PDA

View Full Version : Thamnophis.com World Meeting

Pages : [1] 2

adamanteus
12-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Here's a thought:

What if we organized a HUGE Thamnophis.com meeting.... somewhere in the US, at some time in the future? We could gather members from all over The States and Europe, and have a great get-together for two or three days. Maybe even with a day of field herping thrown in?

Obviously this would be quite expensive for some of us, so a lot of forward planning would be needed. We would need to consider;
Location, somewhere easily accessible for the maximum number of members, but with interesting herps.
Season, of course we want good herping weather, but we need to consider school holidays etc.
Proximity to airports, for obvious reasons.
Availability of accommodation.
Maybe even export permits, we Europeans might want to bring something home!

This is just the very beginnings of a plan. I need you guys to 'flesh out the bones' if you think it's a good idea.

Lulu Bennett
12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
I think it is a fantastic idea but for me it wouldn't be until 2009 as i already have a trip to london planned, a trip to Hamm planned and a holiday for 2 weeks in Syria. so i am well and truely skint until then.

Zephyr
12-05-2007, 05:12 PM
2009 works for me! :D

adamanteus
12-05-2007, 05:14 PM
I think that 2009 would probably be the earliest! How about accommodation? We could rent a farmers field and have a giant camp!

marty5150
12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Sounds good to me. but in 09 i will be transferred most likely to alaska

Stefan-A
12-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Just to get this out of the way, I'm not going to be able to participate.

James, you asked for my input, so here it comes: I think it's overly ambitious. :p

adamanteus
12-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Will it just be me, sitting on my own in the middle of a field..... wishing I'd remembered my tent?:o

Zephyr
12-05-2007, 05:58 PM
I'd be able to go fo sho. :P

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-05-2007, 06:32 PM
ill go i think

Ameivaboy
12-05-2007, 06:51 PM
How bout San francisco, close airport(s), It's a world class city, lots of herping in the surrounding area and last but most certainley not least,San francisco Garters!!!! (though they are found a bit south of the city)

anji1971
12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
I think it's a fabulous idea, as long as I have at least a couple years to plan. 2010 would probably be ideal, and I bet something like that would be awesome!! Doesn't really matter to me where in the US it is, but somewhere where the kids and hubby could enjoy themselves while I'm out herping!;)

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
dont forget california garters which were actually alowed to collect

How bout San francisco, close airport(s), It's a world class city, lots of herping in the surrounding area and last but most certainley not least,San francisco Garters!!!! (though they are found a bit south of the city)

Sid
12-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Great idea, James.:D:D:D Count me in!!!

adamanteus
12-06-2007, 03:59 AM
I guess a good starting point would be to establish how many members would be interested, and where those members live. So I've added the poll.

Thamnophis
12-06-2007, 04:15 AM
I do not think I will be able to join... Maybe when I am retired (2021)...

Not I do not want to. I think it will be a great happening to join...

Snaky
12-06-2007, 04:19 AM
It's a great idea, but I'm also a bit sceptic about it. It will be a difficult organisation...

I would propose to make some herping trips while we are there ( maybe someone localy knows some good spots ), I think that could be fun. And I'm quite interested in the export possibility...

So if it's possible at that time, count me in.

edit: Lol. I have a great custom title at the moment :D

jewel-dragons
12-06-2007, 04:36 AM
i think it's a better idea to do one in the us,and the other somewere in europe :-)

adamanteus
12-06-2007, 05:01 AM
That would certainly be easier, Kuno. But I want to meet our American and Canadian members too. I'd have to go to both!!:eek:

Stefan-A
12-06-2007, 05:03 AM
There's a simple solution to that problem, James. ;)

adamanteus
12-06-2007, 06:03 AM
There's a simple solution to that problem, James. ;)
What's that then?:confused:

Stefan-A
12-06-2007, 06:27 AM
What's that then?:confused:
Let them come to us. :D Organize the World Meeting in Europe. :p

enigma200316
12-06-2007, 07:01 AM
well I'd love to however it would have to be in the US. I don't see me being able to cross the pond any time in the near future..........:)

adamanteus
12-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Let them come to us. :D Organize the World Meeting in Europe. :p

I hear what you're saying, Stefan, but what about the Garter field herping trip? No Garters in Europe. Plus the majority of our members are from the US.

Besides, do we really want all those Americans over here (again)?;):eek:

ssssnakeluvr
12-06-2007, 07:25 AM
sounds like a lot of fun to me!!!! As we get closer to a posible idea....need to make sure of the regulations in the area we are going. If we are collectiong snakes inCalifornia...you have to have a fishing license....Kansas requires a hunting license to catch reptiles (silly, yes). Utah is beautiful also....lots of wandering garters and we might be able to get Brian Eager to show us where a few valley garters are....:cool:

Stefan-A
12-06-2007, 07:49 AM
I hear what you're saying, Stefan, but what about the Garter field herping trip? No Garters in Europe.
The garter field herping trip sounds a bit ambitious, too. Who knows of a good herping spot within reasonable distance of a city with a major airport? It just looks like it's a lot of extra travelling.

Right, no garters in Europe, except for that tiny population in southern Sweden. ;) But there are 198 other herps in Europe, that don't get the attention they deserve.

Plus the majority of our members are from the US.Still, it's only fair that they too have to leave the country for the meeting.

Besides, do we really want all those Americans over here (again)?;):eek:Come on, they're okay in small doses. :p

adamanteus
12-06-2007, 07:55 AM
My idea was Eastern US... maybe the Carolinas? (Sids back yard!) The Europeans have to cross the Atlantic, the Americans have to cross the North American continent. (Except for Sid!) It's about as central as we can get, I reckon.:)

enigma200316
12-06-2007, 08:03 AM
My idea was Eastern US... maybe the Carolinas? (Sids back yard!) The Europeans have to cross the Atlantic, the Americans have to cross the North American continent. (Except for Sid!) It's about as central as we can get, I reckon.:)

that sounds like a good idea to me James............:D

adamanteus
12-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Just found a flight on-line from Manchester UK to Raleigh/Durham North Carolina... £231- return. That's not too bad!

Stefan-A
12-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Some have to, most of them don't. All Europeans have to cross the Atlantic. Besides, if the goal is that as many members as possible would need to travel the shortest distance necessary, then it should definitely be held somewhere in western Europe, where the member concentration is probably the highest. Then again, I've been considering a herping trip to the Balkans.. ;)

Why not Canada? There's that one obvious place in Manitoba.. ;)

anji1971
12-06-2007, 08:17 AM
I like Canada! Great idea Stefan!:D

adamanteus
12-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Canada? The idea is good, but do we have a 'man on the ground' as we do with Sid in the Carolinas? I doubt we'd be allowed to collect there. Are their any species other than parietalis (Stefans favourite:rolleyes:)to be found in Manitoba?

Any body else got ideas for the ideal venue?

