PDA

View Full Version : Poop?

mycolorfulheart
12-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have one garter named Raphael, I got him about 6 months ago and he's been an awesome addition to the family. :)

Since about a month ago he's been very picky about eating, i usually feed him 1 fuzzy and 1 pinky a week, but he hasn't been eating anything for 3 weeks or more. He's been active like normal so I thought he was okay. Yesterday I found this orange-ish pellet in the hut that he usually hangs out in, it's looks kind of like jelly but it's hard. I don't know how long it's been in there, I usually leave him alone in his hut but last night I was giving him a pinky and wanted to make sure he came out to sniff it. He hasn't eaten it yet, so I doubt he will.

Is this a normal thing? I've never heard of it before! Any info would be great.

Lulu Bennett
12-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have one garter named Raphael, I got him about 6 months ago and he's been an awesome addition to the family. :)

Since about a month ago he's been very picky about eating, i usually feed him 1 fuzzy and 1 pinky a week, but he hasn't been eating anything for 3 weeks or more. He's been active like normal so I thought he was okay. Yesterday I found this orange-ish pellet in the hut that he usually hangs out in, it's looks kind of like jelly but it's hard. I don't know how long it's been in there, I usually leave him alone in his hut but last night I was giving him a pinky and wanted to make sure he came out to sniff it. He hasn't eaten it yet, so I doubt he will.

Is this a normal thing? I've never heard of it before! Any info would be great.

a pic of the 'hard jelly' might help but i have no clue

adamanteus
12-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Judging by the photo in your other thread, Allison, I think Raphael is a female. The 'hard jelly thing' may well be a 'slug' or 'jelly-bean', i.e' an infertile or failed egg/embryo. This isn't any cause for alarm, it happens sometimes. As Lulu says, a photo would be useful.

The inactivity and disinterest in feeding may well be be due to the time of year.... she probably wants to brumate. She appears in good condition with plenty of body weight, so I would go ahead and brumate her.

mycolorfulheart
12-10-2007, 06:10 PM
! he's a she!

Here are some pics:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/brockley2/IMG_3526.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/brockley2/IMG_3525.jpg

mycolorfulheart
12-10-2007, 06:10 PM
i should also say it's much smaller than it looks in the pic, i was just trying to get a close up...maybe about an inch long in real life.

adamanteus
12-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Yes, Allison, he is a she. And yes, that's a 'jelly-bean'.

mycolorfulheart
12-10-2007, 06:13 PM
thanks so much!! i was worried.

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-10-2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet
scroll down to the hibernation section if you want to learn how to brumate her, what type is she?

Stefan-A
12-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Nice to finally see a picture of one of those. :) My female parietalis should be big enough to squeeze out those, but hasn't done it yet.

adamanteus
12-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Stefan, maybe your parietalis has retained the sperm from the matings you observed, and will self-fertilize in the spring.

Stefan-A
12-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I've been keeping my fingers crossed since the male died.

adamanteus
12-10-2007, 06:21 PM
My fingers are crossed for you too, Stefan.:)

ssssnakeluvr
12-10-2007, 10:56 PM
definitely a jelly bean....my florida blue threw about 25 last year and again this year. My western terrestrial threw one last summer....hasn't been with a male for years, and didn't breed as the male died in hibernation. not uncommon for that to happen.

tikichick
12-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Welcome to the forum! I hope you get little ones come spring time :)

Lori P
12-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Wow, learned something again. Jelly beans, go figure. I thought the Easter Bunny brought those... :-)

ssssnakeluvr
12-13-2007, 04:01 PM
if the easter bunny delivered these....I have a snake for him to meet...:eek:

Lori P
12-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Don. Please do not feed the Easter Bunny to your snakes. Sheesh... what's next, Santa and the reindeer??

drache
12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Don. Please do not feed the Easter Bunny to your snakes. Sheesh... what's next, Santa and the reindeer??
them we would have to feed to the burm Brandon used to have