species X. vittatus is reported to have a venomous bite akin to "being stung by lots of bees"; and a related snake, the Tiger Keelback Rhabdophis tigrinus is considered a dangerously venomous snake - caution when handling X. piscator is probably not a bad idea."

stung by a 'lot of bees' is not something I feel is harmless!!

ssssnakeluvr
01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
I had a tiger keelback years ago....there have been reported envenomations and I believe one death attributed to them. However, mine was very calm. My mother was feeding my snakes and was bitten, had no reaction. she had been hand feeding since one of my snakes had neurological damage (that's another story!!!) The keelback would never take food from her had after that...she was feeding them fish pieces on a popsicle stick when it grabbed her finger by mistake. That all happened before I was able to find out what kind of snake it was.

zirliz
01-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Anyone ship to Ireland just across the sea from the UK?