Just found a flight from Manchester UK to Winnipeg Manitoba..... £828- return!

zooplan
12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I would like to go, but I´ll have to sell a lot of offspring to buy the ticket;)

adamanteus
12-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Of course, this was found in North Carolina!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//541/medium/Super_red_.jpg

drache
12-06-2007, 10:19 AM
since we seem to be in the brain storming stage of this dicussion - how about Mexico?
Accomodations are likely to be considerably less costly than any place n the US or Europe and there's some knock-out garters down there and Robert could be our "man on the ground" if he's willing

adamanteus
12-06-2007, 11:17 AM
That would be great, wouldn't it? Unfortunately ALL Mexican fauna is under a blanket export ban. I'm afraid if we ever want to bring anything out of Mexico, we're going to have to use my 'shorts plan'!

Stefan-A
12-06-2007, 11:26 AM
There are a few garter species in the countries south of Mexico, too. ;)

anji1971
12-06-2007, 02:18 PM
I liked Canada for purely selfish reasons.........I can bring home whatever I find without any hassles at all!!:D

jewel-dragons
12-06-2007, 02:48 PM
why not amsterdam....

we have good heineken beer...
red light district
coffee shops
and nice people :D

Stefan-A
12-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Geez, James, listen to the man. How the hell could the US compete with that? :D

drache
12-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Amsterdam
hm
I like it for reasons not even mentioned above

adamanteus
12-06-2007, 05:50 PM
My feeling is, for what I had in mind, it would pretty much have to take place in the US. Anywhere else would be a whole different kind of meeting.

I envisaged a Garter meeting in Garter country.... complete with a Garter field herping trip.

I've nothing against a European meeting, I'd probably go to it, but that's not really what I was proposing here.

Gijs & Sabine
12-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Kind of late :p but we would defenitely go with you, James !!
I haven't really thought already about the place to go, but I think we have to think realistic. If Sid wants to join that would be great after all the herp experience he has showed here :)
I will ask my contacts for any info about a trip like this....

Sid
12-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, I'm still interested in the idea, wherever it ends up being held. If the choice does happen to be the east coast, my suggestion would be North Carolina rather than South Carolina. We do have Eastern Garters here, but they are very hard to find. I make a trip to NC in the spring and the field herping there is even better than where I live. NC only has Easterns in the Thamnophis species, but toward the coast there are more other species than around where I live.
Again wherever it is, I am game and already saving my pennies up for it.

Boots
12-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Might be hard to pick a place to host it, but it is a great idea. We could even hold it every second year in a different location. lots of garters in Canada we could hunt down.

Jason

EdgyExoticReptiles
12-06-2007, 08:54 PM
thats a good idea but it will take some research to find where i say we do somewhere in the us first and then if we do it again maybe Canada, i elect James to do all the research:D

Might be hard to pick a place to host it, but it is a great idea. We could even hold it every second year in a different location. lots of garters in Canada we could hunt down.

Jason

zooplan
12-06-2007, 11:37 PM
On March 8th 2008 there is another membership meeting of the EGSA in Rheinbach,Germany.
Guests are allways welcome, also from the US or Canada.
It is the weekend before Terraristika in Hamm so a great start for a garter week in Germany.
Rheinbach (near Bonn;)) is close to Belgium or Netherlands too.
There will be a program of discussions, discourses and free (smalll)talking.
This maybe a nice exercise for a world meeting.

jewel-dragons
12-07-2007, 02:39 AM
for the dutch people here,i can look what i can do,my wife is working at a travel agency.... so she can look for the cheapest tickets.... if someone can give us a chicken barn :D to sleep.
we can go with a big group ;)

maybe we can do a little trip to the everglades....
we saw allready a lot in the states,but no florida..... ;)

jewel-dragons
12-07-2007, 02:41 AM
On March 8th 2008 there is another membership meeting of the EGSA in Rheinbach,Germany.
Guests are allways welcome, also from the US or Canada.
It is the weekend before Terraristika in Hamm so a great start for a garter week in Germany.
Rheinbach (near Bonn;)) is close to Belgium or Netherlands too.
There will be a program of discussions, discourses and free (smalll)talking.
This maybe a nice exercise for a world meeting.
that is also nice....
a little shame that im still not a member of the egsa..... :o

adamanteus
12-07-2007, 04:06 AM
There are some good ideas coming out now!:D I like Jason's idea of this being the first of many meetings/herping trips.

As Sid is keen to participate and he is familiar with the herping in the region, I vote for coastal North Carolina. There is an airport (New Bern) right on the coast. I have been checking out on-line flight prices from the UK (you guys would need to price up your own flights, but my findings will be a good indication), they seem to be around the £500- mark for a return flight to New Bern. Raleigh/Durham is considerably cheaper, but it would then be necessary to travel across the state.

Time-wise, how do we all feel about the spring of 2009? Or is that too soon?

Reed, thanks for mominating me as the researcher!:rolleyes: I think I will need a little help from the rest of you though!:)

drache
12-07-2007, 04:22 AM
is it the coast where we're herping?
it's not someplace like the Tennessee river basin?

adamanteus
12-07-2007, 04:43 AM
That is what I had in mind. Is there a problem with the Tennessee River Basin, Rhea?

adamanteus
12-07-2007, 04:51 AM
I have made contact with a camp site, just 5 miles north of New Bern. They have basic wooden lodges for rent, and very good on site facilities. I have explained who we are and requested a quote for a group discount. Let's see what they come back with.:)

drache
12-07-2007, 06:05 AM
That is what I had in mind. Is there a problem with the Tennessee River Basin, Rhea?

no problem with the Tennesse River basin at all
it's just not near the coast
I thought there'd be good herping there, but of course I'm completely ignorant as to where the good herping is - I just looked at the map and saw that big patch of green . . .

Sputnik
12-07-2007, 06:54 AM
I keep quiet for a few weeks and James comes up with the most amazing plan!
I have never been to the States so this might be a fantastic opportunity. No idea if I will ever be able to afford it but it's too soon to make that a real problem. :D

adamanteus
12-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Here's a map of the area. The small circle is the camp site, the large one is New Bern airport. Check out the surrounding country side on Google Earth!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/New_Bern_map.jpg

adamanteus
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I don't know if this is a complete list, but it's enough to get me excited!:D

Amphibians and Reptiles of North Carolina (http://www.herpsofnc.org/)

jewel-dragons
12-07-2007, 10:32 AM
i think 2009 is perfect,then we got enough time to make it a unforgetable happening!!
but for how long do you all want to do this?
we had to take a date that the garters are not in sleep anymore....
we were at the end of may... and there was no garter to find in colorado,wyoming etc....

but we come for sure.
now we have to try to have a group of minimum 100 persons!!! :D

adamanteus
12-07-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm hoping Sid's local knowledge will help us out with choosing the best time to go. I plan to go for a full week, others could come and go as they wish. They might want to stay for a week or just a couple of days.

Kuno, I think 100 members is unlikely! I hope to convince 20 people to join me.

jewel-dragons
12-07-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm hoping Sid's local knowledge will help us out with choosing the best time to go. I plan to go for a full week, others could come and go as they wish. They might want to stay for a week or just a couple of days.

