PDA

View Full Version : When feeding multi-housed snakes...

Zephyr
12-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I have found that feeding each individual a piece of worms is not only time consuming but ineffective.

However, what I have found is that chopping the worms into baby snake head sized pieces decreases food fights and allows each snake to eat to and not beyond its capacity. *Ever seen a snake struggle wit ha night crawler who's decide he wants out of that snake's mouth?*

Elliot
12-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Well you could always seperate them when you feed them if that's a problem.

adamanteus
12-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I think we all chop worms to the appropriate size...nice! They are inclined to crawl back out if they can!

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-11-2007, 06:24 PM
yah my snake ate a worm one time and i was going to give him another when the snake was opening its mouth to re-aline its jaw the worm crawled back out, when my snakies have their babies come springtime i think im going to make a mix of pinkie parts, worm parts, small fish or cut up big ones, i was wondering if i could put all the babies together im excpetcing like 30 because the female puget had 7 babies with its last owner and the female maritime had 20 so i was wondering if i could put them all together?

Zephyr
12-11-2007, 06:30 PM
I've done that, mixing pinky parts, fish parts, and night crawlers at a ration of 25%, 25%, and 50%. Really works wonders.
That along with braining.

zooplan
12-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Most of us feed as less worms as possible, I think, because worm diet produce most feces.
But I´ve also feeded night crawlers "ad libitum" to subadult snakes and they had to swallow several worms twice.

Odie
12-12-2007, 03:21 AM
I have found that feeding each individual a piece of worms is not only time consuming but ineffective.*
Robin and I feed are snakes seperate because we like to watch them eat and Five just ate her first meal without help :cool:

Loren
12-14-2007, 01:39 AM
I used to keep my valley(t.s. fitchi), sierra (t. couchii), and western terrestrial(t.e. elegans) garters all together. I finally decided it was just much easier to house them separately. Plus the terrestrial was catching up in size and starting to attack the others when he got in feeding mode. I had to forcibly separate him from the valley several times.

tikichick
12-14-2007, 10:10 PM
So far, all I've found around here is red wigglers and those are bad, correct? A friend suggested I try home depot's garden department for regular earthworms.

Do any of yall here in the states order earthworms online?

The ironic thing is that I live near the lake, you'd think one of the stores that carries fishing bait would have them, but all they carry is fancy stuff. :rolleyes:

KITKAT
12-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Do you have a Petsmart in your area?

In the frozen fish food area, they have nightcrawlers in styrofoam boxes. I think it is $3.99 for two dozen... not a great price, but should be available in your area.

drache
12-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Do any of yall here in the states order earthworms online?

I've done it once and it was too many worms
at the time I lived in an appartment and just didn't have a good place to keep them

tikichick
12-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, yall :) I'll try the petsmart. I didn't think about being overrun with worms... EW! lol

ssssnakeluvr
12-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Places like walmart have worms...in the outdoors section, fishbait. you can keep the little containers in your fridge.

tikichick
12-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks, Don, I'll look there, too :)

gregmonsta
12-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Watch out n makey sure they're the right worms ...

tikichick
12-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Which worms should I avoid?

adamanteus
12-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Avoid the 'Red Wrigglers'.... they're toxic. You want regular earthworms (night crawlers).

tikichick
12-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Ok, cool, thanks! I thought I read that the red wrigglers were bad mojo, but I wanted to be certain. Unless they do a dance or play an instrument, all worms look alike to me, lol.