PDA

View Full Version : What

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-30-2008, 08:27 PM
types of beef/meat can garters eat? im making a list for my mom of all the fish and beef they can eat so she can get the cheapest stuf

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-30-2008, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't feed beef to my garters, I recommend pink mice and rosy reds. But, others here use frozen/thawed trout. I'm not sure beef is the greatest thing to give garters, correct me if I am wrong its just that naturally a garter snake would never be eating a cow! haha

Josh
01-30-2008, 09:28 PM
yea reed i would suggest staying away from beef. stick with fish and all.

Elliot
01-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Some people feed beef heart or liver, but I don't know much about this so I won't recommend it. You could get whole trout if they're cheap enough and maybe you could save a few dollars.

drache
01-31-2008, 07:47 AM
the trout my garters have been working on
has been in my freezer for over six months
I just cut off pieces, including bone and all, making sure the bones are aligned and not sticking out anywhere
the entire fish cost me less than five bucks
now I think it's kind of old and I should get a fresh one

Snaky
01-31-2008, 08:35 AM
You can give beef hart, but I haven't done that either. So can not provide you with much info. But I know other who've done that.

But I can recommend to give them chicken ( with additional calcium ). Works fine, I give it from time to time :)

Lori P
01-31-2008, 12:09 PM
I've been feeding my minnows heavily on Omega One fish food, beef heart, shrimp, bloodworms... and I feed them extra heavy right before feeding them to the snakes. So in my little blonde thinking head, the snakes are therefore getting the vitamins/minerals in the fish food plus the beef heart by means of the fishies stomach contents. :-)

adamanteus
01-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Beef heart is actually a very good basic food, but dietary supplements must be used with it. Also it would be ill advised to use it exclusively of other foods such as pinkies and fish. Basically, it's a good, cheap 'bulk' food, if you have a lot of snakes to feed. I have used it frequently in the past, when I had very large numbers of mouths to feed. I never had a problem. At the moment I'm not using it, but I'm thinking of introducing it quite soon.

It's a shame Rick isn't around to tell us how his snakes are fairing on their diet of caribou strips.