PDA

View Full Version : Retained shed problem

gregmonsta
01-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Clint ... Terri's Florida Blue has had some retained shed on the tip of her tail since before we got her. I finally managed to remove the offensive piece after a good soak. Here's the result.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/DSC03258.JPG
Looks like the shed was restricting propper development. As you can see it looks a little inflamed although more pink than red. I applied some antiseptic and am waiting to see how it heals. Any advice would be welcome.

drache
01-29-2008, 12:29 PM
you did exactly what I would have done
did - in fact - with another snake
in his case, the piece of tail eventually fell off, but your snake's tail looks a lot better
good luck with that

adamanteus
01-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Wild Garters (and other snakes) frequently lose the tail tip in this way. In captivity we can usually avoid it, but only if adherent skin is removed pretty quickly after the event. I guess this could go either way, Greg.... it may heal or she may lose that little bit. Either way it doesn't matter to her. Stuff happens!

gregmonsta
01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Cheers guys ... :)

adamanteus
01-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Greg.. you sexed your parietalis? It's a male?

gregmonsta
01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
It looks it .... has a similar tail profile to 'J' in miniature and had already had my suspicions before. 75-80% sure as I can be for such a wee snake :) ... Got 'J' to eat!!! I had to present fish to him with scissors lmao :D you have him trained only to accept offerings from the food God in the sky ... he still doesn't seem to know what the food bowl is for :rolleyes:

adamanteus
01-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Whoops! My fault, I must have forgotten to tell you he's been tweezer fed since I got him.:o
He's been eating trout strips and pinky halves (cut lengthways).

CrazyHedgehog
01-30-2008, 03:09 PM
So sorry Greg, :( I didn't notice !! (so many of the buggers to keep an eye on missed that!) Its a good job you didn't have to pay too much for her!!:o

gregmonsta
01-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Don't worry Inge ... I realised that you have a lot of lovely snakes to look out for :) and with Clint's passion for hiding/burrowing it was easy to miss ... ;) looking forward to seeing all your snakeys again sometime :D