PDA

View Full Version : Morphs???

sschind
12-08-2006, 09:05 AM
I have never been into all this morph stuff when it comes to reptiles. To me nothing was ever as pretty as a nice looking "normal" specimen. I do like naturally occurring morphs (melanistic eastern garters for example) but all the snows, hybino's and other man made morphs never did anything for me. I was on Scott Felzer's site last night however, and I may be starting to change my mind. I'm still don't care too much for the albinos and such but a lot of the anerythristic snakes and those with reduced reds and yellows are very nice looking. I could see myself getting something like that pretty easily.

Thamnophis
12-08-2006, 02:50 PM
You think about this matter in the same way as I do.

Stefan-A
12-08-2006, 03:07 PM
That sort of makes three of us.

Well, I don't like the whiteish morphs (albino, leucistic etc.), but pretty much anything else that commonly occurs in nature. I don't really have a good reason for it, it's just that albinism is about as appealing to me as bicephalism. The snake doesn't have to be "normal", though and as you can see on Scott Felzer's site, there are a lot of beautiful naturally occurring morphs.

ssssnakeluvr
12-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Scott has some REAL nice snakes!! I like all forms of garters myself....I do have a baby red sider born from a normal mother that was wild caught...he has orange instead...real nice orange...he's taking rat pups now....I will be getting out and taking some more photos soon and will post pics of him.

abcat1993
12-08-2006, 04:59 PM
OOOOO, I want to see that. An orange garter? Sweet.

sschind
12-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Scott has some REAL nice snakes!! I like all forms of garters myself....I do have a baby red sider born from a normal mother that was wild caught...he has orange instead...real nice orange...he's taking rat pups now....I will be getting out and taking some more photos soon and will post pics of him.

Sounds cool, I can't wait to see the pictures. I could get into that. Its a morph born to a normal parent. I could possibly even convince myself to like albinos since they do occur naturaly as well. What I don't like is crossing the albinos to hypos and creating snows and stuff like that. Morphs that are essentially man made. Yes they are natural in a sense that it is all genetics, but is is manipulated genetics, genetics that would never occur in nature.

Thamnophis
12-09-2006, 08:43 AM
bicephalism

What the f... is bicephalism?

snakeman
12-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Two heads.

Stefan-A
12-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Actually it should correctly be called bicephaly, dicephaly or polycephaly. Bicephalism is the same thing, but I have no idea if it's a correct word.

Like snakeman said, two heads.

Snaky
12-09-2006, 12:07 PM
There are morphs that I like, but I don't especially want to collect them since most of the time I find the natural colors have more attraction to me.

I also am a bit afraid of the inbreeding that occurs often with morphs. Breeding the mother again on the offspring, I'm afraid that it has a negative influence on the species on the long run. Although in the future I'll probably take in some morphs that I really like.

ssssnakeluvr
12-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Here's the male red sider with ornage....fiesty little fella!!!!!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//504/medium/orange.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//504/medium/orange_2.jpg

Not the best photos, but you can see the orange. Too much snow onthe ground to go out andtake good photos......

abcat1993
12-09-2006, 01:59 PM
I wish I could see it in person, but nice pics.

Snaky
12-09-2006, 04:34 PM
A garter with a little temper, nice. Looks like a beauty.

snakeman
12-10-2006, 09:15 AM
My favorite right now would have to be my erythristic easterns.I have two that look totally different from one another.It seems like no two look alike.Plus they are naturally occuring.I am working on a albino flame project this year.That is still a few years down the road.I think you will have to look at albinos different then.These are going to look awesome!

ssssnakeluvr
12-10-2006, 09:51 PM
that would be cool, Scott has some like that...I was going to get some flame x albino easterns, but I splurged on my albino red sider and male het albino....

ClosedCasket88
12-11-2006, 11:40 AM
hey snakeman.
do u have a picture of them erythristic easterns?

snakeman
12-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I have pics from the guy I bought them off of.They are hibernating right now.I will try to upload them to the gallery.They may be too big.

ClosedCasket88
12-11-2006, 06:31 PM
what are the chances of me copping a pair off you this year ?

snakeman
12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
I will keep you in mind.You never know though.Last year I had really bad luck.Got a ton of stillborn flames.As I recall Felzer had a terrible year as well.He said he got one clutch from all of his easterns.He has a hell of a lot more than me.Hope fully we will both have a good year.I also hope he gets some of the silver morphs this year.My hets are the meanest snakes on the planet.I have had cobras with better temperments than these things.