PDA

View Full Version : Ok last minute Q's before end of brumation

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-15-2008, 08:09 PM
so im taking the male out a week and a half early to feed him up then im introducing the female to him, if everythings good than the male will be following the female everywhere, that means there going to mate right? (if it doesnt what signs show that they are or are intrested in mating? and if the male is not interested separate them untill the female sheds right? and if they are still not intrested im supposed to simulate a cold snap?

Thanks,
Reed

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
This sounds like an okay plan of action to me! It's what I would do in your situation. go for it and i hope all goes well for you! usually, male garters do not waste time when theres a receptive female nearby!

adamanteus
01-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Sounds like a plan, Reed. Although you might find that the male isn't really interested in food until he has mated. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

garterchick
01-16-2008, 12:59 PM
ok, if that's how you're supposed to do it i did it all wrong! i brought everybody out at the same time, some have eaten, some haven't, none are feeling "romantic". hope i didn't screw it up...

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
its beens 9 1/2 weeks for my other pair but the female is getting a little skinnier than i would like so i was thinking id do 10 weeks then start bringing them up? or is 10 weeks not enough to stimulate breeding ( i want to make sure they breed)

adamanteus
01-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Well Reed, you don't want her losing too much weight. I guess that has to be your priority.
I've had them breed many times in the past without any brumation at all.

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-16-2008, 03:55 PM
ya i agree i would be devistated if i lost her, i hear that a lot of people only do 8 weeks and it works good so im suree 10 weeks is enough right?

Well Reed, you don't want her losing too much weight. I guess that has to be your priority.
I've had them breed many times in the past without any brumation at all.

adamanteus
01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
There are never ever guarantees, Reed, but yeah, I would warm her at ten weeks if she's losing weight noticeably.

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
will do :rolleyes: then ill fatten her up again so shell be good to have babies

There are never ever guarantees, Reed, but yeah, I would warm her at ten weeks if she's losing weight noticeably.

Snaky
01-17-2008, 07:36 AM
ok, if that's how you're supposed to do it i did it all wrong! i brought everybody out at the same time, some have eaten, some haven't, none are feeling "romantic". hope i didn't screw it up...
That should not be a problem :)
I put them in brumation at the same time and I take them out at the same time. I've had no problems with no eaters ( males sometimes wait a few months before they eat ) and also no problem for the mating.