Kuno, I think 100 members is unlikely! I hope to convince 20 people to join me.
offcourse... 100 was a joke ;)

but 1 week is nice,then can i take the plane with my wife and others who want to enjoy us to the everglades or something.... :)

enigma200316
12-07-2007, 10:59 AM
James thats a lovly list of herps, and is very exciting...........:)

Lori P
12-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I think this all sounds SO FUN... NC is even close enough for me to possibly make it!!!! But one of you has to come take care of all of my animals... :-)

Lulu Bennett
12-08-2007, 06:27 AM
1 week camping in NC sounds like a plan.
i will make sure i am able to go, although you will need to protect me from the DBR, pigmy, timber rattlers, the copper and the cottonmouth lol. not something i would like to see up close and personal. although i can bring back the hoggie and the ringneck :D
I will be there. my trip through africa can wait till the year later lol

adamanteus
12-08-2007, 06:30 AM
you will need to protect me from the DBR, pigmy, timber rattlers, the copper and the cottonmouth lol.

You forgot the Alligators!:D

Zephyr
12-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Bah, I'm looking forward to the roaches. ^^
Course there will be snakes, but there will be more roaches for me to bring back! :D

adamanteus
12-16-2007, 09:03 AM
I never heard back from the camp site near New Bern. Not that there is any firm decision made yet that we should go there. If we made Willmington airport our centre, we would be in Pender County NC.... that's where the Super-Red Garter was found. Anybody got any further suggestions as to venue?

ssssnakeluvr
12-16-2007, 05:44 PM
well...anywhere in NC would be good...can stop by the kings home...Scott Felzer lives there....would be an interesting stop!!!!!

Sid
12-16-2007, 06:05 PM
James, Wilmington is just to the east of where I have been on field trips for the last two years. I think Scott is about 3 or so from there.

adamanteus
12-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Wilmington sounds like a good base then, Sid. Let me research it over the next week, I'll try to find us some suitable accommodation nearby. I'm not sure yet how easy Wilmington is to get to, (for us Europeans). So, is everybody happy with NC as the venue for our first World Meeting?

ssssnakeluvr
12-16-2007, 06:16 PM
sounds good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enigma200316
12-16-2007, 07:55 PM
sounds good James................:D

enigma200316
12-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Hows the research coming James?? find anything else out yet??:D

adamanteus
12-19-2007, 01:39 PM
To be honest, Justin, I haven't had a chance to look at anything yet..... busy time at work before the Christmas shut-down.... but I'm on it and I'll keep you guys posted!

Serpentine99
12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
i'm all for NC. This will be great when this thing happens

Rook
12-21-2007, 09:44 AM
I could propably do it if its in Canada, a small possability if its in the US and no possability at all if its in Europe lol

adamanteus
12-28-2007, 03:51 PM
I have been able to locate another campsite, this one is about five miles outside of Wilmington NC, in a place called Ogden. I looks ideal. I have e-mailed them regarding our plans, so we'll see if this one responds.

ssssnakeluvr
12-28-2007, 04:26 PM
cool!!! maybe we can drag Scott Felzer over there, short drive for him!!!!!!

adamanteus
12-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, maybe. Check the area on Google Earth.... it looks good to me!
I can't decide whether to rent a dirt bike or a kayak.... maybe both on alternate days!

ssssnakeluvr
12-28-2007, 04:34 PM
looks like good snake area to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

adamanteus
12-28-2007, 05:44 PM
It looks pretty much as though NC will be the venue. If anyone knows anything about the laws regarding the collection of herps in North Carolina, please share your knowledge with the group!:D

adamanteus
12-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Here you go, Guys. This map shows the location of the campsite (on the right) in relation to Wilmington International Airport. If you want to see the local countryside have a look on Google Earth, you can zoom in on the campsite too.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//537/medium/Wilmington_campsite.jpg

Sid
12-28-2007, 07:10 PM
It looks pretty much as though NC will be the venue. If anyone knows anything about the laws regarding the collection of herps in North Carolina, please share your knowledge with the group!:D
James, In State Parks or reserves it will be illegal to take or molest anything. This even include plants and rocks. Outside of reserves and state run parks, I am not aware of any restrictions. My response is based on a one on one conversation with a NC DNR officer. I'll be going back up to the general area you have planned in April and will try to get more details to be certain.

jompiej
12-29-2007, 11:40 AM
sounds good to me! the only problem is raising the money for it :P

adamanteus
12-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, you've got more than a year to do that. You are travelling from the Netherlands? I think Kuno (Jewel-Dragons) is trying to arrange a discount fare for all our Dutch members to fly together.

jompiej
12-29-2007, 12:30 PM
yes, i saw, but the problem is, raising money is far more difficult for someone who's 15 years old:(
but i'll try my best!

GarterGuy
12-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Ok, been out of the loop for a while (job and such taking up too much time) but this is sounding really cool. I am SO in on this. I haven't done much herping in the Carolinas (except for the OutBanks area) and to do it with a bunch of garterheads is so very cool.

Loren
12-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, you've got more than a year to do that. You are travelling from the Netherlands? I think Kuno (Jewel-Dragons) is trying to arrange a discount fare for all our Dutch members to fly together.
I'm 100% Dutch, do I get a discount too? :D

adamanteus
12-30-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm 100% Dutch, do I get a discount too? :D

Sure you do, Loren.... but you have to go to the Netherlands to catch your flight!:D

adamanteus
12-30-2007, 03:34 PM
What is it with these camp sites, that they won't answer their e-mail?:mad:
Maybe they're all closed for Christmas. Or maybe I shouldn't have mentioned snakes!:rolleyes:

Zephyr
12-30-2007, 03:41 PM
2009 eh?
Sounds doable. :D

adamanteus
12-30-2007, 03:43 PM
It gives us over a year to save for it. I hope we get a good turn-out. I'll certainly be there!

Sid
12-30-2007, 03:52 PM
James and all, below is a link on collection reg's in N.C.

The Possession of Wildlife in North Carolina (http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/pg2d2.htm)

We can have less that 5 reptiles or less than 25 amphibians without needing a permit or license.

adamanteus
12-30-2007, 03:59 PM
The rules cited seem to refer to possession rather than collection and removal. It's a bit vague on the collection of non protected species. For example, it forbids the possession of rattlers but doesn't mention collecting them for removal from the state.
Certainly we Europeans will need export/import permits anyway.

adamanteus
12-30-2007, 04:09 PM
I think I will perhaps write to the NC Wildlife Resources Commission for clarification. We don't want to get into trouble, do we?:rolleyes:

adamanteus
12-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Just a reminder to all our non US residents who are coming on this trip..... You will need some form of license or permit to bring the snakes you catch back through your country's customs. I don't think it's complicated or expensive. I will be contacting HM Customs after the holidays, I'll let you know what they say, chances are it will be much the same for any EU country.

zooplan
12-31-2007, 01:40 AM
It will be cheaper and easier to put all snakes together as one parcel and divide again when they´ve reached Europe.

anji1971
12-31-2007, 09:27 AM
James, about the campsites:
Most of the ones in my area do close down completely for the winter, so if it's the same in the states, then they may not get to your email and reply until they reopen in the spring.
If you don't hear anything by March or April, then try again -- and maybe tell them we're just nice little wildlife photographers or something!!:D

hissy100
01-03-2008, 09:46 PM
NVM what i was going to say

joeysgreen
01-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I missed most of the middle of this thread. I hope to attend, and have lots of connections in the field herping realm withen North America. I'm sure we'll find lots of garters. Maybe me and Jason can car pool? Anyhow, I don't think this has been suggested; perhaps because it's sooooo obvious. How about meeting at the Narcisse snake dens in the spring. When it comes to thamnophis, it just doesn't get any better than that. The Manitoba Herp Society attends there each year and maybe we could let them know we are coming; I"m sure they'd be able to offer help with accomodations ect. I know of dens from 3 species in western Canada if that becomes an appealing place instead; but my vote is still for Narcisse. Lots of other herps in the area as well.

