PDA

View Full Version : Handling Garters

Spiderqwan
12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
How often should garter snakes be handled. The snake was coping really well with being handled gently for a couple of minutes every day up until tonight i've just tried to pick it up and it totally freaked. It zipped round real quick and then cornered itself, when I picked it up it was very tense and agitated, it then musked, I think, as it gave of a very strong smell and I had a white residue on my hand :eek: . He’s settled down now and is patrolling the tank as normal. I wasn’t particularly worried by this behaviour, however, I am curious to know what the general consensus is. Handle less or More. Everyone’s thoughts and opinions have been superb by the way I'm so glad I stumbled over this forum.

abcat1993
12-07-2006, 06:25 PM
That's strange. How many days have you been handling it? I don't really know how often you are supposed to handle it but 1-10 minutes seems fine, actually I think that was recomended by Cazador, Thamnophis, or somebody else (or maybe I read it online?).
By the way, my snake's musk doesn't smell at all. I picked him/her up, got sprayed, then smelled it to see what it smelled like and it smelled like nothing.

ssssnakeluvr
12-07-2006, 06:39 PM
if your snakes musk doesn't smell...it's not musk...just feces.... My captive bred ones don't musk very often if they do at all...wild caught on the other hand do a lot!!!!

abcat1993
12-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Well it's yellowish, and he does it whenever I pick him up. Although my freind said his snake crapped all over his wall when he picked him up (he has a milksnake though). When I asked him if it was actually poop he said it was brown.

ssssnakeluvr
12-07-2006, 09:06 PM
If you don't have the nasty musky smell, it's poop...mostly black and white, have seen it yellow also...when mine are in hibernation they poop yellow since they do drink but don't eat.....

Cazador
12-07-2006, 09:12 PM
If he musked on you, you would know it. The smell is unmistakable and very strong.

Sometimes, they just seem to want a little peace & quiet. Whenever they're agitated (twitching their tails or fleeing), I just leave them alone for a while and try again later. If they don't calm down after a few attempts (sometimes over a period of days), I take them to the bathtub! The goal is to make every handling session pleasant for myself and the snakes.

ssssnakeluvr
12-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I have a few that just won't calm down.....My snow plains is one.....my ornage red sider, high red oregon red spots.....bite me every time i try to feed, or at least try!!!

Thamnophis
12-08-2006, 01:05 AM
I only handle my garters when absolutely neccesary. And when i have too, i pick them up with a cloth. This calms them down and when they musk, they do it in the cloth.

Snaky
12-08-2006, 01:41 AM
I don't handle my snakes unless it's necessary. But when they musk, you'll certainly smell it, my cyrtopsis get's an A+ on that part.

abcat1993
12-08-2006, 04:14 PM
My garter usually pees on me apparently, but just last night I experienced a very bad smell while seeing if my snake had mites that I would assume is musk

Spiderqwan
12-09-2006, 05:30 AM
The musk tends to show as a semi solid white powder as far as I can gather and the smell seems to be stronger the less these snakes actually musk perhaps the more knowledgeable Herpes amongst us could clarify this a little more.

Cazador
12-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Reptiles and birds both produce uric acid as a waste product to deal with excess nitrogen. This is conceptually similar to urine, but uric acid is white and powdery. Their feces is brown and semi-solid and should either look like a turd or an amorphous mass of poop. The musk is clear or slightly tinged and is usually smelled more than seen.

When a snake squirts all over you (jets of liquid), I THINK this is the primary ultrafiltrate. If I'm right, it's the fluid from which uric acid is eventually produced. It means the snake is really freaked out.

Poets
12-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Regarding your question about how often to handle garters... I am not an experienced snake keaper. keep that in mind, but I did a lot of research prior to buying a garter and I still continue doing that.

What I gathered is that most garters get used to handling, especially if they are handled from a young age. Even wild garters apparently can get used to being handled, differing from species to species offcourse. I have also read that some snakes are just skimpy of "aggressive" and I deem its just a part of some snakes charakters... but I have concluded until now that most snakes do get used to being handled... there are some tips, like bathing and making sure they feel safe, try google

My own experience has told me my snake actually has moods, and sometimes it is quite squirmish but some times it is fine ans can relax quite easily. It has never Musked, but I had an experience with my first snake when it got caught on a piece of ducktape. It musked and I smelt bad for days! And its mood changed also, but in the end it had no problem with handling

So this is what I know, if your snake really doesnt get used to handling leave it alone... as much you can

I personally try to handle my snake every day, so it can get used to handling. I know a snake is not quite the cuddly dog you can have physical contact with but I do enjoy handling my snake.
I really do, its a great sensation

Cazador
12-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Poets,
I know what you meant, but dude... reread your last paragraph :o :p!

Snaky
12-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Poets,
Same thought:D

abcat1993
12-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Poets, just read that to yourself out loud over and over 'till you get it :D

Poets
12-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Poets, just read that to yourself out loud over and over 'till you get it :D

hehe yaeh it sounds a bit sexy (might even be a bit of truth to it), I just meen to say its "cool" I guess, but what of my other comments? Maybe thats more to the point

Thamnophis
12-10-2006, 02:17 AM
Poets,

There are also people under 18 on this forum!!! :eek: :D

Stefan-A
12-10-2006, 03:06 AM
There are also people under 18 on this forum!!! :eek: :D
Come on, people under 18 are probably the most active snake handlers. :D

Spiderqwan
12-10-2006, 04:03 AM
LOL my intention was not to start a smut thread. I thought being able to use the phrase "handle my snake" would have been met with innocence from herpetologists, I will be a little more careful from now on. Did make me laugh out loud though, and all laughter is good.

Thamnophis
12-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Come on, people under 18 are probably the most active snake handlers. :D

You've got a point there, Stefan :D
I have three suns under 18 :o :rolleyes:

Gijs & Sabine
12-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Wow, what's going on here ? I think I've entered the wrong forum, LOL:D

CrazyHedgehog
12-15-2006, 06:01 PM
I thought being able to use the phrase "handle my snake" would have been met with innocence from herpetologists, .

Hey herpertologists? well very loosley speaking on my part regarding me!!... but we are still allowed to have a dark sense of humour..
:cool: