PDA

View Full Version : Natural

KJ Exotics
12-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Has anyone got there garters in a natural set-up i mean like a viv, with moss live plants soil, feed them on earthworms ???
Anyone got any photos, plus URL step by step guides on how you did it ???

Serpentine99
12-08-2007, 01:45 PM
most do not do that because you would have to change it very often for fear of parasites and bacteria

KJ Exotics
12-08-2007, 01:47 PM
i was thinking about that, and what about a mini eco-system with woodlice and springtails there, (i keep dartfrogs).

Serpentine99
12-08-2007, 01:51 PM
im not really sure about that, but i would still think it would be too much of a hassle to change so often and a risk of diseases.

adamanteus
12-08-2007, 01:55 PM
I like the idea of 'natural', but I agree it would be close on impossible to maintain well, in a very small indoor space. I am considering an outdoor enclosure, Kieron. Have you thought about that as an option?

KJ Exotics
12-08-2007, 01:58 PM
I understand where you comming from people, thanks.

I am considering an outdoor enclosure, Kieron. Have you thought about that as an option?

LOL, it hard enough to get just a snake never mind let me have it outside lol.

Stefan-A
12-08-2007, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't recommend it (a truly natural setup). I'd imagine a garter would still produce a lot more waste than a dozen dart frogs. I've played with the idea of a mini-ecosystem more than a few times myself, but this problem is one that can only be eliminated through constant cleaning.