Ian

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-06-2008, 12:04 PM
stefan mention that, but you cant collect there and would we find anything else beside red-sideds?

I missed most of the middle of this thread. I hope to attend, and have lots of connections in the field herping realm withen North America. I'm sure we'll find lots of garters. Maybe me and Jason can car pool? Anyhow, I don't think this has been suggested; perhaps because it's sooooo obvious. How about meeting at the Narcisse snake dens in the spring. When it comes to thamnophis, it just doesn't get any better than that. The Manitoba Herp Society attends there each year and maybe we could let them know we are coming; I"m sure they'd be able to offer help with accomodations ect. I know of dens from 3 species in western Canada if that becomes an appealing place instead; but my vote is still for Narcisse. Lots of other herps in the area as well.

Ian

adamanteus
01-06-2008, 01:27 PM
It would also be about three times the cost to fly to Canada from Europe in comparison to NC. It was discussed earlier, but I think it might be a bit optimistic for a first meeting.

joeysgreen
01-06-2008, 01:39 PM
It costs more to fly to Canada than the US? I didn't know. Yes, you would find more than red sideds. Radix also frequent the area, as do non-thamnophis species like the smooth green snake, northern ringneck snake, red belly snake, northern water snake, painted turtle, snapping turtle, and a whole plethora of amphibians. But since cost is more prohibitive, this'll have to be a seperate outing :)

As for collecting, while I realize with some species it's the only route to gaining them into captivity, I hope this doesn't become the main goal of the trip. Perhaps with a meeting of likeminded thamnophytes, a gathering of captive bred offspring for trade could also occur instead. Being premedatated, it might be easier to work out the permits too.

Ian

joeysgreen
01-06-2008, 01:42 PM
ooh, I might as well point you towards Field Herp Forum (http://www.fieldherpforum.com) for a wealth of information on the subject. It's mainly a NA forum, and there are many NC members.

Ian

adamanteus
01-06-2008, 01:57 PM
With sirtalis being the only Garter species found in NC, I doubt that collecting is likely to become the main reason for us to fly half way round the globe, but it might be nice to bring home a momento.:)
If the first meeting works out well, Narcisse might be a good target for our second get-together.

Hannah
01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
California has some pretty amazing snakes.. California Snakes (http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/snakes.html)

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
yes CA has many different snakes i would probaly herp somewhere in the bay area

adamanteus
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I just thought I'd bump this thread.... two reasons; firstly to let our newest members see it, secondly to ask you all if you've started saving your pennies yet!:D

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-21-2008, 04:43 PM
lol i think im gunna go instead of going to go to england like i do every year

I just thought I'd bump this thread.... two reasons; firstly to let our newest members see it, secondly to ask you all if you've started saving your pennies yet!:D

adamanteus
01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah Reed, come with us. We need as many members as we can get. Where in England do you visit every year?
I like Ians' idea of using this as a 'swap-meet'.... if Terry (Stonyloam) comes I want some Maritimes!:D

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
triplow its near cambridge

Yeah Reed, come with us. We need as many members as we can get. Where in England do you visit every year?
I like Ians' idea of using this as a 'swap-meet'.... if Terry (Stonyloam) comes I want some Maritimes!:D

adamanteus
01-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Looking through Kristians' thread (coppola73), I want some T. e. terrestris too!:D

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
ill try to get some Ca red-sideds, costal garters, fitchi, and santa cruz garters when i go herping in the spring and i could probaly bring some

Looking through Kristians' thread (coppola73), I want some T. e. terrestris too!:D

Loren
01-21-2008, 06:19 PM
The southwest u.s. deserts can be awesome if the conditions are right. Not much garter action in most of it though. Not really by the airport either, unless maybe L.a.

adamanteus
01-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Loren, I always wanted to visit the desert states..... maybe one day.

Loren
01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I hope to get into the mojave a few times this spring and summer, if the conditions are ok. Last year the herps were few and far between due to drought. On a good 3 day trip, you might find 12-15 different species of herps, maybe more, with total individuals being far too many to count, on a year like last year, you might find 6-10 herps total, other than the fairly common side blotched lizards and whiptails. One 3-day trip (1500 miles driven total) last year yielded just 1 live snake found (a cal king), and a few dead on road, and a few lizards, but only the really common ones).

adamanteus
01-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Maybe we should make one of our future meetings a bit of a desert adventure? I'd be game for that!:D

So, do we have a majority consensus for North Carolina in 2009? Or should I be focusing my attentions elsewhere? I'd like to be sure that I'm pleasing as many members as possible.... if the first meeting is a success we're more likely to have subsequent meetings. More feed-back please guys!

EdgyExoticReptiles
01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
id just like to meet everyone in a place thats kinda foresty (has lots of herps of all kinds)

Maybe we should make one of our future meetings a bit of a desert adventure? I'd be game for that!:D

So, do we have a majority consensus for North Carolina in 2009? Or should I be focusing my attentions elsewhere? I'd like to be sure that I'm pleasing as many members as possible.... if the first meeting is a success we're more likely to have subsequent meetings. More feed-back please guys!

enigma200316
01-22-2008, 06:36 PM
NC, is fine for me.......:)

Serpentine99
01-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Same here, no problem convincing my parents to go, or they might even come along, that would save me the liberty of saving up money.:D

Sid
01-23-2008, 04:55 AM
North Carolina will work great for me, James.

GarterGuy
01-23-2008, 10:01 AM
NC works well for me. I think it's a good herping area and although there's only one species of garter there, there are lots of other herps to keep us entertained.

ssssnakeluvr
01-23-2008, 10:04 AM
NC would be great!! I could possibly bring some wandering garters for members that are interested....:D even tho there's only easterns there, there is a good deal of variation in patterns....maybe someone will find something interesting!!!!

adamanteus
01-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys.... NC it is (this time!)

anji1971
01-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I am starting to worry that I may not be able to go now......
My baby sister just got engaged, and her plans are to marry in Spring of 2009. I will be forking over cash hand over fist for dresses and tux rentals since everyone in my house is standing in the wedding, so I will quite likely be a broke@$$ by the time the World Meeting comes up!!
Those darned younger siblings -- even all grown up they still mess up your plans!!!
She's SO lucky I love her.......:D:D:D

Stefan-A
01-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Whoa, total déjà vu.

GarterGirl
02-16-2008, 05:39 AM
Count me in!!

Great idea, James!:D

enigma200316
02-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Hey any new news on this James....................:)

adamanteus
02-16-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm still waiting to hear from the camp-sites I e-mailed.... guess everywhere is closed for the winter. I'll sort out a venue, I have plenty of time!:rolleyes:

GarterGirl
02-16-2008, 04:18 PM
i can't wait!

