PDA

View Full Version : Prefers fish over worms?

Beautifylgirl
12-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Okay so my T.s. fitchi prefers to eat fish over worms. I was wondering if this would be a problem in the long run. She was eating bass, trout, and the fish from my fishtank (swordtails, guppies etc). She really seemed to prefer eating the trout and bass over the tank fish so I was feeding those alot over the summer and fall. I tried feeding worms and slugs and such and she didn't like them. Is it okay to feed fish as long as she's getting supplimented with vitamins or should I try to get her to eat worms or cut up some other type of meat ? If I need to try some other type of meat what does everyone suggest? I don't think I'm up to trying pinky mice yet.
Thanks,
Brittany

Thamnophis
12-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Nothing wrong with feeding the fish.
If they donīt like worms and slugs, let it go.
You can add some other meat (chicken, cow) in slices to the fish.
Add some vitamin/mineral/calciumpowder to them.

Cazador
12-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Yep, fish are more nutritional than worms anyway. They're a step up from worms. When I cut up fish, I leave the rib bones within the meat to provide calcium and phosphorous. Just make sure there aren't any sharp edges sticking out too far. Then I just supplement with calcium powder a few times a month because it contains Vitamin D, which helps to metabolize the calcium.

As far as other meats, I've read that ground meat, like hamburger, isn't a good idea. It's probably just harder for them to manipulate. My personal preference is not to feed raw chicken (no disrespect intended, just a difference of opinion) because of the POSSIBILITY of spreading salmonella to the snake, and ultimately to myself. Best,
Rick

abcat1993
12-05-2006, 10:02 PM
I don't know much about salmonella, but can't you get it from red meat too?

Thamnophis
12-06-2006, 12:59 AM
The chickenmeat in the Netherlands is very well controlled and free of salmonella.
I mostly give chickenheart that is meant for cats and dogs. This also is very strongly controlled.
Don't know how this is in other countries.
You can get Salmonella from red meat too if the butcher was not careful with the hygiene.

abcat1993
12-06-2006, 08:19 AM
I just heard something on the news that said 83% of chicken in the US has salmonella, or 83% of the ones they tested did anyways.

Stefan-A
12-06-2006, 09:41 AM
If I remember correctly, less than 10% of chicken in Finland and about 0% in Sweden carry salmonella and I'd expect the Netherlands to be pretty much on the same level. I've also heard that about 75% of all CB reptiles carry it and about 25% of WC, but I haven't found a source.

Snaky
12-07-2006, 01:59 AM
Yep, fish are more nutritional than worms anyway.
I've always heard that worms are a very good nutritional meal. I was just wondering what's less nutritional in them. I expect calcium, but are there other things?

Stefan-A
12-07-2006, 03:54 AM
I think it's the calcium/phosphorous ratio that's the problem.

Cazador
12-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm going on a worm-bashing trip, here. They're a fine food, but they should be supplemented with vitamins, minerals, and occasionally other foods. A bit of variety, however, is good advise with any diet.

With that said, worms have a low concentration (density) of nutrients/compounds associated with skeletal formation & maintenance, neural development & maintenance, vision, and digestion. It's true that snakes can make MANY of these chemicals for themselves, but a diet consisting of vertebrates "provides" these nutrients without the need for extra processing. This alone, can make a big difference to snakes dealing with the stresses of captivity.

Worms also have to "conform" to their environment, which can expose them to a lifetime of harmful chemicals (i.e. fertilizers, pesticides, petroleum byproducts...). On the other hand, they can be fed well, kept in clean soil, and be an excellent part of a varied diet.

Finally, they have a high water content, so you have to feed a lot of worms to provide enough calories & nutrients to keep garters satisfied. Fish, on the other hand, have more complex physiologies that are more similar to that of snakes, and they provide more nutrients per unit mass. Healthy, well-fed mammals are even more nutritious. If this sounded too negative on worms, please reread the first paragraph.

Snaky
12-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I include worms in the diet, it's just one of the things I give as a variation of the food. But I thought they were more nutricious, thanks for clearing it up.

Spiderqwan
12-10-2006, 04:51 AM
I struggle to find worms in my garden as the chikens i keep eat em all:p

ssssnakeluvr
12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
I keep worms for mine. I have had real good luck with scenting pinkies with worms when I have had trouble with scenting with fish. I like to give mine a variety...fish, rodents, worms.

KITKAT
12-11-2006, 11:54 PM
I struggle to find worms in my garden as the chikens i keep eat em all:p

Just as well that you don't since worms that are in ground that contains chicken manure will possibly have a high salmonella count. :eek:

Greg'sGarters
11-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Try scenting earthworms with fish. Or something else you could do, if you have room. Get a freshwater fish tank going. Set it up, let it cycle and all that. Get some baby trout/bass and stick them in there (I personally would recommend trout because bass can have sharp spines). Gut-load (feed) the fish earthworms and then your snake will be getting the nutrients of both!

guidofatherof5
11-24-2012, 08:12 PM
You're getting better. This ones only from 2006.:D

Greg'sGarters
11-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Wow, I really have to start reading dates on what I reply to!

Selkielass
11-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Heh.
I ranger reading this when I was going back thru old stuff- it left me with the impression that worms were junk food and low in nutrition.
Never stop learning.

ConcinusMan
11-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Okay so my T.s. fitchi prefers to eat fish over worms. I was wondering if this would be a problem in the long run. She was eating bass, trout, and the fish from my fishtank (swordtails, guppies etc). She really seemed to prefer eating the trout and bass over the tank fish so I was feeding those alot over the summer and fall. I tried feeding worms and slugs and such and she didn't like them. Is it okay to feed fish as long as she's getting supplimented with vitamins or should I try to get her to eat worms or cut up some other type of meat ? If I need to try some other type of meat what does everyone suggest? I don't think I'm up to trying pinky mice yet.
Thanks,
Brittany

I know it's old but I thought I should mention it anyway. I wouldn't feed them Bass. Bass are at or near the top of the food chain in most waters. This means that they are very high in heavy metals and contaminants. They aren't even safe for people to eat if you ask me. Unless you live in the arctic, wild fish are going to have mercury. Bass especially. While one meal won't kill you, feeding on that stuff constantly will eventually result in mercury poisoning.

Heh.
I ranger reading this when I was going back thru old stuff- it left me with the impression that worms were junk food and low in nutrition.

Then you got the wrong impression.