PDA

View Full Version : Frog legs...

Zephyr
01-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Bought some frog legs at Kroger for $1. Any one else use frozen frog legs for food?

GarterGuy
01-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I have in the past, I actually don't use them anymore. I had posted something about them quite a while ago and was told that the frogs are really treated very cruelly, so I stopped using them.

Zephyr
01-26-2008, 01:02 PM
The garters don't seem to lunge at them as much as they do with worms, so I'll probably only use them as a treat.

adamanteus
01-26-2008, 04:29 PM
I think I heard somewhere that they just cut the legs off without killing the frog first. Then they discard the still living, but legless frog and leave it to die slowly. I don't understand why they can't kill it first.

GarterGuy
01-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I think I heard somewhere that they just cut the legs off without killing the frog first. Then they discard the still living, but legless frog and leave it to die slowly. I don't understand why they can't kill it first.

Yeh that's what I heard as well. Very disturbing in my opinion.:mad: I've tried to find "domestic" froglegs, figuring they couldn't get away with that here in the states, but all the ones I've ever found at the grocery store are imported from somewhere else.

enigma200316
01-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Your better off catching them yourself and taking care of them as humanly as possible, or not using them at all................:(

KITKAT
01-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Nah... just eat chicken. It tastes like frog legs!

:D:o:D

enigma200316
01-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Nah... just eat chicken. It tastes like frog legs!

:D:o:D

thats what they say, a long with a bunch of other things that taste like chicken...............:D:D

tikichick
02-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Well they do taste like chicken kind of... icky greasy dark chicken meat-ish. Ew. I had rattlesnake once back in the 70's when I was a kid and it tasted like that, too. It grossed me out back then, now it totally appalls me to think of eating a reptile!

drache
02-02-2008, 06:01 AM
I think they're more tender than chicken
and if you cook them (preferably with garlic and wine), you don't have to worry about the parasites
of course that won't work for the snakes

gregmonsta
02-02-2008, 06:05 AM
I first tried frog legs in a restaurant here in Scotland lol .... :) I enjoyed them ... they were panfried in butter with herbs .... I'll try most things .... gastronomically curious me :D

drache
02-02-2008, 06:11 AM
me too
particularly pan fried with butter and herbs

tikichick
02-02-2008, 06:12 AM
My mom prepared the frog's legs and hadn't done it before, so I'm sure it'd taste better with the herbs or wine! The rattlesnake was at the "First Sometimes Annual World's Fair" in Luckenbach... or maybe it was the second... I don't think they had more than a couple, lol. It was fried and on a stick. I have no idea why I agreed to try it. I guess it was all the cowboy hats and spurs... seemed like the thing to do, lol. As an adult (without parents forcing me, or peer pressure) to try "odd" foods, the strangest thing for me that I've tried was snails. I would like to try some fried bugs, but not enough to seek them out, lol. A friend of mine went to China a couple years ago and had scoprion, snake, crickets, and I don't recall what else. Course it was all on a dare, lol.

GarterGuy
02-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Had someone try and get me to eat rattlesnake at a restaurant once, I told them...."I'll eat that when you eat poodle." Sorry, but can't eat something that's so close to my heart...I've loved snakes all my life and the thought that they're being killed so tourists can have an "exotic" snack kind of upsets me. That and the fact the meat would have to be from wild caught animals...it's not like there's rattlesnake farms out there to supply the demands. Snakes have it rough enough with out becoming a menu item on top of everything else. Yeh, I know.....I'll get down off the moral soap box now!:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
02-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Had someone try and get me to eat rattlesnake at a restaurant once, I told them...."I'll eat that when you eat poodle."
I'd eat poodle and rattlesnake. Actually, I'd eat panda, dolphin, condor and polar bear just to mess with people. :D

I don't think I'd even rule out cannibalism completely. :p

Sid
02-02-2008, 10:55 AM
I'd eat poodle and rattlesnake. Actually, I'd eat panda, dolphin, condor and polar bear just to mess with people. :D

I don't think I'd even rule out cannibalism completely. :p
Stefan, I'm beginning to worry about you:rolleyes:.

Stefan-A
02-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Stefan, I'm beginning to worry about you:rolleyes:.
Maybe you shouldn't worry, I'd only do those things to provoke people. :D

I'm also for whaling and clubbing seals. :p

enigma200316
02-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Maybe you shouldn't worry, I'd only do those things to provoke people. :D

I'm also for whaling and clubbing seals. :p

wow, Stefan your deff. a person to get the people talking...........;):D

Stefan-A
02-02-2008, 11:50 AM
wow, Stefan your deff. a person to get the people talking...........;):D
You bet.

A classmate told me once, after a debate/discussion, that's she'd like to know what I really think about things.

enigma200316
02-02-2008, 12:13 PM
yeah well I'd like to be inside your head for a day.........:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
02-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Who wouldn't? :D

drache
02-02-2008, 04:41 PM
kind of like "Being John Malkovich", but very different

tikichick
02-02-2008, 05:39 PM
...That and the fact the meat would have to be from wild caught animals...it's not like there's rattlesnake farms out there to supply the demands. Snakes have it rough enough with out becoming a menu item on top of everything else. Yeh, I know.....I'll get down off the moral soap box now!:rolleyes:

Oh I agree. I was 8 or 9 back then and didn't know any better.