Sid
02-16-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm still waiting to hear from the camp-sites I e-mailed.... guess everywhere is closed for the winter. I'll sort out a venue, I have plenty of time!:rolleyes:
James and all, I,m going up to the general area the last week of April. Plan to spend a little of my time checking some sites and their rates as well as confirming the local herping regs. I'll keep you updated.

Serpentine99
02-16-2008, 11:43 PM
James and all, I,m going up to the general area the last week of April. Plan to spend a little of my time checking some sites and their rates as well as confirming the local herping regs. I'll keep you updated.

thanks Sid, hope you come back with good news.:)

enigma200316
02-17-2008, 09:58 AM
sounds good Sid thanks................;)

Zephyr
02-17-2008, 11:17 AM
K thx Sid. XD
I hope we'll find some of those red easterns...

Sid
02-17-2008, 02:10 PM
K thx Sid. XD
I hope we'll find some of those red easterns...
Don't mind helping out at all. I'll be in the general area and that makes it less trouble for me than anyone else.
If we should find any of the red Easterns that would really put the icing on our Thamnophis World Meeting wouldn't it.:D

adamanteus
02-17-2008, 02:14 PM
That's great, Sid... I knew I could rely on you to be our 'man on the ground'.:) Good luck finding a venue.

Zephyr
02-27-2008, 08:04 PM
BTW, mainly because I don't feel like flipping through 14 pages of BLAH, what month were we planning on doing this? :P

EdgyExoticReptiles
02-27-2008, 08:31 PM
after june 8th would be the only time i could go (summer vacation) or during spring break (ill hafta find out when that is)

BTW, mainly because I don't feel like flipping through 14 pages of BLAH, what month were we planning on doing this? :P

Zephyr
02-27-2008, 08:33 PM
after june 8th would be the only time i could go (summer vacation) or during spring break (ill hafta find out when that is)
July or late June works best here. >>
I'm gonna be in France in early June. :P

Sid
02-28-2008, 03:47 AM
It surely needs to be late enough for school to be out for everyone. Some who are planning to attend will be bringing family. Still early in the planning stag, but something we need to get settled. What do the rest of you think on a date?

enigma200316
02-28-2008, 07:00 AM
June or July is good for me............:D

ssssnakeluvr
02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
June or July would work for me..except around the 4th of July

adamanteus
02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Any time works for me, I'll book time out of work to suit. I guess we need to think about when is a good herping season in NC.

enigma200316
02-28-2008, 01:48 PM
the days are usually warmer I would think in July, and nights are fairly warm also.......

adamanteus
02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure that the warmest time of year is necessarily the best time for field herping. Having said that, herping isn't the primary purpose of the meeting. My thoughts were that Springtime might be better, but as I said, I don't really mind what time of year.

Sid
02-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure that the warmest time of year is necessarily the best time for field herping. Having said that, herping isn't the primary purpose of the meeting. My thoughts were that Springtime might be better, but as I said, I don't really mind what time of year.
James, I agree that the really hotter months aren't the best for field herping. More moderate temps produce more finds, but with the primary purpose being a "World Meeting" of Thamnophis members we need input from all who wish to come and then set a date most suitable to the majority. With that said.....what do all of you this is best??

enigma200316
02-28-2008, 04:37 PM
well it would have to be no earlier than mid-to late June because of school
members that want to attend.........I think

Zephyr
02-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Late June or mid July works here.

adamanteus
02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Okay, I'm out-voted on the date. I just hope we're not disappointed with the herping in the height of summer. It'll still be loads of fun, and an opportunity for a swap meet.

Lulu Bennett
02-28-2008, 06:27 PM
how about the 23rd (tues) June till 30th (Tues) June? just to put some actual dates down. i really want to come but would need to get something booked soon so i dont end up wasting all my money before we book it

Zephyr
02-28-2008, 07:34 PM
how about the 23rd (tues) June till 30th (Tues) June? just to put some actual dates down. i really want to come but would need to get something booked soon so i dont end up wasting all my money before we book itMay or may not be good here. D:

enigma200316
02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
well really the hottest and most dry days of summer hear are usually late July into August, thats why they are called the dog days of summer.....
once again I think:confused: I'm not the sharpest tool you know.......:rolleyes:

but then again the weather is so unpredictable that you won't know what its going to be like til that day..........:eek:

EdgyExoticReptiles
02-29-2008, 05:29 PM
works for me

how about the 23rd (tues) June till 30th (Tues) June? just to put some actual dates down. i really want to come but would need to get something booked soon so i dont end up wasting all my money before we book it

adamanteus
02-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Tuesday till Tuesday seems like odd days to me....... I think that flights from Europe might be easier/cheaper from weekend till weekend.

EdgyExoticReptiles
03-03-2008, 10:20 PM
oh yea if the eggs hatch before we go ill have milk/corn/king hybrid babies and albino tangerine honduran milk snakes so if any1 wants to buy some of those i could bring them and cut shipping costs

osubeaver22
03-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I would come, with a parent or both, maybe a friend. I would like February vacation 16-24, but that isn't good season, so Late June to somewhere in Mid-August. It would be fun, what about Florida. NC would be nice though, 8 hour drive, and parents take care of money. I would go, just need to know the date like 2 months before it happens. If I bring my family it would be 3 or 4 people, depending on my sister. My sister and mom likes lizards, my dad likes lizards, but has had breed garter snakes in captivity before.

drache
03-05-2008, 08:00 AM
what about easter?
or does that make travel more pricey?
it's just sort of a good time of year and most kids get vacations

GarterGuy
03-05-2008, 08:04 AM
That might be a bit early for good herping. What do you think Sid? I haven't done much herping myself in your neck of the woods.

Sid
03-05-2008, 02:16 PM
That might be a bit early for good herping. What do you think Sid? I haven't done much herping myself in your neck of the woods.
Snakes can be found here and around the coast as early as Easter. However, the ground temps at that point are often not consistently high enough for field trips to be great.

Again for my part, while I do look forward to herping with all from the forum that can come, the primary objective is the meeting. So, keep the input on dates coming and we will see what is best for the majority.

James, could you start another poll to help track the best date?? Might prove helpful to us in the planning stage .

ssssnakeluvr
03-17-2008, 01:15 PM
I was wondering if any members from Europe would be interested in bringing some of the mexican species to trade with some of us that can't get them????? I can get wandering garters, t e vagrans, and possibly valley garters, t s fitchi. I don't know what the rules are regarding bringing them with you....does anyone????

drache
03-18-2008, 04:50 AM
oooohhh
I'd love some of the mexican species
it would blow through all my wish list restrictions

Snaky
03-18-2008, 09:28 AM
I think nobody of Europe really nows if this is legal to do so or not and what documents need to be made in order for that...

drache
03-18-2008, 11:23 AM
wouldn't Daniel know something like that?
I'm pretty certain, he's done this sort of thing
or perhaps that was shipping
and perhaps we would have to get some kind of import permit over here

adamanteus
03-23-2008, 04:04 PM
So, we now have agreement that the meeting will take place in North Carolina, close to Wilmington (Pender County) in July 2009. Only 15 months left to save your pennies!

