PDA

View Full Version : Breeding rosies! :D

Zephyr
02-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm trying my hand at it.
Bought a group of 20 somewhat healthy gray ones today, stuck'em in a 10 gallon with no lighting or heater (Water temp is 76) and Ph 7.0.
I'm assuming that about half will die by tomorrow, leaving me with the best of the best.

Any advice?

KITKAT
02-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm trying my hand at it.
Bought a group of 20 somewhat healthy gray ones today, stuck'em in a 10 gallon with no lighting or heater (Water temp is 76) and Ph 7.0.
I'm assuming that about half will die by tomorrow, leaving me with the best of the best.

Any advice?

I have been told that roseys are safe. I have been told that roseys are not safe. I have been totally confused.

But now, in my reading, I have come to the conclusion that roseys are on the thiaminase list. I have been told they are fathead minnows, and fathead minnows are definately on the "bad" list.

Further, I just lost a juvenile snake that was refusing to eat anything but rosies... and I believe she had thiamin deficiency.:(:(:(

enigma200316
02-06-2008, 07:21 AM
I have been told that roseys are safe. I have been told that roseys are not safe. I have been totally confused.

But now, in my reading, I have come to the conclusion that roseys are on the thiaminase list. I have been told they are fathead minnows, and fathead minnows are definately on the "bad" list.

Further, I just lost a juvenile snake that was refusing to eat anything but rosies... and I believe she had thiamin deficiency.:(:(:(

well if Fathead minnows are on the list then Rosies are bad, because they
are a morph if you will of the fathead minnow.............sad news:( The Golden or xanthic strain of the fathead is the rosy-red.........

Zephyr
02-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Yep, I've known this. Most of the fish we have for feeders are thiaminase (or thiamin, whichever it is) filled, so...
In the wild where I find my garters, the natural lake and artificial pond are overrun with introduced goldfish, and yet the snakes have no apparent problems.
I'd say that it's fine to feed rosies as part of the diet, but not all. I believe they have a lower ammount of thia whatever than goldfish by a large percent.

enigma200316
02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
all I know is like every other feeding I use a multi-vit. no matter what I'm feeding.............:D

Sputnik
02-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I have to stop misreading this thread title as " Breeding noises"! :o