PDA

View Full Version : New to snakes

rex
12-30-2007, 09:49 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to find your site. Rex is our family's first snake (a baby garter). I would like to share how we came to care for Rex with you because it is a bit unusual. As I opened the kitchen cabinet to get a cup for my morning coffee, there he was coming out to greet me. He didn't seem to fear me at all (he was a little sluggish as this was just before Christmas). I was surprised but am used to the garters as there are several who live in the siding of our house and they have come into the basement before (although, I've never had them come upstairs). We enjoy having them around. They like to sit right outside the back door and sun themselves in the driveway.

We decided to keep Rex until it's warm enough to release him back outside in the summer.

My concern is the feeding. I'm used to feeding dogs & cats who eat every day and want to make sure Rex is getting the proper amount. The pet shop recommended red worms (he's eaten about 3 in 2 weeks) and freeze dried crickets (not interested).

Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks

adamanteus
12-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Kris, and welcome to the forum.:)
Forget the crickets, Garters don't eat them, alive or dead. The best type of worms to use are night-crawlers. You might also want to use fish and mouse pinkies as staple foods. You'll find a lot of useful information to get you started right here:
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet
Hope you enjoy it here, and maybe hold on to Rex, even after the spring warm-up!:D
By the way, what species is Rex? Where in the US are you?

tikichick
12-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the forum! These folks know EVERYTHING about garters! :)

There's a care sheet here that'll tell you about diet, etc.

They don't usually like crickets. Fish, worms, frogs are the main things. You can get feeder minnows (not goldfish, those are toxic) or use fresh fish from the supermarket, like trout or salmon.

I'm new to garters, myself, so I'll let the others give you the full run down ;)

Glad to have you here!

anji1971
12-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Hello, and welcome! You are so lucky to have garters living in your house siding -- you can enjoy them all the time! :)
All I get are spiders........yuk!

Bay_area
12-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Hello & Welcome to the Wonderful World of Snakes! You have started a journey that will take you further than your dreams could ever imagine. *Warning* May be habit forming!!! Once you step into this world, you'll never want to go back. Are you ready to enter the relm of enjoyment & excitment??? Are you???

zooplan
12-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Hello Kris,
that must be a place near heaven were garters are basking in the backyard.
Do you know what kind of garter Rex is?
In what part of the US do you live?

Odie
12-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Kris :)

enigma200316
12-30-2007, 12:33 PM
welcome to the forum...............:)

Stefan-A
12-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Welcome aboard, Kris. :)

Sid
12-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Welcome to a great forum, Kris. You'll find tons of help here:)

drache
12-31-2007, 05:24 AM
welcome to this forum, Chris
when you mentioned the garters living in your siding, I immediately thought of Terry, a forum member who has them visiting his sun room
you might enjoy this thread:
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/578-baiting-snakes.html
Rex seems to have found a very nice dossing pad

Lori P
12-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Welcome, and hope you enjoy it here! Sounds like Rex knew right where to go to spend a leisurely winter!!!

rex
01-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Rhea, that was cool. I might consider putting a light in the crawl space to see what happens. Happy New Year!

rex
01-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Kris, and welcome to the forum.:)
Forget the crickets, Garters don't eat them, alive or dead. The best type of worms to use are night-crawlers. You might also want to use fish and mouse pinkies as staple foods. You'll find a lot of useful information to get you started right here:
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet
Hope you enjoy it here, and maybe hold on to Rex, even after the spring warm-up!:D
By the way, what species is Rex? Where in the US are you?

We live in Illinois and believe Rex is a Common Garter. We do enjoy having him. Quite a curious snake, always sticking his head out when he feels us walking down the hall towards the room he's in. He's also a nice snake, nervous when we handle him but has never tried to strike us. Don't know about keeping him in the spring. I think he'd be much happier in the garden or wood pile with the snakes out there.

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year.

Kris:o

ssssnakeluvr
01-01-2008, 07:58 PM
he is probably an eastern garter in that area. use normal nightcrawlers....you can also catch the small worms in your yard, we call them angleworms, they are smaller than nightcrawlers and are all pink, no purple head end. if the red worms are what i think, red wrigglers, they are toxic to snakes. oh, and welcome to the forum....pictures would also be nice!!! we love pictures!!!! :D