Over the next week or two I will try again to contact local camp sites to make enquiries about accommodation. If any one has any preferences in this regard (allergy to camp fires etc) let me know.

Zephyr
03-23-2008, 07:26 PM
So, we now have agreement that the meeting will take place in North Carolina, close to Wilmington (Pender County) in July 2009. Only 15 months left to save your pennies!

Over the next week or two I will try again to contact local camp sites to make enquiries about accommodation. If any one has any preferences in this regard (allergy to camp fires etc) let me know.
H'okay dokey! I will most likely be able to attend, I've already got a piggy bank labeled *World Meeting 09'* :P
Can't wait! :D

lestat
04-06-2008, 01:41 PM
How about a smaller meeting in the uk once a year and then one in another European country too.:)

adamanteus
04-06-2008, 02:54 PM
There is a UK meeting in June this year.... the Europeans seem to meet all the time!!

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/2457-thamnophis-uk-meeting-2008-a.html?highlight=meeting

reptileparadise
04-07-2008, 02:23 AM
hmmmm...July 2009 would be awesome! I might even make it!

adamanteus
04-07-2008, 03:30 AM
hmmmm...July 2009 would be awesome! I might even make it!

That would be great, Sjoerd!:D

GartersRock
04-10-2008, 06:35 PM
What the heck! Why did you guys pic NC?? There is like, one garter species there!
lol! I would've voted for TX.

zooplan
04-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Do you have garters in Texas too?
I thought there was only oil and cows there.:D
I think NC is nice to reach from Europe and it should be a world meeting.
Maybe you can something interresting to the meeting,

EdgyExoticReptiles
04-11-2008, 01:18 PM
also although there are only easterns, there are many different color variations

Jenlang_79
06-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Besides, do we really want all those Americans over here (again)?;):eek:

Hey now!!!...be nice!!! We are not ALL that bad!! LOL!:p
I think it is a wonderful idea that can easily be acheived with a little dedication!! I am so excited to attend this!! I will definatly help set it up!!:D

Zephyr
06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Yep, 13 months to go. :P

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Hopefully we'll soon get an update from Sid, about his visit to NC this year.

Jenlang_79
06-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Just wanted to say...cannot be easter time..have to be with family. As for summer herping..I catch ALL kinds of snakes on hot summer days!! Garters can be found during the day out and about as for the others they come out when the sun goes down!! I think it is a great time to go herping other than when they first come out of hybernation..that would be the very best time.:)

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 02:46 PM
I will definatly help set it up!!:D

Here's a job for you then, Jenny... find us a camp site!:D As close to Wilmington Airport as possible. I e-mailed a few a while ago, but never received a response... I guess it was closed season then.

Also, anybody think we should hire a mini-bus to get us around while we're there? Just a thought!

Zephyr
06-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Also, anybody think we should hire a mini-bus to get us around while we're there? Just a thought!
Depends on how well the herping is there. :P

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Just wanted to say...cannot be easter time..have to be with family. As for summer herping..I catch ALL kinds of snakes on hot summer days!! Garters can be found during the day out and about as for the others they come out when the sun goes down!! I think it is a great time to go herping other than when they first come out of hybernation..that would be the very best time.:)

I think we have a consensus on the date now, Jenny. Not my personal choice... but the will of the majority! July '09.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/2646-date-world-meeting.html?highlight=date+world+meeting

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Depends on how well the herping is there. :P

My thoughts are there may be very little to see around our camp site/base. So we may need to get out and about to better herping spots.... a mini-bus would be better than a convoy of cars, don't you think?

Zephyr
06-13-2008, 03:09 PM
My thoughts are there may be very little to see around our camp site/base. So we may need to get out and about to better herping spots.... a mini-bus would be better than a convoy of cars, don't you think?Indeed. Our own chauffeur. :O

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Indeed. Our own chauffeur. :O

No Kyle... we'd drive it ourselves.;)

Zephyr
06-13-2008, 03:30 PM
No Kyle... we'd drive it ourselves.;)I'm not talking about hiring someone else; we'd have you chauffeur us. Of course, you may get the roads mixed up and run into oncoming traffic, but it's all in good fun, right?

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Me? OMG! But you guys drive on the wrong side of the road... and play country music on the radio all the time... I'd crash for sure!

Zephyr
06-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Me? OMG! But you guys drive on the wrong side of the road... and play country music on the radio all the time... I'd crash for sure!Whatever will we do about your dietary needs? We're going to have to post burgers behind pieces of fish n' chips until you realize they're food! :eek:

EdgyExoticReptiles
06-13-2008, 03:44 PM
well idk about NC but in California u have to have a special license to drive a bus or a large number of people

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Kyle... I have to stop you there... burgers are NOT food.:D

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 03:46 PM
well idk about NC but in California u have to have a special license to drive a bus or a large number of people

Is that not only if they are paying passengers, Reed? In the UK I could drive a full size bus on a regular licence... as long as I'm not taking fares.

Snake lover 3-25
06-13-2008, 03:50 PM
i'd really like to see james drive!!!!:D:D:D:D maybe i'll come after all!!!!!:p:p

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 03:51 PM
i'd really like to see james drive!!!!:D maybe i'll come after all!!!!!:p:p

You want to sit on my knee, don't you?;)

infernalis
06-13-2008, 03:52 PM
No one has to rent anything!! I live in New York state, 4 hours from JFK, or a shuttle flight can take you to an airport 20 minutes away. We can provide transportation for up to 3 people at a time.

there is 100 acres of private lands to herp in, campsites already here, and I would be proud to have this in my back yard, for free. it's already a park with camping:D

There is a 1000 acre state woods to hike, and take pictures, But I would be too afraid to gather anything from state land.

another big plus, not one venom producing snake to be found, the rattlesnakes live far from here, My lands lack the rock ledges preferred by the rattlesnakes.

So consider this as an invite to have it here.

Regards,
Wayne A. Harvey

Snake lover 3-25
06-13-2008, 03:54 PM
NO!!!!! You're BALD!!!!!!! LOLOL!!!!!!!!:D:D JK!!!!!!! JK!!!!!! :Dbut not really!!!!:D:D

You want to sit on my knee, don't you?http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/../images/smilies/wink.gif

EdgyExoticReptiles
06-13-2008, 03:54 PM
here in california it doesnt matter if you get paid

Is that not only if they are paying passengers, Reed? In the UK I could drive a full size bus on a regular licence... as long as I'm not taking fares.

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Well, Wayne... thank you so much....
Guys, what do you think? Maybe just what we need for out first Thamnophis. com meeting? Comments please.

Snake lover 3-25
06-13-2008, 04:28 PM
hmmm.... how far from rochester are you??? maybe i really can go!!!:D:D:D

Sid
06-13-2008, 04:35 PM
James and all,

I had no luck at all on NC camp sites with cabins. The ones with a few cabins were very quick to let me know they would not be able to accommodate a large group. I waited a while to update everyone as my son was still helping try to locate something suitable.

adamanteus
06-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Sid, what do you think of Wayne's generous offer?

No one has to rent anything!! I live in New York state, 4 hours from JFK, or a shuttle flight can take you to an airport 20 minutes away. We can provide transportation for up to 3 people at a time.

there is 100 acres of private lands to herp in, campsites already here, and I would be proud to have this in my back yard, for free. it's already a park with camping:D

There is a 1000 acre state woods to hike, and take pictures, But I would be too afraid to gather anything from state land.

another big plus, not one venom producing snake to be found, the rattlesnakes live far from here, My lands lack the rock ledges preferred by the rattlesnakes.

So consider this as an invite to have it here.

Regards,
Wayne A. Harvey

Sid
06-13-2008, 06:18 PM
The generous offer sounds great to me. I've really been very disappointed in the progress for plans in NC. My sons has continued trying for us, but still not any good news. If we need to change locations, so be it. As I said from the start, where ever, I'll be there.

SpyrotheGartersnake
06-13-2008, 06:39 PM
how about some place where there is more than one species of garter snake and how about during the summer of either 2009 or 2010 during the summer because its real hot and a longer period of time to look for snakes plus they will be found basking on rocks. how about one week for our meeting and we should bring transport tanks just in case if some people want to take a little snake home:D:D i think my family still has a campsite out in califorina...the campsite has three cabins near a lake i think we still have it but i'm going to have to check with my family the last time i was there was 2006

el lobo
06-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah! This would be awesome! I would recommend somewhere in the Midwest. I would definitely say 2009 at the VERY EARLIEST. possibly later? I am stoked.

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-13-2008, 07:16 PM
I think the new york idea is a great and a generous one... and hey... what's wrong with eastern garters?!?! they are INFINITELY variable in color and pattern :D

Snake lover 3-25
06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
yeah!!!! mine are ALL dif!!!!!!!

Josh
06-13-2008, 08:05 PM
PA all the way

infernalis
06-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Just remember, I found this 400 feet from my back door.....

http://www.reformedsniper.net/cane/red.jpg

and this guy was under the same board a few days later..

http://www.reformedsniper.net/chomp/milk.jpg

I just figured that East coast is a nice halfway point.

Regards,
Wayne

Jenlang_79
06-14-2008, 01:45 AM
I think we have a consensus on the date now, Jenny. Not my personal choice... but the will of the majority! July '09.
That's my birthday!! Perfect gift!! Are we going to waynes then? I should probably finish reading the thread before I ask quetions....lol!!

adamanteus
06-14-2008, 02:00 AM
I can see no reason to change venue, unless it is to accept Wayne's kind offer. I say yes, let's go to Wayne's place!:D

Jenlang_79
06-14-2008, 02:19 AM
I totally agree!! Wayne you are awsome!! Thankyou so much!!:):)

adamanteus
06-14-2008, 02:30 AM
Wayne, can you tell us more precisely where you are, please? I'd like to look at it on Google Earth.:)

dashnu
06-14-2008, 12:27 PM
I would love to go! Course I would be bringing two little bindi the jungle girls with me.

I think if this could actually be orginized it would be a blast. If it works out maybe the next on could be in Casco, Maine!! ;)

Snake lover 3-25
06-14-2008, 01:18 PM
yes wayne where do you live??? how far from rochester????:D:D

Zephyr
06-14-2008, 02:11 PM
That works too.
Aren't there maritimes in your area too?

Lori P
06-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Wayne, what an awesome offer, and I definitely vote yes to taking you up on it!!

infernalis
06-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Rochester is about 60-80 minutes away.

Interstate 390 travels southwest to interstate 86, outside Bath NY, then you are only 20 miles away.

The zip code is 14812 here, the name of the town is Beaver Dams, NY

My maps at DIRECTIONS to ROCKY ROOST (http://www.rockyroostmx.com/directions.html) are quite accurate.

Google search, Watkins Glen, and see what the area has to offer.

Finger lakes trail passes very close to my house, and a bunch of the woods are very quiet, there is tons of little brooks and streams, and the nerodia population is very healthy, I encounter them frequently.

I have a (older) camper (motor coach) that has 3 beds available, 2 extra sofas, and several places to pitch camp.

For those who want to camp, and travel light, just get an inexpensive sleeping bag and we will donate it to a local children's camp when you leave, as opposed to try and carry such a bulky thing on a plane.

I have a friend right up the street with a graphic studio who could make T shirts as a souvenir.

Regards,
Wayne A. Harvey

Snake lover 3-25
06-14-2008, 07:33 PM
so i live 30min south of rochester... so you're 30-60 mins away!!!:D:D but idk if my parents will let me go.... :(:(

drache
06-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Terry's near there too

el lobo
06-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Me? OMG! But you guys drive on the wrong side of the road... and play country music on the radio all the time... I'd crash for sure!

Haha...don't even go into stereotypes, James...I will have you know, I drive on the RIGHT side of the road, listen to Classic Rock and Jazz on the radio, and I eat fish and chips every saturday...NO CHEESEBURGERS! lol

Rochester, July '09....sounds like a blast! I can make it!

el lobo
06-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh, not Rochester...Wayne's place. I got it. Either way, I can do NYS.

Zephyr
06-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Hmm. I hope we get things worked out before next year comes. :P

Lulu Bennett
09-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Guys, i really want to join you all to this meeting but with college now it needs to be within the summer holidays. where did we decide on? and who still plans on coming. I really need to know the ins and out so i can find out how much i need to save for flights and accomodation and all that.
Lulu xxx

fantail
09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Sadly, no i wont be able to.
Being disabled and living on own, + no passport, i have to stay here. (no money ect.)
But all that is going have great fun. Just hope your weather is better than ours was.

Sid
09-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Guys, i really want to join you all to this meeting but with college now it needs to be within the summer holidays. where did we decide on? and who still plans on coming. I really need to know the ins and out so i can find out how much i need to save for flights and accomodation and all that.
Lulu xxx
Lulu, My understanding at this point on a date was last week of June or fist week of July of 2009. I do still plan on attending.

count dewclaw
09-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Ooo, I had stopped looking at this thread since I knew NC was out of the question. But at Waynes place, just 1 hour away it is so do-able!! The only complication may be if it is during the time my daughter's 4H Exchange Club is hosting a club from Montana....we shall see.

reptile3
09-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Anyplace I can drive to is fine with me( up to 15 hours)... 2009 works for me as well!!! I don't like to fly, i would rather drive!!:)

Lulu Bennett
09-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Lulu, My understanding at this point on a date was last week of June or fist week of July of 2009. I do still plan on attending.
I finish college on the 7th July so i would just miss it
would we be able to bump it on 2 weeks? i really want to have this oppertunity to meet everyone.

Sid
09-19-2008, 02:18 AM
I finish college on the 7th July so i would just miss it
would we be able to bump it on 2 weeks? i really want to have this oppertunity to meet everyone.
I don't see a problem with a slightly later date, Lulu. The whole idea is to plan this so that as many members as possible can attend if they wish to.

Lulu Bennett
09-20-2008, 07:09 PM
cool. where will we be stopping?

Garter_Gertie
09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I'd love to commit. To meet you all, enjoy your company and get down re: garters. But I don't think it's something I will be able to afford. Even if I drove. I love Fiona to death (she's green, is ugly and has "layers" that are peeling off... My precious Ogre!) but I'd not want to push her that far...

I WANT TO WIN THE LOTTERY!

Sid
09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
cool. where will we be stopping?
Sorry to be so late in replying, Lulu. The meeting will be at Wayne's.
The zip code is 14812 here, the name of the town is Beaver Dams, NY.

reptile3
09-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Sorry to be so late in replying, Lulu. The meeting will be at Wayne's.
The zip code is 14812 here, the name of the town is Beaver Dams, NY.

Meeting at Wayne's... ??

I am there!!!;)

Lulu Bennett
10-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Wayne,
I am looking into flights already so i know what price range to expect and was wondering what the nearest airport to yours.
There is 2 within 5 miles but wasn't sure about whether or not they were just airstrips for small aircrafts and which were international airports.
Thanks sweety
Lulu xxx

infernalis
10-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Lu - I have been over to your side of the pond, and the most direct and economical route is to go to JFK in N.Y. City and then take the shuttle to Elmira Regional Airport.

Unless you want a rental car, we can pick you up.

If camping should wash out, we have lots of extra room, sofas Hide a beds and a motor coach. (it's not road legal anymore, but it is comfy)

Of course anyone who travels that far should at least take a peek at some of the wonders near here.

Google "Watkins Glen" NY and check that out. We live minutes away!

reptile3
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Wayne are you around or near Nassau, NY?? Do you all know when this meet up will be happening? I would love to go... will pick up Aundrea in Ohio on the way up there!! :D

Lu - I have been over to your side of the pond, and the most direct and economical route is to go to JFK in N.Y. City and then take the shuttle to Elmira Regional Airport.

If camping should wash out, we have lots of extra room, sofas Hide a beds and a motor coach. (it's not road legal anymore, but it is comfy)

Of course anyone who travels that far should at least take a peek at some of the wonders near here.

infernalis
10-01-2008, 01:15 PM
We are out on the south west end of the state.

NYC / NJ is about 4 hours drive.

bsol
10-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Thats about a 3 or 4 hour drive for me.

Lulu Bennett
10-01-2008, 02:11 PM

How does the 20th July 2009 - 03rd August 2009 sound??

I will be booking tickets from Manchester Airport to New York JFK Airport.
I will try and get a morning flight for the way there and the night flight for the way back.
I will speak to James and find out if he will be joining me or if he will be letting me fly alone.
Do you know how much the shuttle from NY will be and how long it takes?
As for 'Watkins Glen' I will stop at yours and cook tea for all the big boys to get back from their play :rolleyes:
But i will be expecting some time to go snake hunting :D although i know that this will be happening lol.
How much will we be paying you for your hospitality?
Ooooooo I can't wait! It will be amazing hehehehe

infernalis
10-01-2008, 04:55 PM
PAY???? Um lets see, Pictures, fun, friends.... Could get expensive:D

I don't want anyones money for this......

The shuttle flights are inexpensive, Back when I did it in reverse, I drove a rental (Hired) car to JFK.

Lulu Bennett
10-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Is there really 65 people coming or is there alot of drop outs? we might be best finding out a more accurate figure. That would be kinda crazy lol
I am really looking forward to it lol

Snake lover 3-25
10-01-2008, 05:14 PM
lol i was just thinking that too:D but i hope i can come!!!!!! and if Meadow's babies are born and ready to go i can give you yours and of course anyone else who may want some:D

infernalis
10-01-2008, 05:16 PM
I hosted a forum meeting here about 5 years ago (Different unrelated)

At the time they organized it, 3/4 of the forum was to be here.

On the day we did it, 14 people showed up, Guess what? We still had a great time and talked about it for weeks after.

Made sure to rub the noses of every no show in it with pictures!

Garter_Gertie
10-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Oh, gosh. I so want to come and am so near tears. I SO BADLY want to meet you Lulu and talk to you. Just to meet you face to face! And James...

And Lori, and Tami, and an nauseum!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH, YOU GUYS!!! I've got to figure this out - how I can get there and afford to board Pigglettes and cats!

I just see no way I can swing it unless I win - truly - the lottery.

You guys are so lucky!!!!!!!!!! HOW FANTASTIC FOR YOU ALL!!!

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
omg!!! its at Wayne's!!! thats only a state away!!! ::jumps up and down for joy::

i am SOOO coming!!!

and I am kidnapping limon :p when you are not watching. you wont even notice because I'll be replacing him with this:

http://www.thebigzoo.com/images/products/thebigzoo/400/013000.jpg

Garter_Gertie
10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Too funny!

As busy as Dekay will be, he'll never notice, Shannon! LOL!

infernalis
10-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Shannon, Limon has been alone for some time, can he borrow your friend for a bit:rolleyes:

jitami
10-02-2008, 06:10 AM
And Lori, and Tami, and an nauseum!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, I can't be there either Gertie :( July is one of the busiest months for my kids and unless they hold water polo junior olympics in NY next summer(not likely) I'll be here on the other side of the country scrambling around and pinching pennies trying to get my kids everywhere they need to be. There is light at the end of the tunnel, tho... my guys are 16 and almost 15... this craziness won't last for too much longer... and I'm going to miss every second of it...

infernalis
10-02-2008, 06:13 AM
this craziness won't last for too much longer... and I'm going to miss every second of it...

Tami, that is so true...

My oldest kid is 25, the youngest is 9

So I will be doing this dad thing for a long time:eek:

jitami
10-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Really, though, Wayne, you only have 9 years before the last little one hits 18... 9 years will fly by so quickly... of course nothing magical happens at 18 and we can only hope that we've prepared them well enough that they become independent at some point :) (they have to, right? eventually? lol)

infernalis
10-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Yeah, but when Amanda (My 25 year old) bought a lakefront home with Al and my Grand daughter, I lost a best friend:(

They live a mere 5 miles away, and they are so wrapped up in their own lives, that my daughter flies by the house and beeps her horn. (That's the closest thing I get to a visit!)

Once upon a time, her and I were sewn together at the hip...

jitami
10-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah... that's what I'm worried about and having boys, it'll be even tougher. Guys tend to move where the girl wants... sigh... my mom is still very involved with our family and comes to all of my boys games, school functions, etc. but hubby's parents make no effort whatsoever to see the kids? Weird...

kurtnagel
10-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Is there really 65 people coming or is there alot of drop outs? we might be best finding out a more accurate figure. That would be kinda crazy lol
I am really looking forward to it lol
Lulu, that's great that you are already booking flights and making plans!

In my case, I'm definitely interested, but won't know for sure if I can actually make it until closer to the actual date. July 2009 is still a long ways off, but unless something major happens in either my finances or my personal life, I will be trying hard to be there.

zooplan
10-12-2008, 01:16 AM
If I want to go to the meeting (and I really like to) I have to make my plan now and start saving money or looking for a cheap flight.
It would be nice to fix a date and make some plans for the program.

Further it would be interesting to have even one European member with permission to im- and export snakes.

Lulu Bennett
10-12-2008, 02:56 AM
How does the 20th July 2009 - 03rd August 2009 sound??

Is everybody agreed on this date? I would struggle around it because of college.

Lori P
10-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Good for me...